• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath - we're screwed, right?

Finally!

Time for all the "I hope he has a cunning plan" jokes now?

ANY plan will do for now, given the cluster**** off this summer.

Quietly pleased with this appointment though. His time in Edinburgh and the fact we are keeping Stuart and Toby involved will hopefully mean we avoid the same pitfalls Irish did with culture/mentality etc.

Be interesting to watch because there is still a bit of recruitment necessary if he is to do owt!

Keeping my fingers crossed that there are signings which have either already been made and not announced it are very close to being finalised as we speak

A few rumours of potential signings I've heard, no idea how likely they are, probably not very in most cases:

Maxime Mermoz (Toulon)
Ben Volavola (Crusaders)
Sam Underhill (Ospreys)
Piers Francis (Auckland Blues)

Anyone heard anything more solid on any of those / heard any other rumours floating about? These are just the ones I could remember of the top of my head

The question is how many of those are rumours, and how many are speculations repeated often enough to become rumour.

As far as I'm aware Mermoz wants to stay at Toulon (and has a contract to do so), but Boudjellal keeps changing his mind as to whether he wants him; initially not, then wanting to keep, and signing a contract, and now potentially wanting rid again.
My take on this is that Mourat is "open to offers" which we know from the Steffon saga means "wants far more cash than anyone would pay, but likes to screw with people".

As far as I'm aware Volavola is a firm rumour, but probably reliant on the Priestland and Le Roux potentials; Priestland is going nowhere (yet) and Wasps have confirmed Le Roux; so Volavola may still be on the table; but looked at as a FB who can cover FH (and likely be away for the AIs).
My take is that we may offer him a contract, but on the understanding that his 2nd position is where he'd get most game-time; and possibly (Grrrr) on the understanding that he retire from international window. He may or may not be desperate enough to take that.

As far as I'm aware, Underhill is more to do with fan speculation of wanting him back in England (with some fanning from EddieJ), whilst he wants to stay studying in Cardiff; so Bristol Bath and Glaws being the obvious candidates, and Bath having the closest thing to a vacancy (and fantastic player to learn from for a couple of years).
My take is that we've probably been in touch, and expressed an interest; possibly for next year, possibly the year after.

As far as I'm aware, Francis is pure fan speculation - he's English, had a really good season of Super-rugby, which may well put him into consideration for England given the options available at IC there. Further to that he's thought to be out of contract (but with Blues holding an option on him) and plays in Bath's biggest position of weakness.
My take is that this is pure speculation; based on Bath fans being desperate for an IC (who can cover FH), looking around, and pulling his name out of the hat.

I reserve the right to be wrong on all of the above, but that's my interpretation (no inside sources of any of the above)

The question is how many of those are rumours, and how many are speculations repeated often enough to become rumour.

As far as I'm aware Mermoz wants to stay at Toulon (and has a contract to do so), but Boudjellal keeps changing his mind as to whether he wants him; initially not, then wanting to keep, and signing a contract, and now potentially wanting rid again.
My take on this is that Mourat is "open to offers" which we know from the Steffon saga means "wants far more cash than anyone would pay, but likes to screw with people".

As far as I'm aware Volavola is a firm rumour, but probably reliant on the Priestland and Le Roux potentials; Priestland is going nowhere (yet) and Wasps have confirmed Le Roux; so Volavola may still be on the table; but looked at as a FB who can cover FH (and likely be away for the AIs).
My take is that we may offer him a contract, but on the understanding that his 2nd position is where he'd get most game-time; and possibly (Grrrr) on the understanding that he retire from international window. He may or may not be desperate enough to take that.

As far as I'm aware, Underhill is more to do with fan speculation of wanting him back in England (with some fanning from EddieJ), whilst he wants to stay studying in Cardiff; so Bristol Bath and Glaws being the obvious candidates, and Bath having the closest thing to a vacancy (and fantastic player to learn from for a couple of years).
My take is that we've probably been in touch, and expressed an interest; possibly for next year, possibly the year after.

As far as I'm aware, Francis is pure fan speculation - he's English, had a really good season of Super-rugby, which may well put him into consideration for England given the options available at IC there. Further to that he's thought to be out of contract (but with Blues holding an option on him) and plays in Bath's biggest position of weakness.
My take is that this is pure speculation; based on Bath fans being desperate for an IC (who can cover FH), looking around, and pulling his name out of the hat.

I reserve the right to be wrong on all of the above, but that's my interpretation (no inside sources of any of the above)

I agree with all of the above.

I read elsewhere (can't remember where) that Blackadder considers Watson to be a winger and doesn't intend to play him at 15, so that may have explained the Le Roux link.

The fact that Le Roux is unlikely to be picked for SA makes him additionally valuable to Wasps, but there aren't many fullbacks of his class that aren't playing international rugby.

If they're looking for a top-class fullback, Stuart Hogg's been linked with Bristol a few times so could be worth a cheeky bid. Obviously Hogg would be away with Scotland for the international windows, but Homer is adequate cover at 15.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more links/speculation with possible signings for Bath given how close the start of the season is now.

Based on England performances and international chances he's probably right about Watson being a winger, the problem at Bath is dropping one of Roko and Banahan.

Based on England performances and international chances he's probably right about Watson being a winger, the problem at Bath is dropping one of Roko and Banahan.

Unless with the lack of any inside centres at Bath, Blackadder is considering shifting Banahan to 12.

Unless with the lack of any inside centres at Bath, Blackadder is considering shifting Banahan to 12.

Possibly? IIRC, he's played more at 13 than 12 when he's been used as a centre, but in theory, he could do a half-decent job in a SBW type of role.

They're still desperately short of backs though - weird there are no more rumours really.

The best side they can currently put out includes Watson, Roko and Banahan, so as 'Every Time Ref' said, if they're not playing Watson at 15, Banahan is the most likely to move from the wing.

That's on the assumption that they sign a better fullback though - I can't see the point of moving Watson to play Homer at 15.

Possibly? IIRC, he's played more at 13 than 12 when he's been used as a centre, but in theory, he could do a half-decent job in a SBW type of role.

They're still desperately short of backs though - weird there are no more rumours really.

The best side they can currently put out includes Watson, Roko and Banahan, so as 'Every Time Ref' said, if they're not playing Watson at 15, Banahan is the most likely to move from the wing.

That's on the assumption that they sign a better fullback though - I can't see the point of moving Watson to play Homer at 15.

Moving Watson to wing may be more to accommodate shifting Banahan to 12 rather than Homer to 15. I'm sure I've seen him in an England 12 shirt before, although it may have been an uncapped game.

With the players they have ATM I see the backline either being:
9. Fotuali'i
10. Ford
11. Watson
12. Banahan
13. JJ
14. Roko
15. Homer

or

9. Fotuali'i
10. Ford
11. Banahan
12. Priestland
13. JJ
14. Roko
15. Watson

To me, the first one looks much stronger.

Your first one is a possibility, but I would have thought it would be:

9. Foutali'i
10. Ford
11. Banahan
12. Bowden
13. Joseph
14. Rokoduguni
15. Watson

Mainly because all 7 are in their primary positions.

Banahan as a centre is an theory that has been tried many times. It is a categorically failed theory, to be tried only in emergency.
I'd play all of Bowden, Priestland and Clarke ahead of him at IC, and all of JJ, Bowden, Clarke and possibly Williams ahread of him at OC.

BPM's lineup is likely to start as first choice, though we could very easily see Rhys playing IC a lot as the yrear progresses

Unless of course Bath spectacularly pull off a raft of signings in the next couple of weeks.

Mermoz would be a good signing and would likely come in as the first choice 12 ahead of Bowden, although I'm not sure what his situation is re. playing for France. He wasn't in Noves' last squad, but IIRC, no players from the T14 play-off teams were included, so he may or may not be in the picture come the international windows.

Now the Super Rugby season is finished, I would have thought the SH is the place to go shopping - particularly with Blackadder's knowledge of who's who in the competition.

I'd say Bath need to target players in their mid-late 20s who are very good established players, but are not quite good enough to trouble the All Black, Wallaby or Bok selectors.

I'd always favour more EQP, but I just don't see other AP clubs selling to a rival this close to the start of the season.

Banahan as a centre is an theory that has been tried many times. It is a categorically failed theory, to be tried only in emergency.
I'd play all of Bowden, Priestland and Clarke ahead of him at IC, and all of JJ, Bowden, Clarke and possibly Williams ahread of him at OC.

BPM's lineup is likely to start as first choice, though we could very easily see Rhys playing IC a lot as the yrear progresses

Bang on. Banahan at 12 is an absolute emergency measure. If Blackadder has looked at video footage / spoken to the existing coaching team and decided Banahan is his inside centre then he isn't the quality of coach we all assumed!

Unless of course he's a genius who knows something we don't. After Eddie Jones's success with Hartley as captain / Haskell at 7 / Farrell at 12 I'm prepared to accept that as a possibility!

Someone posted on the Bath fans FB page that "a significant signing" is expected at 12 noon today.

We announced Garvey is captain for the first preseason game 5 mins ago.....not looking hopeful.

Someone posted on the Bath fans FB page that "a significant signing" is expected at 12 noon today.

Yeah, I think that person got confused between "an anouncement" (AKA: team's up!) and "a signing announcement".

Wishful thinking, basically. Even if we have something lined up. we won't be announcing until Bladders is there to claim it (or the player arrives at Bristol Airport).

Latest posts