• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best (and worst) Marquee Players

Worst for Bath I'd say it would be Faletau or he who must not be named (was he marquee?) Faletau is a quality player but has just been extremely unlucky with injuries.

Worst for Bath I'd say it would be Faletau or he who must not be named (was he marquee?) Faletau is a quality player but has just been extremely unlucky with injuries.
Could argue that's there's a good chance Mercer would still be around if not for Faletau too.

Could argue that's there's a good chance Mercer would still be around if not for Faletau too.
Itd be a very weak argument though, given that Mercer was generally selected whether Faketau was available or not, would not have developed the way he did were he not training and playing alongside Faketau, and that Mercer's reason for leaving were Eddie Jones, not Bath Rugby

I don't think so. Faletau was out injured and Mercer was our de facto starting 8. I think his reasons for leaving had nothing to do with Faletau and everything to do with the apparent toxic culture at Bath, coupled with his apparent England snub.

I did wonder if he wasn't quite playing to his usual standard at Warriors. Maybe, at 33, he's just gone slightly yet permanently off the boil; maybe it's just a (slightly protracted) loss of form. I guess time will tell.
It hasn't helped that Robson is the dominant 9 and Porter has looked very fresh so far. Hougaard did pick up an injury at the start of the season but has been very slow in both pace and movement with the ball.

Latest posts