• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Number 8 in World Rugby

You do realise flanker means player who scrums down on each side of the scrum? So makes little sense to call a
No.8 a central Flanker or third flanker when they don't pack down on the side of a scrum. They call him the no.8 because none of your suggested names really do justice to describing his position.

Tbf I agree it should be given a name. Base? Sounds bad because it's literal, but a prop's called a prop because they "prop" up the hooker. So calling the 8 a base because they're at the base of the scrum wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Tbf I agree it should be given a name. Base? Sounds bad because it's literal, but a prop's called a prop because they "prop" up the hooker. So calling the 8 a base because they're at the base of the scrum wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

How about wing-prop?

The equivalent of no8 in 13man rugby is lock, But we call our second rows both. Maybe third lock?

For a guy with such massive legs and shoulders he is a terrible ball carrier front on. His handoff is tasty though

i have a liking for "eight" one syllable and everyone knows what your talking about

if you feeling polysyllabic maybe we can go "number 8" or "8 man"

i think i'm on to something here

I disagree. If anything I think that Faletau is quite widely underrated. I think he's maybe the only 8 mentioned so far (maybe bar Read) that can perform the role of battering ram, link man as well as acting like an extra flanker, and all to the highest standard. He doesn't carry like Vunipola, offload like Read or work lie Heaslip, but unlike the others he can do all 3, which is why he's undoubtedly my Lions 8. Will never grab headlines like the others, but is none the less a world class player.

In an underperforming Welsh side it's worth mentioning Moriarty who had a chance to shine in Faletau's absence and he was someone to watch in the AI's.
Faletau will walk back in when he's fit though because he lifts the Welsh pack to another level. In that case I would put Moriarty in at 6 and let Warburton and Tipuric fight it out for 7
That might give Warburton the time to heal his injuries and get some of his hunger back.

On Isa, one for the future but too young at this stage to put in the top 3. Needs the experience to elevate his option taking. At the moment he's all about carrying which he does well but at the back of the scrum you need to have a few more clues about options.
Thats why I like having a captain playing at 8.

Last edited:
You do realise flanker means player who scrums down on each side of the scrum? So makes little sense to call a
No.8 a central Flanker or third flanker when they don't pack down on the side of a scrum. They call him the no.8 because none of your suggested names really do justice to describing his position.

Well in afrikaans we call the no.8 an "Agsteman" which translated to English is "Eighth Man". But in Afrikaans it makes more sense as not only does it mean the eighth man in the scrum but also the man behind the scrum or at the back of the scrum as back in Afrikaans is "Agter" or "Agterste".

Come to think of it, isn't the term No.8 a relatively new term for that position just like second-five-eight? Wasn't it always called Eighth Man?

Also why is sigesige still on this forum when he constantly goes off topic in threads???

back to the topic at hand. For me at the moment I'd pick Vunipola at the top of the list with a whisker ahead of Read, with Heaslip coming in at 3.

But If I were to look at the past few years or so, my selection would be:

1. Duane Vermeulen
2. Kieran Read
3. Sergio Parisse

I certainly wouldn't know who to put where as I haven't followed too much rugby lately. Read, Parisse and Picamoles never seem too far from the picture and I was impressed with what I've seen from Isa as a newbie in the RC. Vermeulen has been out of favor being outspoken and critical of the rugby situation in SA. Whiteley has been doing about what one would expect from a decent player in a struggling team. Can't say I've followed many other teams all that closely but I do know Heaslip and Faletau are classy players when fit... so... yeah, pretty pointless post from me, sorry.

Base scrum forward or Back of the scrum forward? Still doesn't really have a great ring. But certainly not the ones previously suggested by sigesige.

Anyway I digress from the main point of this thread i.e. who is the form no.8 in the World. In the last 4 years - Read, but this year probably Billy V. But special mentions to Heaslip, who has been immense this year in the matches I've seen him.

I seem to remember Germans having a really awesome name for number 8s.

I know, I checked wiki, it might have been the flanker name that I was thinking of, but I'm sure someone said it was something like Sturmboscher.

Depends what you want.

Ball carrying 8 - Vunipola
All rounder - Read (I hate picking Kiwis for these things because its easier to shine on a winning team. Read is good though)

I enjoy watching Picamoles the most though.

Is Vunipola the best ball carrier in the world at the moment? (Not just out of 8s)

Last edited:
I have an idea.

Why don't we call this position "Number 8"?

Props prop, hookers hook (well they used to), locks lock and flankers flank.

The 8 is on his own with no proscribed scrum role in his ***le.

You could always call him "Channeller, ball controller, pusher & picker upper" but it doesn't quite have the same ring :D

Read's had a couple of form slumps, but his rugby brain is excellent. I don't really think there's really that much more competition. Vuni is a strong ball carrier but Read is so much better guys, let's be honest.

Depends what you want.

Ball carrying 8 - Vunipola
All rounder - Read (I hate picking Kiwis for these things because its easier to shine on a winning team. Read is good though)

I enjoy watching Picamoles the most though.

The AB's are a winning team because everyone is good. ;-)

I enjoy watching Picamoles and Parisse. Big fast, aggressive.

Latest posts