• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Number 8 in World Rugby

My uncle use to play Number 8 use to tell the same joke

Coach: "Okay Jeff your number 8"
My Uncle "But it says H on my back"

I'm just going to go with Parisse. He's pretty much the only #8 who would get into any team in the world (and incumbent 8's would have to move around). Imagine him behind a NZ pack, and it's just scary.

He might get in a Super team, he wouldn't get into the wider training squad for the ABs, too much competition, too much talent.

Hes at the end of his career. The ABs aren't SA or England, ffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Number 8 is a position that really depends on other players to be good. Give me ball carrying flankers and locks and I want Read or Heaslip, a less abrasive pack will have me wanting Vunipola. They're the three best imo, two of the most intelligent players in the game and a pure freak.

Good call.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that over the last few years Read has been by far and away the best 8 in the world, but as you said, he's getting in a bit. That combined with fatigue after a very long year means that, on current form, there are 8s playing better rugby. Read really didn't stand out this Autumn, and was, IMO, outshined by Heaslip, Picamoles and Vunipola (in the games he played). Isa's immense form in the RC meant that I don't think Read was the 8 playing best in that competition either.

Over the years it was noticeable that when Read had to carry the leadership can, his game slipped a bit. I was very critical of his play when he subbed for McCaw, but I was happy to eat my words as he has come back to be able to perform both roles with aplomb.

I still believe that being captain knocks a few points off his role as number 8, but even with that 'handicap', he's still one of the best in the game.

I don't believe his loss of form, if you can call it that, is due to tiredness or age, just that he's got a whole lot of other things going on on the field that he has to manage along with being a world-class back-rower.

Take the burden of the captaincy off him and I think he would be the stand-out player in his position.

And while I may be a Kiwi, I'm an avowed Wellingtonian and you can stick your Canterbury jersey up yer a*se! :D He gets no special favours from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well in afrikaans we call the no.8 an "Agsteman" which translated to English is "Eighth Man". But in Afrikaans it makes more sense as not only does it mean the eighth man in the scrum but also the man behind the scrum or at the back of the scrum as back in Afrikaans is "Agter" or "Agterste".

Come to think of it, isn't the term No.8 a relatively new term for that position just like second-five-eight? Wasn't it always called Eighth Man

Depends what you mean by 'recent'. Number 8 and first-five-eighth have been what they have been called in NZ for all of my fifty-odd years.

Certainly we have some funny nomenclature, though - everyone else has two centres, where we have only one and a second-five. England has a standoff, where we have a first five. Most countries call it a scrum-half, we just call it halfback.

Regardless, I will go to my grave calling it a number 8. There's no need to change for changes sake, but you can call it what you like, as long as it's clear what the position you are describing is.

And while I may be a Kiwi, I'm an avowed Wellingtonian ...

A lamentable burden.
Condolences.

Depends what you mean by 'recent'. Number 8 and first-five-eighth have been what they have been called in NZ for all of my fifty-odd years.
Certainly we have some funny nomenclature, though - everyone else has two centres, where we have only one and a second-five. England has a standoff, where we have a first five. Most countries call it a scrum-half, we just call it halfback.

Stand-off is a rugby league term, unacceptable to a purist.

Regardless, I will go to my grave calling it a number 8.

Amen.

A lamentable burden.
Condolences..

Not so very hard to bear, this year... but then there's the Lions... :(

Not so much a case of 'always a bridesmaid', more one of 'quick, shut her in the cupboard, company's coming!'

While in the U.K., I had the pleasure (?) of supporting those Exiles what play in Reading. It must have been the craic, because it sure wasn't for the trophies!

Last edited:
The rugby is running hot in Wellington, I was thinking more of the weather, and the shakes.
I lived there for a year as a kid on the Adelaide road and then 6 months when i was an adult, in Thorndon

It is. I guess Jamie Heaslip is the next taxi on the rank for the Lions No 8?

At least we won't have to go further down the line. Heaslip is indestructible. Chap doesn't do injuries.

[QUOTE=Caitlyn Jenner;830600
1 - Read
2 - Vunipola
3 - isa
4 - picamoles
5 - Faletau
6 - lobbe

Not worrying at all then! Heaslip is one guy, along with Best, that I want to go from the Irish camp, Heaslip has been the best Lion over the past two tours.

Stuck bringing in a World Rugby player of the year nominee. Gutted!

Not stuck or worrying at all. Just seems that Heaslip's name was lower down the order behind BillyV and Faletau when selecting the Lions No8 in the prospective Lions thread.

At least we won't have to go further down the line. Heaslip is indestructible. Chap doesn't do injuries.

Tell that to Pascal Papé's knee! To be fair, that only kept him out for a couple of months.

He played 3 or 4 weeks later after breaking a vertebrae! Hasn't been injured since!

He was out from 15th March until 17th May according to Stat Bunker, but maybe that is missing some lower level comeback games, but I digress.

Latest posts