• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Biarritz v Northampton - Pool 6

A

An Tarbh

Last season's finalists begin their campaign at home to Northampton with several injury worries to contend with. Biarritz's team is weakened by injuries to Italian centre Andrea Masi, and especially in the back-row to captain Thomas Lièvremont, French international flanker Imanol Harinordoquy. Biarritz haven't been setting the Top14 alight but given this match is at home they should prove too strong for the Saints, had it been at Franklin's Garden then I'd be backing the Saints.

As for the Saints, Darren Fox will skipper the side for Sunday's fixture, Hooker Steve Thompson also resumes his place in the front row following three weeks out with a calf strain, but Robbie Kydd is out after tearing him hamstring with Rob Laird replacing him. David Gerard will make his first start of the season in the place of injured Christian Short. Ben Cohen has been named subject to a fitness test.

Unfortunately for both teams they've been dealt the misfortune of having Malcolm Changleng in charge of such a massive fixture. The man isn't fit to ref in the Magner's league so how the powers that be have decreed him fit for the HEC is beyond me.

Biarritz Olympique: 15 Nicolas Brusque, 14 Jean-Baptiste Gobelet, 13 Romain Cabannes, 12 Damien Traille, 11 Sereli Bobo, 10 Julien Peyrelongue, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Benjamin Noirot, 7 Mohammed Dridi, 6 Serge Betsen, 5 David Couzinet, 4 Jerome Thion, 3 Denis Avril, 2 Benoit August ©, 1 Petru Balan.
Replacements: 16 Kasiano Lealamanua, 17 Hedley Wessels, 18 Santiago Dellappe, 19 Gonzalo Padro, 20 Julien Dupuy, 22 Benjamin Dambielle.

Northampton Saints: 15 Rob Laird, 14 Sean Lamont, 13 Chris Wyles, 12 David Quinlan, 11 Ben Cohen, 10 Luke Myring, 9 Mark Robinson, 8 Daniel Browne, 7 Darren Fox (captain), 6 Paul Tupai, 5 David Gerard, 4 Damien Browne, 3 Pat Barnard, 2 Steve Thompson, 1 Tom Smith.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 Chris Budgen, 18 Matt Lord, 19 Mark Easter, 20 Ian Vass, 21 Johnny Howard, 22 Paul Diggin.

Referee: Malcolm Changleng

i watched the match and biarritz has a huge defense. Traille had again a very good match (he still has like we say here a mamouth kick) and the score could hae been wider if yachvili had been in form (surporising he did only a 1/5).
Again serelli bobo has shown he was one of the greatest winger in europe, and he could be a big threat for teams playing the PI.
but that match could have been different for the saints with spencer playing, but only for the kicks, not for tries scoring ! the front row of biarritz was too big for northampton yesterday i think.

i watched the match and biarritz has a huge defense. Traille had again a very good match (he still has like we say here a mamouth kick) and the score could hae been wider if yachvili had been in form (surporising he did only a 1/5).
Again serelli bobo has shown he was one of the greatest winger in europe, and he could be a big threat for teams playing the PI.
but that match could have been different for the saints with spencer playing, but only for the kicks, not for tries scoring ! the front row of biarritz was too big for northampton yesterday i think.
[/b]

Biarritz showed some weeakness in the second half and a stronger opponent could have changed the outcome of this match.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Biarritz showed some weeakness in the second half and a stronger opponent could have changed the outcome of this match.
[/b][/quote]

It sounds like had the Saints had our proper backline playing then the game may have been there for the taking.

Disappointing not to come away with a bonus point, but 12 points in Biarritz is no disgrace, especially considering the names we had missing.

yep but the first half was too crap to play for the win... despite the better period in 2nd half. but the saints couldn't find any solution to score any try. i think, backline or not, they just couldn't have won, 'cause of the front row.

i think, backline or not, they just couldn't have won, 'cause of the front row.
[/b]

We didn't have our first choice front row out either...

Keep in mind also that Yachvili had very poor kicking day, it happens. The BO should have scored more points, they got the bonus point nevertheless thanks to the four tries they scored.

Latest posts