• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blair replaces O'Leary

A

An Tarbh

Just seen on the Lions website that Mike Blair has been called up to replace Tomás O'Leary, thought they'd wait until the Quinlan hearing was done and go with a triple anouncement for him and Shanklin's place as well.

Not too happy with Blair, not surprised that he's gone for the more phsyical scrum half given that's what he'd gotten with O'Leary but a marked difference in form nonetheless. A good game against a second string Leinster side doesn't quite paper over the cracks of his Six Nations performances.

Given he's gone for Blair I'd be surprised to see another fly half being selected instead of Shanklin.

EVENTUALLY!!!

He kinda deserves it for being nominated World Player of the Year and having an immense Autumn

I refuse to go into an argument because it will spoil the thread.

Anyway Blair is the man reckon he will push Phillips and Ellis all the way for a test spot.

Bizarre that Ellis is even in the original squad, i mean he's a becncwarmer at Leicester behind a non international SH.

That's a good point by An Tarbh though Cymro.

Personally I think there wasn't enough experience in the scrumhalf stocks for the Lions but Blairs' selection changed that. Glad to see he's coming to SA

I've no objection to him touring if he shows the form of last year but he's a waste of a tourist if he plays like he did during the Six Nations and then we're stuck with 2 gimps and no competition for Phillips.

Yeah I'm in same boat as An Tarbh in a way. I thought he should have toured on the basis of what I've seen all throughout this season at Edinburgh, but is poor form (by his standards) was a concern. He seems to have pulled his finger out though, so hopefully behind a pack on the front foot he'll cause some carnage. Glad to see he's going though - I might even consider supporting the Lions now!

Re-the question surrounding Shanklin - if they bring another ten who will it be? Flood's injured so we're realisitically left with Hook and Godman. And as good as Godman has been for Edinburgh in the past few games, I'd be surprised if he went. Hook's not played much at all at ten this year, has he? Interesting thought, though let's be honest they'll take another centre probably.

yer man vesty wouldn't surprise at all. Seems a pretty handy operator from what I've seen of him.

Roberts is having a scan today so he's not out of the woods yet, but Vesty or D'Arcy seem the only options for centre with Evans pretty much ruled out now as well, don't think Tindall or Noon are good enough.

I re-iterate Schalk's 'sense prevails' remark. Don't see who else they could've picked to be fair. And he was nominated for Player of the Year last season, which is more than you can say for the others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 11 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I re-iterate Schalk's 'sense prevails' remark. Don't see who else they could've picked to be fair. And he was nominated for Player of the Year last season, which is more than you can say for the others.[/b]

wow that's so relevant to his form this season.

Cusiter hasnt even been playing much for Perpignan, i gurantee Blair will play well on the tour, i really have a good feeling that he knows he's been given a second chance and he will take it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ May 12 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i gurantee Blair will play well on the tour, i really have a good feeling that he knows he's been given a second chance and he will take it.[/b]

I think Mike Blair will probably end up starting the Tests. Hes definitely on the Test bench ahead of Harry Ellis.

Well, it just depends on how well they play in the build up matches