• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Leary Out - who should be called up?

G

g6mcg

Tomas O’Leary appears likely to miss the tour who do you think should/will be called up?

Probable/Possible Options:

Peel
Stringer
Blair
Cusiter
Care (I hope not)
Cooper (Not sure if he is still injured. Even if not he shouldn’t go if players are supposed to have to “prove themselvesâ€)

I’d take Cusiter, though he is a different type of player to O’Leary, but I think Peel, he isn’t injured is he?, will go.

Blair and Peel are World Class. The rest are just adequate replacements. I'd be very surprised if Geech picks someone else.

http://munsterrugby.ie/9505.php
Confirmation that it's a fractured ankle :(

Blaire or Cussiter for me. Peel's a great player but hasn't exactly had the chance to set the world aliite this year. so he can't go....by the by, what age is Blair and what age is Peel?

Mike Blair has to be the one.

He's back on form and was nominated for IRB Player of the Year last year. Yes, perhaps he didn't merit it but it shows highly thought of he is.

I read an interesting piece about the Lions management not selecting any of the other Home Nations captains for the squad so O'Connel has absolute command on the field. Interesting take on it. If that is the case then Blair will miss out, though he should of been there in the 1st place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 25 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://munsterrugby.ie/9505.php
Confirmation that it's a fractured ankle :(

Blaire or Cussiter for me. Peel's a great player but hasn't exactly had the chance to set the world aliite this year. so he can't go....by the by, what age is Blair and what age is Peel?[/b]

Blair is 28, Peel 27

On the idea that O'Connell needs absolute leadership, doesn't the prescence of O'Driscoll contradict that?

well brian and paulie are kind of used to having the other bossing players around at this stage so it shouln't be a problem. I'd like to see blair go myself he definitely has the quality and lets be honest hes used to being behind packs going backwards which is something we're probably going to have to live with!

Cussiter would be my choice because he brings something different than the other two already picked. Anytime he came on during the 6N, Scotland's intensity was instantly raised, his passing was much sharper than Blair's and his ability to find a gap is as good as most scrum halves around.

Not sure Perpignan would be too pleased to lose another player though for the play offs.

It better be Mike Blair, if it's not I'm calling shenanigans...you never know, he might call in another fly-half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Apr 26 2009, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the idea that O'Connell needs absolute leadership, doesn't the prescence of O'Driscoll contradict that?[/b]
Now you're just being logical. These Saffers think like women.

Cussiter for me, because nobody's going to want Stringer's experience.

I just wonder does Stringer have an outside chance given that partnerships have been a big mantra so far from McGeechan.

Think they will delay the announcement of the replacement for a while, give possible scrum halfs options a chance to prove themselves.

Blair didn't really do himself any favours tonight, had an ok game, but nothing special. It's between Blair, Peel, Cussiter and Care. And of those four I'd choose one of Peel or Cussiter, both offer something different to Phillips and Ellis. They both get the ball out quickly and offer a different threat from the back of a ruck.

My Welsh bias will lead me to pick Peel as he's the one that is trully world class on his day.

I'd take Cusiter. Played well when he came on for Scotland, and had Blair not been captain he would probably have been dropped for him. Might also be the rocket up Blair's arse he needs. Wouldn't mind Peel going to be honest, but I hope Cusister or Blair gets to go.

Cusiter, while very able and experienced does have a nasty streak of bad luck when it comes to injuries. Chances of doing himself in on a mid-week game are pretty high to be brutally honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 27 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cussiter for me.

A proper impact player that could change a game.[/b]

I like Care for the same reason,, providing he proves he doesn't go batty in big games still :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Apr 27 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I like Care for the same reason,, providing he proves he doesn't go batty in big games still :)[/b]

A bit too late to prove that now though isnt it?

Nahhh Cussiter is far more reliable and has far more of an impact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 27 2009, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cusiter, while very able and experienced does have a nasty streak of bad luck when it comes to injuries. Chances of doing himself in on a mid-week game are pretty high to be brutally honest.[/b]

well it didn't happen last time, had it not been for Peel he would have been test scrum half in NZ, went very well in the midweek games so that might see him higher up the pecking order than expected, especially considering it was McGeechan he was primarily working with.

Latest posts