4. Kruis, 5. AWJ
6. POM, 7. Warburton, 8. Faletau
9. Murray, 10. Sexton
12. T'eo, 13. Davies
11. Watson, 14. North, 15. Halfpenny

16. George, 17. McGrath, 18. Sinckler
19. Itoje, 20. SOB
21. Webb, 22. Farrell, 23. Williams.

It's hard to see Liam Williams near. I was all for him at start of tour but he's possibly had worst tour of the whole squad. Him and Laidlaw.

If we have only one, I would rather pick O'Brien over O'Mahoney on what I've seen this tour. Both top players and I'd have picked POM of the two originally, but if Warburton comes in he will do better covering the lineout and breakdown work of O'Mahoney than trying to fill in for O'Brien as a ball carrier.

I'm fairly sure that Gats has decided on most of the side now and the only question remains whether Warburton and AWJ can be squeezed in.

Daly should have the 23 shirt at least but we haven't actually seen him get his skates on yet. Seymour has probably been the form wing, along with Watson, but I doubt Seymour will get a look in.

If we have only one, I would rather pick O'Brien over O'Mahoney on what I've seen this tour. Both top players and I'd have picked POM of the two originally, but if Warburton comes in he will do better covering the lineout and breakdown work of O'Mahoney than trying to fill in for O'Brien as a ball carrier.

I'm fairly sure that Gats has decided on most of the side now and the only question remains whether Warburton and AWJ can be squeezed in.

Daly should have the 23 shirt at least but we haven't actually seen him get his skates on yet. Seymour has probably been the form wing, along with Watson, but I doubt Seymour will get a look in.

Really? Both games he's played, the opposition winger has had him on toast, including the amateur in the Barbarians game. He scored a good try but other than that he's done nothing.

AWJ for Itoje; Maro to the bench as he will be the better finisher. If AWJ starts then I think he'll be captain. Just can't see Warburton justifying a starting spot ahead of POM and SOB. The POM, SOB, Faletau also has a great balance, which I'd be loathe to change.

Farrell is the big conundrum - if his injury is going to take a week to get over, then I think save him for the second test, and keep Murray- Sexton combo at 9 and 10.

Other than that the rest of the starting 15 which started today and the bench as well, with Maro in for Henderson, Webb for Laidlaw.

AWJ for Itoje; Maro to the bench as he will be the better finisher. If AWJ starts then I think he'll be captain. Just can't see Warburton justifying a starting spot ahead of POM and SOB. The POM, SOB, Faletau also has a great balance, which I'd be loathe to change.

Farrell is the big conundrum - if his injury is going to take a week to get over, then I think save him for the second test, and keep Murray- Sexton combo at 9 and 10.

Other than that the rest of the starting 15 which started today and the bench as well, with Maro in for Henderson, Webb for Laidlaw.

That AWJ just depresses me. I don't think he has performed well enough and the constant argument of experience is lacking at best. These are top level players and there is plenty of experience across the squad. I don't see it as a good enough reason to include him.

That AWJ just depresses me. I don't think he has performed well enough and the constant argument of experience is lacking at best. These are top level players and there is plenty of experience across the squad. I don't see it as a good enough reason to include him.

In an ideal world yes Itoje would start and Krutoje would be retained. But it boils down to that the big E word, but also Maro just having a bigger impact than AWJ from the bench. Also just can't see Gatland not picking both AWJ or Warburton to start. If Gatland were to really stay true to his word that this tour isn't about Sam (we all know deep down it is and Gatland thinks of him as a son over even his own) then he won't break up the POM, SOB, Faletau backrow combo. Or more that is my preference.

Shut up.... ;) Dislike!

Seriously I totally agree with you here, Itoje should be played over AWJ. He's experienced enough.

Sickening but ultimately true. The line up for Waikato confirms it. Good chance Warburton starts and AWJ on the bench at very least. At odds to recall one decent overall contribution warburton has made in his appearances. A weak Lions captain for me.

In an ideal world yes Itoje would start and Krutoje would be retained. But it boils down to that the big E word, but also Maro just having a bigger impact than AWJ from the bench. Also just can't see Gatland not picking both AWJ or Warburton to start. If Gatland were to really stay true to his word that this tour isn't about Sam (we all know deep down it is and Gatland thinks of him as a son over even his own) then he won't break up the POM, SOB, Faletau backrow combo. Or more that is my preference.
If Gatland does not pick either of warburton and AWJ to start, when neither has been head or tails above any other players on the tour, then I will eat my sh1ttiest of skidmarked shorts.

1. Vunipola

His hands, ability to hold the defender before passing, his improved scrummaging and ability to get him over the gain line, he's a phenomenal loosehead now, and his ability in the loose just edges out Jack McGrath. McGrath has an extra dimension scrummaging wise if we look to eke out some late penalties and dominate that area, too, so its nip & tuck but I would call Mako

2. George

Despite having least international experience, he's been a revelation, in the loose and the tight, his set piece has been outstanding and he looks the most comfortable on the ball and around the park

3. Furlong

Dan Cole was demolished late on by HL Loosehead, who got right under him, and he provides nothing in the losoe other than penalties. Sinckler could add something here, and I'd love to see that, but think he's a little rough around the edges still, and Furlong has shown more composure as well as dominating the All blacks both in the scrum and the loose in November

4. Kruis

This man does so much unseen dirty work, and is a requirement for the starting Lock

5. Itoje

Fast, Mobile, his tackling technique is superb, good over the ball, and a great rugby brain, AWJ has not looked sharp enough for me, and Henderson is maybe a bit too up and down. Lawes has looked good, but worried about how big that head knock will be for him, and think Itoje just has that little bit more X Factor that we really desperately need

6. Peter O'Mahony

He'll be at the bottom of every ruck, great for another lineout option, gets stuck in tackle wise, and he drives on those around him, leading from the front. Defensively is sublime and cant be left out really

7. O'Brien

Immense. Warbs not showing the form, and Tipuric to come on for the broken field of last 20 minutes

8. Faletau

Self-Explanatory

9. Murray

Self-Explanatory

10. Sexton

Oh to See Ford/Russell combined with Farrell at 12.. alas, its not to be, so Sexton will come in here, and hopefully come into form and click when he's needed most
Our inside centres have such poor passing abilities, we need two ball players at 10/12

11. North

Again has that little bit of magic, and hoping Sexton's rap around plays, and the playmaking abilities of 10/12 can bring him more into the game

12. Farrell

See 10

13. Elliott Daly

He's been switched around a bit this tour position wise, but his Electric pace, and big boot, combined with his handling which is excellent, mean I think he should be starting 13. Not expecting it to happen, but I wish it would

14. Watson

Shown enough ability so far in tight spaces to stand out from the rest of the wingers brought along, has to start somewhere.

15. Halfpenny

Its inevitable, so why even argue the point. I'd prefer Liam Williams, but its not going to happen

16. Owens
17. McGrath
18. Sinckler
19. Henderson (Can change a game on its head, brings more impact than Alun Wyn)
20. Tipuric
21. Webb
22. Henshaw
23. Williams
Agree with your Farrel Sexton bit, but has Farrell even had a start at centre? He got shifted out in one match, but has he started for the lions there? I honestly think T'eo has played himself into the test XV and Davies is just too welsh. I think Farrell is a sub, certainly if he is carrying a knock.

Agree with your pack hands down, but can see warburton, even AWJ having a shout, simply because, well, you know....

The real toss ups for me are our wingers were nobody has looked bloody useful at all. They've all been cr@p. I will put my next mortgage payment on 1/2 pint at full back for reasons too obvious to everyone.

Last edited:
Sickening but ultimately true. The line up for Waikato confirms it. Good chance Warburton starts and AWJ on the bench at very least. At odds to recall one decent overall contribution warburton has made in his appearances. A weak Lions captain for me.

Its unfair that Warburton will keep one of the Irish lads out (he hasn't earned it) but i wouldn't be concerned about his performance level. He'll hit the ground running on Saturday, always does in big games. On Sunday the majority here will be including him in their side for the second test. The sad part is the Irish player dropped isn't given the chance to prove they can do the same in the test. Opportunity cost as it were and the benefit of being Welsh for Warburton.

AWJ is another matter. From what i can see Gatland is really weakening the team by including him. He'll make tackles and is honest as the day is long but thats nothing when compared to what Itoje adds to the game.

If I were Gatland (and lets be clear my idea of whats best is obviously very different to this) I'd like to see this a test lineup in the backs.

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Farrell
13. JJ (I'd love to see what he could do with essentally an English style axis with a brllliant 9)
14. Will someone please please please put their hand up, any Wing could take this Nowell would of been my pick pre-tour but eh....
15. Watson (I hope eddie took note, Watson plays here for club and is far better than Brown he fits the Hogg mould best)
Good luck with any of that after 10.......with the exception of welsh players mentioned.

1/2p WILL start as 15
I think it'll be Davies and T'eo as centres.
Wings are a complete toss up - we look decidedly rubbish on the wings. Weakest I recall any of lions side. No one has looked secure under kick or threatening in attack. Watson has been the best in terms of his performance on tour. Him and north perhaps? North has been crud too in fairness.

Farrel will not start IMHO. Shame that.

Last edited:
Good luck with any of that after 10.......with the exception of welsh players mentioned.

1/2p WILL start as 15
I think it'll be Davies and T'eo as centres.
Wings are a complete toss up - we look decidedly rubbish on the wings. Weakest I recall any of lions side. No one has looked secure under kick or threatening in attack. Watson has been the best in terms of his performance on tour. Him and north perhaps? North has been crud too in fairness.

Farrel will not start IMHO. Shame that.
I did post this before the weekends game.

Wyn Jones and Warburton will be drafted in. I'd be astonished if Gatland leaves out either. Teo will also play even though himself and Davies 12 and 13 is a death sentence for the wingers.

It'll be

1.Vunipola
2.George
3.Furlong
4.AWJ
5.Kruis
6.Warburton
7.SOB
8.Faletau
9.Murray
10.Farrell (even though he'll pay lip service to Itoje and POM this is his only real headache)
11.Doesn't matter
12.Teo
13.Davies
14.Doesn't matter
15.Doesn't matter but this one will kick.

Agree that the outsider backs basically don't matter.
Only areas of disagreement:
I don't think AWJ will start. Itoje + Kris
I'm 50/50 re Vunipola and McGrath.
I think Gatland may surprise us and choose POM to start at 6, benching Warburton.

I reckon it will be
This is the side I would like to see based on form (exception 1. Vunipola, 2. Owens, 3. Furlong
4. Kruis, 5. AWJ
6. POM, 7. Warburton, 8. Faletau
9. Murray, 10. Sexton
12. T'eo, 13. Davies
11. Watson, 14. North, 15. Halfpenny

16. George, 17. McGrath, 18. Sinckler
19. Itoje, 20. SOB
21. Webb, 22. Farrell, 23. Williams.
FR-Vunipola, George, Furlong
SR-Kruis, Itojoe
BR-POM, Warbs, Falatau
HB-Murray, Sexton
C - Teo, Davies
B3-Watson, Williams, 1/2 penny

Bench Owens, Mcgrath, Sincklar, AWJ, Tips, SOB, Webb, Farrell.

A 6 - 2 Bench split is a bit radical, however Tips is capable of playing in the centre if needed.

FR-Vunipola, George, Furlong
SR-Kruis, Itojoe
BR-POM, Warbs, Falatau
HB-Murray, Sexton
C - Teo, Davies
B3-Watson, Williams, 1/2 penny

Bench Owens, Mcgrath, Sincklar, AWJ, Tips, SOB, Webb, Farrell.

A 6 - 2 Bench split is a bit radical, however Tips is capable of playing in the centre if needed.

And Sinckler can cover 9.