• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Opening test line up predictions

While I tend to agree that Gats has a rather large Welsh bias, he's choosing the wrong Welsh. If it was Tips and Williams over Halfpenny and Warbs I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not convinced we need two carriers at 12/13 but at least we have either Daly or JJ to mix things up a little bit if needed.

Howver if AWJ gets a starting role over Itoje, or even a bench role over Lawes that will confirm everything we need to know :D
Well, I have no doubt that will happen. AWJ is at least on the bench.... Rather confirmed by him beings little used sub in Waikato. He's likely sub for the test. Lawes played ok, and has had a rough go. It's out of his hands.

While I tend to agree that Gats has a rather large Welsh bias, he's choosing the wrong Welsh. If it was Tips and Williams over Halfpenny and Warbs I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not convinced we need two carriers at 12/13 but at least we have either Daly or JJ to mix things up a little bit if needed.

Howver if AWJ gets a starting role over Itoje, or even a bench role over Lawes that will confirm everything we need to know :D
Well, I have no doubt that will happen. AWJ is at least on the bench....

I think any other head coach who was selecting based on form and fitness wouldn't even have Warburton, AWJ, North and 1/2P in the 23. The first three have been given way too much time and allowance in the hope that they will hit form/fitness in time for the tests. 1/2P's kicking wouldn't be required if Farrell was playing at 12.
Will be surprised if 2 of this 4 do not start the test. Would not surprise me all 4 start. Even if I agree, none has looked totally convincing over other candidates, if not plain second best.

Come on, where are all the Welsh posters? I need a reason to believe in these players.

1. McGrath (Vunipola better off the bench)
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. O'Mahony
7. O'Brien
8. Faletau
9. Murray
10. Sexton (Farrell not 100%)
11. North (Harsh on Daly)
12. Teo (Henshaw very close)
13. Joseph (Davies looks in good form though)
14. Watson
15. Halfpenny
16. Owens
17. Vunipola
18. Sinckler (impact in the loose) harsh on Cole though
19. Lawes (Wyn Jones not good enough but will probs get selected)
20. Warbs (Tipuric pushing but Warbs is captain)
21. Webb
22. Farrell
23. Daly

What do we think are the chances Ken Owens gets drafted in ahead of Jamie George?

I think George has been outstanding in the tight so far, and good subtle stuff in the loose too, but can see Gatland using an experienced excuse again, thoughts?

What do we think are the chances Ken Owens gets drafted in ahead of Jamie George?

I think George has been outstanding in the tight so far, and good subtle stuff in the loose too, but can see Gatland using an experienced excuse again, thoughts?

I would have George starting but believe that Gatland will pick Owens.

Will be surprised if 2 of this 4 do not start the test. Would not surprise me all 4 start. Even if I agree, none has looked totally convincing over other candidates, if not plain second best.

Come on, where are all the Welsh posters? I need a reason to believe in these players.

Tbf Halfpenny hasn't really done much wrong this tour, and I thought he had a great game against the Maori (actually saw a fair few NZers praising him on twitter), plus the whole not missing a kick helps too ! On the flip side, he doesn't give you the same attacking game that his main rival for 15 (Liam Williams) gives, even if he has been entering the line well.

Personally I think he'll start Leigh because he's very solid and will be a huge source of points if the forwards can get on top, but I would 100% prefer Liam. Last time he played 15 vs the AB's he was outstanding, but Gats clearly wants to keep this one tight.

Warbs still isn't match fit - shouldn't start. Would love to see Tips play because he adds to much attacking potential, but knowing Gats it'll be all power - SOB starting and Warbs bench.

AWJ hasn't been at the top of his game, but can see him being on the bench for his leadership and experience, but on form should be Lawes.

North is a hard one because we all know what he can do when he's at his best, but hasn't shown it yet on this tour. In his defense, the two games he's played in have been the most forward orientated ones where the wings ended up being a bit anonymous / got no quality ball at all. Personally I want him to start, so that he can show he is that big game player who can score tries from anywhere. If he goes missing, then he's out of the starting 15 for the rest of the series. He caused the All Blacks (Savea in particular) all sorts of issues with ball in hand last summer, so if he can do that again (and stay fit this time) it's gonna be a huge asset.

It's probably a harsh call for Daly, but I cant see him not being in the 23 at least anyway because of his versatility!

Definitely agree that George has been outstanding, but I've been very impressed by Ken as well so I honestly don't mind who starts as they both provide such a brilliant impact off the bench. George edges it on form definitely, and if Gatland is sane (debatable I know...) Krutoje will start, giving George a very familiar target at the line out, so again should start.

Interesting to see Joseph in a few people starting XV, not be particularly impressed with him this tour, or this season in general (bar that Scotland game). Davies has been in blistering form towards the end of this season and been impressive in NZ so far, so thought he'd have been a nailed on starter.

Finally the other nation's fans are starting to feel our pain. :p Gatland has often ignored inform players over his favourites so to speak, look at Lydiate, he was around well too long after his form declined and Cuthbert is still in the squad!

Last edited:
Tbf Halfpenny hasn't really done much wrong this tour, and I thought he had a great game against the Maori (actually saw a fair few NZers praising him on twitter), plus the whole not missing a kick helps too ! On the flip side, he doesn't give you the same attacking game that his main rival for 15 (Liam Williams) gives, even if he has been entering the line well.

Personally I think he'll start Leigh because he's very solid and will be a huge source of points if the forwards can get on top, but I would 100% prefer Liam. Last time he played 15 vs the AB's he was outstanding, but Gats clearly wants to keep this one tight.

Warbs still isn't match fit - shouldn't start. Would love to see Tips play because he adds to much attacking potential, but knowing Gats it'll be all power - SOB starting and Warbs bench.

AWJ hasn't been at the top of his game, but can see him being on the bench for his leadership and experience, but on form should be Lawes.

North is a hard one because we all know what he can do when he's at his best, but hasn't shown it yet on this tour. In his defense, the two games he's played in have been the most forward orientated ones where the wings ended up being a bit anonymous / got no quality ball at all. Personally I want him to start, so that he can show he is that big game player who can score tries from anywhere. If he goes missing, then he's out of the starting 15 for the rest of the series. He caused the All Blacks (Savea in particular) all sorts of issues with ball in hand last summer, so if he can do that again (and stay fit this time) it's gonna be a huge asset.

It's probably a harsh call for Daly, but I cant see him not being in the 23 at least anyway because of his versatility!

Definitely agree that George has been outstanding, but I've been very impressed by Ken as well so I honestly don't mind who starts as they both provide such a brilliant impact off the bench. George edges it on form definitely, and if Gatland is sane (debatable I know...) Krutoje will start, giving George a very familiar target at the line out, so again should start.

Interesting to see Joseph in a few people starting XV, not be particularly impressed with him this tour, or this season in general (bar that Scotland game). Davies has been in blistering form towards the end of this season and been impressive in NZ so far, so thought he'd have been a nailed on starter.

All fair points there... re Joseph, I'd say its because actually I think he's looked good in the game he played that didnt have jet lag as a factor, he looked sharp, elusive, he's usually fantastic in defense for England, though he did miss a couple of tackles, he always seemed to straighten nicely

The biggest issue as well with our backs is when we're going wide, the passing isnt being done off the back of straight runs, so we're not actually holding the defense at all, which is killer.. even looking at Seymour's cock up the other day, neither him nor Payne actually straightened up, and Henshaw has been very poor in this regard, which is why I feel he's slipped back a little... ahh who knows, I just love a good wee ramble

George or Owens ?
Whichever player Gat's deems as the best impact player will be on the bench, although I'd like to see George start, but feel he will have the greater influence off the bench and that is probably where he will be.

George or Owens ?
Whichever player Gat's deems as the best impact player will be on the bench, although I'd like to see George start, but feel he will have the greater influence off the bench and that is probably where he will be.

I can see this happening too, though I feel impact wise there's not too much of a difference, and the idea of 4 of our front 5 playing together with Saracens actually makes me feel better, good combinations with teams like the Lions are invaluable, especially throwing darts to teammates who you've been hitting for years rather than just 6 weeks. Its small little intricacies really, but if the difference is one lineout lost/won, we need to win those tiny little battles