• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blair replaces O'Leary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 11 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cussiter played behind the same pack and was far more impressive.[/b]

Agreed I would have gone for Cussiter too. But it was a close call so dont have a problem with Blair going.

Cussiter vs Blair.

That's like comparing Pedro Deniz with Ayrton Senna. Or Dan Parks with Dan Carter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 12 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cussiter vs Blair.

That's like comparing Pedro Deniz with Ayrton Senna. Or Dan Parks with Dan Carter.[/b]

What a comparison :lol: I dont think Diniz ever raced at the same as Senna though.

Cusiter's release wouldn't have been an issue as the Lions tours is a recognised IRB test thingy.

Blair's played well since being dropped, and over the course of the season he has played well. It's hard to fairly compare Cusiter and Blair, given that when Cusiter came on it tended to be for the last 10-15 minutes, and Scotland's pack always seem to do better in the latter stages of a game (Ireland game is the exception).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 12 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cusiter's release wouldn't have been an issue as the Lions tours is a recognised IRB test thingy.[/b]

Actually it does im afraid.

Hines is only being released on a mutual agreement with the club!

993067931.jpg

I'm glad McGeechan listened to my phone call. I was all like "Geechy! Dude, you've ****** off the Scots!" He was all like, "Totally, broseph...I can't even go home now." Then I was all, "Well, Geeches, what can we do about that? I mean dude..." He was like, "I dunno, I'm like totally befuddled, Ro Ro." Then I was like, "What about Blair, Geechacutty Gigglesworth?" and he like said, "For realz? Lol! Why didn't I think of him earlier?!" And I was like, "Geechzilla, maybe it's that pound and a half of 'Amsterdam Bazookan Astro Turf' you blazed up?" Then we both had a laugh.
mike-blair_1400501c.jpg

Congrats to Blair and to Scottish Rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 12 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 12 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cusiter's release wouldn't have been an issue as the Lions tours is a recognised IRB test thingy.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

You sure? I'm positive that I read that the Lions tour counts as an IRB test match, so clubs have to release their players for it if they're picked.

Cusiter is not in the Perpignan first XV, he's behind Nicolas Durand who's not really an international. (only one cap two years ago in a summer tour) so he's in the same situation than Ellis with Dupuy.

Blair had a bad 6 Nations but on form he's by far the best choice for Lions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ May 12 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
993067931.jpg

I'm glad McGeechan listened to my phone call. I was all like "Geechy! Dude, you've ****** off the Scots!" He was all like, "Totally, broseph...I can't even go home now." Then I was all, "Well, Geeches, what can we do about that? I mean dude..." He was like, "I dunno, I'm like totally befuddled, Ro Ro." Then I was like, "What about Blair, Geechacutty Gigglesworth?" and he like said, "For realz? Lol! Why didn't I think of him earlier?!" And I was like, "Geechzilla, maybe it's that pound and a half of 'Amsterdam Bazookan Astro Turf' you blazed up?" Then we both had a laugh.
mike-blair_1400501c.jpg

Congrats to Blair and to Scottish Rugby.[/b]

:bravo: :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 12 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 12 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 12 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

You sure? I'm positive that I read that the Lions tour counts as an IRB test match, so clubs have to release their players for it if they're picked.
[/b][/quote]

I thought the Test's do, but some of the warm up games don't. Either way I know Hines popularity with the fans has taken a huge dip in Perpignan.

Well done to Blair I suppose, personally I would have taken Peel on reputation, but Blair is a better choice than the others, I havnt a clue how much Cussiter has been playing, i'm just glad Stringer isnt going. When you think about it, how many of the home nations scrum half's truly have their starting club place nailed down,
Ellis doesnt
Cussiter apparently doesnt
Stringer doesnt
Peel doesnt really,
so it makes sense to bring Blair as he's the only one who has his place week in week out, although I doubt he has much competition.
And if Marshall was still with Ospreys I doubt Phillips would have his place every week either!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 12 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just seen on the Lions website that Mike Blair has been called up to replace Tomás O'Leary, thought they'd wait until the Quinlan hearing was done and go with a triple anouncement for him and Shanklin's place as well.[/b]
Waiting to see who comes out alive after the HEC final - Darse or Vestlifter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 12 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 12 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just seen on the Lions website that Mike Blair has been called up to replace Tomás O'Leary, thought they'd wait until the Quinlan hearing was done and go with a triple anouncement for him and Shanklin's place as well.[/b]
Waiting to see who comes out alive after the HEC final - Darse or Vestlifter.
[/b][/quote]

Got to be D'Arcy. They said they didn't have enough Fly Halfs 'putting their hands up' to go along with O'Gara and Jones so why take Vesty now? D'Arcy should have been in from the beginning anyway. I think Blair was a good choice and if Croft comes in for Quinlan (if he's banned) then the replacements probably won't do the Lions much harm at all, if any.

Well I'm glad to see Blair in the squad. Despite the fact he didn't have the best 6 nations, his form in the Autumn and beforehand I think shows that he deserves to be there. I'd also hope that he shows the form again in the build up games to give him a starting position in the tests. If only to have a bit more of a Scottish representation in the team.

http://www.lionsrugby.com/7574.php?include...b25c47e52f81d84

I think they've got the right man with Blair. He doesn't do anything extraordinarily stupid like Phillips and (lack of) Care but he brings more intelligence to nine as well. Its going to be very interesting who gets tapped to play in the midweek games when they arrive..

I hope Blair goes out there and plays the first midweek game and shows why he should've been on that tour from the very begining. Watching an interview with him the other day, and he said that McGeehen has told him that when their on the tour, that is all that will be taken into account when picking the squad - and given that Blair has played well int he past few games for Edinburgh, this will probably stand him in good sted I think.