Halfpenny injured

Discussion in '2017 British & Irish Lions Tour' started by edinburgh_gunner, May 20, 2009.

1. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    r

Makes you think who they'll take, two names mentioned there are Armitage and Paterson. I'd love to see Mossy picked, but I just don't think he will be. His utility is a pretty good thing to have on a tour, and he is the world's best kicker, but I think his lack of physicality will probably stand against him.

Wouldn't complain a bit if it was Armitage though, he was one of England's best players in the 6 nations and autumn tests. He's certainly got the talent for it at any rate.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. g6mcg

g6mcg Guest

From another source (sorry can't remember it) it appeared as though Halfpenny would still travel and just miss the first game.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read it that well evidently.

And I don't see Paterson going :(

4. Sadly I don't either, it'd be nice to see him go, and I don't think he'd let anyone down. Just his physique isn't what Geech wants on this lions tour.

5. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Shame. Will most likely affect his chances, since he's more than a match for the other contenders for the shirt.

As for his physique... Well I've only seen him fail once in defence since he came in: against France, so unless they're gonna send Burger's and Matfield's down his channel, I wouldn't be too worried.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

So long as he's fit come test time, no doubt he'll eventually be needed and will be useful if recent form is any form of judge.

On the Patterson front... I seem to recall Geech once shoehorned Jenkins into the 15 shirt...

7. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 20 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Are you refering to Halfpenny or Paterson? I was talking about the latter, I really rate Halfpenny actually and he from his interviews he seems like a nice quiet down to earth lad - everything a rugby player should be.

Yeah, Geech isn't really a fan of Paterson, which is a shame. Perhaps it's just my edinburgh/scotland tinted glasses but he's been in good form for the past couple seasons, and you can fault his kicking stats - something you might want in a tense test match v. the Springboks. Just a shame that cause of his size the rest of his game suffers a little bit, he can run superb lines and he's got great handling skills, just when it comes to the contact area he seems to get dominated. I'd love to see Mossy get a Lions cap, but I don't we ever will.

8. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Oh, I thought you were referring to Halfpenny with your other post.

I shall in future check out the context before yapping off. >.<

9. g6mcg

g6mcg Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 20 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Are you refering to Halfpenny or Paterson? I was talking about the latter, I really rate Halfpenny actually and he from his interviews he seems like a nice quiet down to earth lad - everything a rugby player should be.

Yeah, Geech isn't really a fan of Paterson, which is a shame. Perhaps it's just my edinburgh/scotland tinted glasses but he's been in good form for the past couple seasons, and you can fault his kicking stats - something you might want in a tense test match v. the Springboks. Just a shame that cause of his size the rest of his game suffers a little bit, he can run superb lines and he's got great handling skills, just when it comes to the contact area he seems to get dominated. I'd love to see Mossy get a Lions cap, but I don't we ever will.
    [/b][/quote]

He should have gone in 2005, both on form and because every other friggin player in Britain went.

And about the 15 shirt (sorry forgot to quote): I can't see it happening because a) He wasn't originally picked
    B) Paterson doesn't have the range of Jenkins, and also O'Gare/Jones are reliable kickers, which could not be said of Gregor.

10. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

Ah Halfpenney is a very decent defender, though (liek any other player) has had a game or two where he's had a bad game in defence. I'm not sure if he would have played in the first game anyway, because I;m not sure Geech will play too many likely Test starters (and Halfpenny has a very big chance of being one) straight away.
    Btw, will any channel apart from Sky be showing more than just highlights of the tour? Or have Sky got all the broadcasting rights?

11. As far as I know sky have all the rights, but I imagine you'll be able to find them on youtube somewhere.

12. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/0520/lions.html
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Doesn't sound like he is going to tour does it? Who would be the frontrunners? Cueto anyone?

13. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Doesn't sound like he is going to tour does it? Who would be the frontrunners? Cueto anyone?
    [/b][/quote]

I thought the crack was that he wouldn't go untill he was fit, cause he will only miss the first week or so of the tour.

14. g6mcg

g6mcg Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

Its the evil plan of us Scots - injure and replace, so for that it needs to be Evans (or Danielli...)

15. aligmacd123

aligmacd123 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 20 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

Its the evil plan of us Scots - injure and replace, so for that it needs to be Evans (or Danielli...)
    [/b][/quote]
    I want Evans but I think Armitage may get in because Kearney can play wing and full back and Armitage can play full back and centre AND can kick

16. Cymro

Cymro Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    [/b][/quote]

I thought the crack was that he wouldn't go untill he was fit, cause he will only miss the first week or so of the tour.
    [/b][/quote]

Correct

17. Meh

Meh Guest

If they are calling replacements then Hook is a good shout.

He can play fly half as well as centre (and full back I think). Plus he'd provide kicking options.

If not him then it could well be Armitage.

18. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

It'll have to be Armitage. Wing, FB and kicking option. Perfect fit really.

19. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Armitage can also play at Center although thats the weakest of his positions I believe. Very lucky that he hasn't fallen into the same "utility back" trap that got Matthew Tait and inisisted on trying to nail one position although its a pity the position is also occupied by Rob Kearny and Lee Byrne.

20. g6mcg

g6mcg Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ May 21 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I've seen him play 13 before, but can't remember him playing on the wing but I agree he would appear more suited to the wing.

21. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!