• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Halfpenny injured

E

edinburgh_gunner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
_45801524_leigh_halfpenny_jersey.jpg
Leigh Halfpenny was playing semi-pro club rugby for Cardiff RFC a year ago Cardiff Blues winger Leigh Halfpenny will miss the start of the Lions tour due to a thigh injury.

Halfpenny, 20, will return to Cardiff on Friday for treatment on an existing injury that has "proved more significant than first thought".

The injury requires at least 10-14 days treatment and a replacement will be announced in due course.

However, once Halfpenny is fully fit he will rejoin Ian McGeechan's squad out in South Africa.

This will take the tour party back to 37 players as originally announced but was reduced to 36 following the injury to centre Tom Shanklin, Halfpenny's Wales and Blues team-mate.

A Lions statement said: "It is the belief of the Lions management team that it would be better for the player to receive intensive treatment in Cardiff.

"The management have always had the expectation that travelling players should be fit to play the first game on tour.

"A replacement player will be announced in due course."

The Lions will be looking for a replacement not only to cover Halfpenny's position on the wing and, potentially, at full-back, but his goalkicking.

England full-back Delon Armitage missed the chance of a call-up when the Lions opted not to replace Shanklin but his name will return to the frame, while Scotland's Chris Paterson is another option.

Lions head coach McGeechan has already lost the services of Shanklin with a shoulder injury and Munster scrum-half Tomas O'Leary, who has a broken ankle, and was replaced by Mike Blair.

McGeechan could also be without O'Leary's Munster team-mate Alan Quinlan after the back-row was handed a 12-week suspension.

Quinlan is appealing that ban, having been found guilty of making contact with the eye area of Leinster captain Leo Cullen in the recent Heineken Cup semi-final match.

Halfpenny has enjoyed a meteoric rise to the top after going from playing semi-pro club rugby a year ago to earn the call to face South Africa this summer.

He was a surprise Wales starter, then aged just 19, against the Springboks last November as the world champions came to Cardiff.

Wales lost 20-15 in a thriller, with Halfpenny opening his Test points account with a penalty when used as a long-range kicking option.

o.gif
06: DEBATE The youngster did not take long to score his first try for his country with a brace against Canada the following week and featured in the third November Test against New Zealand, a 29-9 defeat.

But Halfpenny was left out of the following week's famous win over Australia as Wales coach Warren Gatland opted for the greater experience of Mark Jones.

But Gatland - who is one of McGeechan's assistants to South Africa - restored Halfpenny for the Six Nations opener against Scotland.

Halfpenny rewarded the faith shown in him with a third Test try and then added a crucial fourth plus another penalty in the next round's win over England.

He also played against France but missed out for the final two games against Italy and Ireland.

However, some fine performances for the Blues - especially in their march to claim the EDF Energy Cup and reach the Heineken Cup semi-finals - saw Halfpenny get the Lions call.[/b]
r

Makes you think who they'll take, two names mentioned there are Armitage and Paterson. I'd love to see Mossy picked, but I just don't think he will be. His utility is a pretty good thing to have on a tour, and he is the world's best kicker, but I think his lack of physicality will probably stand against him.

Wouldn't complain a bit if it was Armitage though, he was one of England's best players in the 6 nations and autumn tests. He's certainly got the talent for it at any rate.

From another source (sorry can't remember it) it appeared as though Halfpenny would still travel and just miss the first game.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read it that well evidently.

And I don't see Paterson going :(

Sadly I don't either, it'd be nice to see him go, and I don't think he'd let anyone down. Just his physique isn't what Geech wants on this lions tour.

Shame. Will most likely affect his chances, since he's more than a match for the other contenders for the shirt.

As for his physique... Well I've only seen him fail once in defence since he came in: against France, so unless they're gonna send Burger's and Matfield's down his channel, I wouldn't be too worried.

So long as he's fit come test time, no doubt he'll eventually be needed and will be useful if recent form is any form of judge.

On the Patterson front... I seem to recall Geech once shoehorned Jenkins into the 15 shirt...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 20 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shame. Will most likely affect his chances, since he's more than a match for the other contenders for the shirt.

As for his physique... Well I've only seen him fail once in defence since he came in: against France, so unless they're gonna send Burger's and Matfield's down his channel, I wouldn't be too worried.[/b]

Are you refering to Halfpenny or Paterson? I was talking about the latter, I really rate Halfpenny actually and he from his interviews he seems like a nice quiet down to earth lad - everything a rugby player should be.

Yeah, Geech isn't really a fan of Paterson, which is a shame. Perhaps it's just my edinburgh/scotland tinted glasses but he's been in good form for the past couple seasons, and you can fault his kicking stats - something you might want in a tense test match v. the Springboks. Just a shame that cause of his size the rest of his game suffers a little bit, he can run superb lines and he's got great handling skills, just when it comes to the contact area he seems to get dominated. I'd love to see Mossy get a Lions cap, but I don't we ever will.

Oh, I thought you were referring to Halfpenny with your other post.

I shall in future check out the context before yapping off. >.<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 20 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 20 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for his physique... Well I've only seen him fail once in defence since he came in: against France, so unless they're gonna send Burger's and Matfield's down his channel, I wouldn't be too worried.[/b]

Are you refering to Halfpenny or Paterson? I was talking about the latter, I really rate Halfpenny actually and he from his interviews he seems like a nice quiet down to earth lad - everything a rugby player should be.

Yeah, Geech isn't really a fan of Paterson, which is a shame. Perhaps it's just my edinburgh/scotland tinted glasses but he's been in good form for the past couple seasons, and you can fault his kicking stats - something you might want in a tense test match v. the Springboks. Just a shame that cause of his size the rest of his game suffers a little bit, he can run superb lines and he's got great handling skills, just when it comes to the contact area he seems to get dominated. I'd love to see Mossy get a Lions cap, but I don't we ever will.
[/b][/quote]

He should have gone in 2005, both on form and because every other friggin player in Britain went.

And about the 15 shirt (sorry forgot to quote): I can't see it happening because a) He wasn't originally picked
B) Paterson doesn't have the range of Jenkins, and also O'Gare/Jones are reliable kickers, which could not be said of Gregor.

Ah Halfpenney is a very decent defender, though (liek any other player) has had a game or two where he's had a bad game in defence. I'm not sure if he would have played in the first game anyway, because I;m not sure Geech will play too many likely Test starters (and Halfpenny has a very big chance of being one) straight away.
Btw, will any channel apart from Sky be showing more than just highlights of the tour? Or have Sky got all the broadcasting rights?

As far as I know sky have all the rights, but I imagine you'll be able to find them on youtube somewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Lions management will make a decision tomorrow on a replacement for Leigh Halfpenny, who will remain in Cardiff for treatment on a thigh injury.[/b]

Doesn't sound like he is going to tour does it? Who would be the frontrunners? Cueto anyone?
[/b][/quote]

I thought the crack was that he wouldn't go untill he was fit, cause he will only miss the first week or so of the tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Lions management will make a decision tomorrow on a replacement for Leigh Halfpenny, who will remain in Cardiff for treatment on a thigh injury.[/b]

Doesn't sound like he is going to tour does it? Who would be the frontrunners? Cueto anyone?
[/b][/quote]

Its the evil plan of us Scots - injure and replace, so for that it needs to be Evans (or Danielli...)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ May 20 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Its the evil plan of us Scots - injure and replace, so for that it needs to be Evans (or Danielli...)
[/b][/quote]
I want Evans but I think Armitage may get in because Kearney can play wing and full back and Armitage can play full back and centre AND can kick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 20 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I thought the crack was that he wouldn't go untill he was fit, cause he will only miss the first week or so of the tour.
[/b][/quote]

Correct

If they are calling replacements then Hook is a good shout.

He can play fly half as well as centre (and full back I think). Plus he'd provide kicking options.

If not him then it could well be Armitage.

Armitage can also play at Center although thats the weakest of his positions I believe. Very lucky that he hasn't fallen into the same "utility back" trap that got Matthew Tait and inisisted on trying to nail one position although its a pity the position is also occupied by Rob Kearny and Lee Byrne.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ May 21 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Armitage can also play at Center although thats the weakest of his positions I believe. Very lucky that he hasn't fallen into the same "utility back" trap that got Matthew Tait and inisisted on trying to nail one position although its a pity the position is also occupied by Rob Kearny and Lee Byrne.[/b]

I've seen him play 13 before, but can't remember him playing on the wing but I agree he would appear more suited to the wing.

Latest posts