• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you take Leigh Halfpenny?

S

sean43

Just wondering peoples thoughts on the possibility of Leigh Halfpenny making the trip. As a Cardiff fan you can call me bias, but I really think this guy is something special. I have yet to see him have a bad game, everything he does always seems to be the right thing. He can cover at fullback, aswel as kick long range penalty goals.

Should definately go in my opinion, what do you reckon?

He's fast, good on the counter. Deosn't have any faults and certainly has te enthusiasm and he has a very good boot on him. Comes on handdy of O'Gara/Jones/Elwood is having a bad kicking day.

I'd brong him along with Bowe, Fitzgerald, Monye and Williams. Maybe Cueto ahead of Monye though.

Yes, one of the form wings in Britain and Ireland. He's young and inexperienced, but he's already shown that he's not a liability. His performances for the Blues and Wales have been top notch, the only poor game I've seen him play was v France in the 6 Nations (not bad from a 19y/o in his first season of professional rugby, playing in crunch games for both Wales and the Blues).

He's just got what it takes, he has all the skills, and he's quetly confident. His place kicking is an extra bonus.

I'd back him to go for sure, not seen him do much wrong in the games I've watched him in. It would be a close call between him and Moyne for me - 'penny would probably edge it though.

The way it's going though Williams will be the only wing (or full back) in the whole party with any Lions experience, for that reason I think Cueto will tour - possibly at the expence of the Halfpennys and Moynes.

Yes certainly. Has hardly had a bad game since he joined the Blues (I think?) this year, and he's been solid enough for Wales. Probably has the best all-round game of any winger in the country and he's extremely mature for his age.

He'd go along with Williams, Fitzgerald, Bowe and Cueto though if I was in charge.

As a Bok fan, from what I've seen of him he will be a valuable player to take along. He might be young and all but as pointed out earlier he is already mature for his playing age. A Lions tour at this young age will do wonders for his career I think. He'll be around for the next 2 after this so why not get him in early since he has already proved his merit. He doesn't have to be a starter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 15 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a Bok fan, from what I've seen of him he will be a valuable player to take along. He might be young and all but as pointed out earlier he is already mature for his playing age. A Lions tour at this young age will do wonders for his career I think. He'll be around for the next 2 after this so why not get him in early since he has already proved his merit. He doesn't have to be a starter.[/b]

plus he's had experience of playing against the Boks, and he played pretty well againtst them in Cardiff.

Would love to see him lining up against his young South African counterparts in the Emerging Springboks game (I remember a very good winger called Afrika from the u20's World Cup)

Reckon hed be a good player to take on tour he covers wing and full back and can also kick which is a bonus!

Well apart from his ability, pace, kicking, hands, decision makeing etc ..... what has he actually got to offer?

Nahh I'm joking of course. Given the lack of decent, or on form wingers we seem to have I dont see many reasons why not.

However would you put him in the starting lineup? I cant see him usurping Monye, Fitzgerald, Evans, Kearney, Williams, Cueto and maybe Sackey. Hes good good young player but if he aint in with a chance of starting, why bring him? Maybe the question is, will the coaching staff risk starting him? If so then bring him, if not, dont bother.

Kind of reminds me or Walcott during the WC in germany.

Geech did the same thing with Tim Stimpson in the Lions 97 Tour if im correct. To be fair he has a chance of playing depending form, coaches tactics etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 15 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
However would you put him in the starting lineup? I cant see him usurping Monye, Fitzgerald, Evans, Kearney, Williams, Cueto and maybe Sackey. Hes good good young player but if he aint in with a chance of starting, why bring him?[/b]

He'd start in my Lions team in front of Sackey and Evans anyday, i'd put my missus in the Lions in front of Sackey though, and I dont think Evans will go. Most would say Williams should be a definite starter but personally I think he'll get eaten.

Besides that it's a bit of a toss up between Halfpenny, Fitzgerald, Moyne, Bowe and Cueto, any of those could do the job imo, just a case of who they like for the gameplan.

IMO halfpenny sticks out from the crowd of other wingers which have been chosen for the Lions. Hes obviously got pace and having played at fly half before it means he has that extra creativity that other wingers may not have, hes not your usual catch the ball and leg it down the touchline. its players like halfpenny which will give the Lions the edge over the Boks. Having said that he does have to face up to Habana if he plays.........

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexstewart @ Apr 21 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO halfpenny sticks out from the crowd of other wingers which have been chosen for the Lions. Hes obviously got pace and having played at fly half before it means he has that extra creativity that other wingers may not have, hes not your usual catch the ball and leg it down the touchline. its players like halfpenny which will give the Lions the edge over the Boks. Having said that he does have to face up to Habana if he plays.........[/b]

Should we pick players to negate them, or enhance us?

And who would we play to negate Habana? Monye?

What's all this talk about Habana? The South African members will be the first to say he's been shite this year. I'd be more worried about our forward pack being annihilated than an out-of-form winger...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Apr 21 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexstewart @ Apr 21 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO halfpenny sticks out from the crowd of other wingers which have been chosen for the Lions. Hes obviously got pace and having played at fly half before it means he has that extra creativity that other wingers may not have, hes not your usual catch the ball and leg it down the touchline. its players like halfpenny which will give the Lions the edge over the Boks. Having said that he does have to face up to Habana if he plays.........[/b]

[/b][/quote]

you'd go for Fitzgerald then as he's the best defensively, this tour really could be something though if Halfpenny and Fitzgerald get some quality ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Apr 21 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexstewart @ Apr 21 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

well it makes no odds about Habana. All our SH colleagues are telling us he's lost his pace and turned to absolute cack.

And I agree, everyones always saying "oh, we can't do A because the Boks have B we need to match them at B". Stop trying to play them at their own game I say. Do it our way. We have a really Dynamic pack rather than a bulky one. And that''s how we win. Adn with the backs, we need a food distributor at 10 (O'Gara/Jones) and get it to a quick back three and run good lines through the centre! That's how we win!!!!

Latest posts