• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Lions Squad Following the 6N

He's proven himself more than enough over the last two 6nations as far as I'm concerned. I think Kearney is the best of the three fullbacks at his best but his form has been very poor this season and he doesn't really deserve to tour ahead of Hogg because 'Hogg lacks basics' when Hogg has been playing better than him this season.

How much of Hogg have you watched?

As I said I think Kearney's poor form is over exagggerated just because he hasn't been as good as before injury doesn't mean he's been bad. I haven't even said Hogg's been bad I just don't trust him under the high ball and I'd question his positioning and tackling even more than I would Kearney's.

I'd say that any of SOB, Brown, Robshaw, Wood etc. could have replaced Warburton in that game without coming to the team's detriment. Tipuric played brilliant, but Warburton was just good. I think that SO'B would provide a better balance for the carries though.

Warburton made the all important carry to set up the try though ...
I couldn't see any of Robshaw or Brown doing that, neither are quick enough or dynamic enough to make clean breaks like that. So that would be to the team's detriment as they wouldn't have got the second try with either of them on the pitch.

Aside from the England match though where the combination started together for the first time. In the time Warburton and Tipuric on the field together with Tipuric coming on as sub, Wales beat Ireland 19-0 in 2013, beat New Zealand 10-0 in 2012, and beat Australia 10-0 in the first occasion they played together in an international in 2011.

How much of Hogg have you watched?

As I said I think Kearney's poor form is over exagggerated just because he hasn't been as good as before injury doesn't mean he's been bad. I haven't even said Hogg's been bad I just don't trust him under the high ball and I'd question his positioning and tackling even more than I would Kearney's.

I'd wager that I watch him as much as you do unless you watch Pro 12 games where neither team are Irish, I don't have time for that but that's just me.

I don't think the Lions tour is for bringing the safest option, otherwise Declan Kidney would be coach, you pick the better option and as far as I can tell and it's hard for me because I'm a fan of Kearny but Hogg has been a lot better this season. You don't replace a player like Hogg who has defensive issues with a player who also has defensive issues but isn't as good in attack.

Zebo will be another option at fullback if needed on tour too so picking Kearney is a bit redundant.

I'd wager that I watch him as much as you do unless you watch Pro 12 games where neither team are Irish, I don't have time for that but that's just me.

I don't think the Lions tour is for bringing the safest option, otherwise Declan Kidney would be coach, you pick the better option and as far as I can tell and it's hard for me because I'm a fan of Kearny but Hogg has been a lot better this season. You don't replace a player like Hogg who has defensive issues with a player who also has defensive issues but isn't as good in attack.

Zebo will be another option at fullback if needed on tour too so picking Kearney is a bit redundant.

Well you'd lose your money.

Yeah cause someone who's just back from injury and has played there only twice before would reduce the need for a safe option.

That's quite unfair. Kearney's poor form is grossly exaggerated with Hogg's good form being exaggerated as well. and apart from Hibbard at the moment the standard of hookers in B&I is fairly poor.
I disagree. Kearneys defense was desperate against Wasps and against Munster he was poor and very hesitant on ball. He just had look of someone majorly lacking confidence and I'd go as far as to say Hogg Halfpenny Brown are ahead in my eyes.
And yes hookers are poor but in Ireland alone Sherry and Strauss in my eyes could really put Best under pressure

Well you'd lose your money.

Yeah cause someone who's just back from injury and has played there only twice before would reduce the need for a safe option.

He looked handy under the high ball on Saturday and he's an 9pton that probably won't be used. I don't mind if Kearney tours but I dont think he's needed.

Do you watch those games assome form of self punishment? :p

He looked handy under the high ball on Saturday and he's an 9pton that probably won't be used. I don't mind if Kearney tours but I dont think he's needed.

Do you watch those games assome form of self punishment? :p
He wasn't great with high balls last Saturday. Between the 2 Kearneys 3 balls bounced but when Rob caught them as I said he seemed very hesitant and just didn't want to be attacking. But I think as cmac said a 3rd option will be a winger. Zebo if touring is able so is Bowe and should Hook get a spot he'd be another option. Also if Madigan got in he'd also be option and I expect Mike Brown may possibly tour

Mike Ross often plays the whole match does that mean he doesn't have problems finishing matches. Impact in the later minutes is the best indication for me.

Hamilton is plenty athletic come lineout time. He's the sort of grunt I like in a secondrow clearly not your type think we should leave this argument it's just back and forth and neither of us will convince the other. I won't be at all disappointed if Hines makes the squad and wouldn't put it past him to get in the team just at the moment this is my opinion. If Ross makes it I'll be happy for him but as an Irish and Leinster fan I'd be annoyed as he clearly needs the summer off.

Warburton made the all important carry to set up the try though ...
I couldn't see any of Robshaw or Brown doing that, neither are quick enough or dynamic enough to make clean breaks like that. So that would be to the team's detriment as they wouldn't have got the second try with either of them on the pitch.

Aside from the England match though where the combination started together for the first time. In the time Warburton and Tipuric on the field together with Tipuric coming on as sub, Wales beat Ireland 19-0 in 2013, beat New Zealand 10-0 in 2012, and beat Australia 10-0 in the first occasion they played together in an international in 2011.

Sorry but that's a daft way of looking at it ? How many of these games did you win ? Ireland clearly defended a 30 point lead in the first game of the 6 nations . I agree with you and I would certainly try 6.warbs 7.tipuric in the lions tour but I don't think working in hindsight on 1 play in a whole game put warbs ahead of SOB and robshaw it's a very very tight call and my opinion is it should be robshaw 6 and warburton 7 not everyone will agree but I think the team can benefit from this . Although I wouldn't be too bothered if SOB and warburton started . Sam is our 7 though

He wasn't great with high balls last Saturday. Between the 2 Kearneys 3 balls bounced but when Rob caught them as I said he seemed very hesitant and just didn't want to be attacking. But I think as cmac said a 3rd option will be a winger. Zebo if touring is able so is Bowe and should Hook get a spot he'd be another option. Also if Madigan got in he'd also be option and I expect Mike Brown may possibly tour

I was talking about Zebo.

Looks like Warburton is clear fave for the gambling people
[h=1]Sam Warburton on brink of being named captain for British and Irish Lions tour of Australia[/h][h=2]Wales flanker Sam Warburton is the clear favourite to be named as British and Irish Lions captain for the tour to Australia in June after leading bookmaker Ladbrokes refused to take any more bets following a flurry of money placed on last year's Six Nations Grand Slam-winning captain.[/h]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ritish-and-Irish-Lions-tour-of-Australia.html

Not sure if a man who wasn't given his nations captaincy recently because of the pressure possibly affecting his game, should be skippering the Lions.

His age and standing go against him too. Especially when comparing him to the previous captains.

Well he's proven in the past that he can be an inspirational leader, but at the same time if his form goes down, so does his head a bit. Hopefully he's back to his old self

If its a Welsh Man to captain then I'd go with someone like Gethin Jenkins (if he's a starter) or would Adam Jones be a captain. He's 1 that is guaranteed to start in my eyes, a good man with gelling 4 nations, well respected all round and a good talker

Interesting to see Martyn Williams someone who's played with all potential captains calling for BO'D.

Thing is though (and I open to correction) I read somewhere Gatland has never picked or been a believer of having a back as captain

Well he's proven in the past that he can be an inspirational leader, but at the same time if his form goes down, so does his head a bit. Hopefully he's back to his old self

I think it needs to go to someone with more experience and who doesn't have recent issues regarding his leadership and it hindering his own game.

He is a fine player of course but even then there are plenty suggesting Tipuric starts ahead of him.

Its the first time in a while that there is no outstanding candidate.

I think it needs to go to someone with more experience and who doesn't have recent issues regarding his leadership and it hindering his own game.

He is a fine player of course but even then there are plenty suggesting Tipuric starts ahead of him.

Its the first time in a while that there is no outstanding candidate.

Completely agree. If it as my choice I'd go with Wyn-Jones, O'Connell or BOD.

Come on Guys....they have stopped taking bets on it.....it is Warburton................The Telegraph says so, so it MUST be right!!

Latest posts