• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blues 2008

im hoping nuci picks up david smith for 08...i would like to see david smith eventually play centre...ive been watching him for a while and i know he isnt as fast as everyone thinks he is..he just has explosive acceleration in short bursts..which can open up gaps in the tightest of defenses..hes defence is not bad either...being that hes only 20years old maybe when he gets abit older he could play midfield..what you guys reckon?..

Does he have the size or vision for 13?

He's only 90kg (which seems strange to say) but most 13's are around the 100kg mark these days.

Personally I'd leave him playing 11 for the time being a.

Benson Stanley on the other hand is nearer to the ideal build for a center and has a sexual kicking game to go with his Tuitupo like defense.

He's also a very good reader of the game and is a really bright prospect for NZ at centre, just like David Smith is on the wing.

I see smith is a smaller, safer version of Ma'a Nonu on the wing. Not a dedicated speedster, but a strong tackle breaking machine.

I just dunno if he's good at reading the game defence wise. Sometimes, when he makes a tackle or gets hit, he seems to stay on the ground for a while.. Happens in almost every ANZC game he plays for Auckland..

Isaia Toeava (96), Conrad Smith (95) and Mils Muliaina (92). Thats their weight in kgs. IMO, it's not so much the weight, but the strength of the player.

So you reckon Smith could be the goods, or nah?

Were you refering to Smith or Stanley when you say "he"?

no thats bullcrap..186?...thats like 6'0ft isnt?

david smith is like 5'9 - 510...unless hes had a growth spurt or maybe its the drugs hes secretly taking but im sure hes not over 6 foot..im 6ft and that dudes up to my shoulders...but mimic you asking about his vision and all that stuff?...thats why i said hes only 20..he has alot more to do and learn...im afraid that he might just wind up in the pile of crap that anesi got caught into anbout being hyped up..but david has been consistent enough over his 1st 2years of pro rugby..hell..scouts were talking about him since his arrival in nz and he is constantly refreshing them why they harp on about him...

lets put it this way..if he was in australia,south africa or any of the 6nation teams he would be playing at the world cup...which isnt a bad thing...i remember a winger back in the mid 90's who played with the same enthusiasm and athletism but his game was mirrored by his terrible vision and technique..something he mastered over time and then would eventually go on to captain the allblacks in the centre spot as one of the elite and professional players ever to play the game...

so lets not say "nah" before this kid smith gets a good couple of years under his belt

So you reckon Smith could be the goods, or nah?

Were you refering to Smith or Stanley when you say "he"? [/b]

I was referring to Smith.

David Smith is no where near 1.86m. He's 1.72m, can't remember which site I saw it in, but it's closer to the truth. He is short.

IMO, he's similar to Jason Robinson, except he likes the physical stuff. Not surprised seeing he's Samoan.

At the moment, no, David Smith doesn't have the goods to be a centre. Vision isn't his problem, you can see he has it, by some of his runs. Give him another few years, to learn how to read a game defensively, and who knows. But by that time comes around, we have Toeava and Stanley who are looking like the midfield of the next 2 years.

To be honest, I wanna see David Smith go on the 7s circuit, opt to be a playmaker, get his distribution skills up.

no thats bullcrap..186?...thats like 6'0ft isnt?

david smith is like 5'9 - 510...unless hes had a growth spurt or maybe its the drugs hes secretly taking but im sure hes not over 6 foot..im 6ft and that dudes up to my shoulders...but mimic you asking about his vision and all that stuff?...thats why i said hes only 20..he has alot more to do and learn...im afraid that he might just wind up in the pile of crap that anesi got caught into anbout being hyped up..but david has been consistent enough over his 1st 2years of pro rugby..hell..scouts were talking about him since his arrival in nz and he is constantly refreshing them why they harp on about him...

lets put it this way..if he was in australia,south africa or any of the 6nation teams he would be playing at the world cup...which isnt a bad thing...i remember a winger back in the mid 90's who played with the same enthusiasm and athletism but his game was mirrored by his terrible vision and technique..something he mastered over time and then would eventually go on to captain the allblacks in the centre spot as one of the elite and professional players ever to play the game...

so lets not say "nah" before this kid smith gets a good couple of years under his belt [/b]

That makes him about 6ft 1 . 6ft would be 18cm

^^^^good idea..i always thought tho he would make an excellent rugby league centre tho...he would carve

i just bloody hope we(we as in Northland) get afew players in the squad.
Daniel Bowden & Fetu Vainakolo should be picked up by someone for next year.
Parengatai might end up down at the crusaiders again also.

i just bloody hope we(we as in Northland) get afew players in the squad.
Daniel Bowden & Fetu Vainakolo should be picked up by someone for next year.
Parengatai might end up down at the crusaiders again also. [/b]

We've already got enough loose forwards.

it depends how Robbie Deans see's it. the talk around the traps was that deans liked him and wanted to pick him up again. ive heard some commentators say that also...

Yeah, those 3 Northlanders are all Super rugby capable, but they'll be lucky to get a look into any of the NZ teams, just coz there's soo much talent around in this country, particularly at wing and in the loosies.

If any country was to be given another team, NZ would win hands down based on talent stocks. If Harbour were given a 6th NZ franchise then NZ players might get the exposure they deserve.

But, given the current climate, Vainakolo and Parangatai might have to make a trip to the deep south in 08. Bowden might just sneak into the Blues after the Tuitupo and McAlister departures. But he's got some pretty tough competition for spots, and ironically could be up against Howell for the same spot in the squad.

NZ teams are going to be strong again next year.

I think even the Highlanders will be looking ok after the draft.

Considering Otago picked up Sweeney and Kahui, their backline shouldn't be too shabby.

It's just that they lack in the forward pack, and now need a decent 1st five. Maybe they should steal one from their neighbours in the south. Or get Tasesa Lavea LOL

There's a fair few quality front rowers in the Chiefs region this year, and also in the Canes region too. Taumalolo (Hawkes Bay) could come up in the draft, or Tony Penn (Taranaki), or Perenise or Jacob Ellison (Wellington) or one of Simms Davidson or Ben Castle (BOP).

Lots of Locks floating around the Canes region too. Craig Clarke or Jared Hoeata (Taranaki), Triggs from (Manawatu), Eagen from (Hawkes Bay), Thrush or Upton (Wellington).

Jack McPhee (North Harbour) would be the 5/8th I'd target if I was Highlanders coach. Or maybe David Howell (Northland).

But they do have some home based options in Blair Stewart, Callum Bruce, Charlie Hore or James Wilson. But none of these are capable of filling the place left by the All Black 5/8 though.

Edit: The position of both Otago (7th) and Southland (5th) in the Air NZ Cup has got to be a good sign for the 2008 Highlanders. The Chiefs don't look so good, with BOP (13th) and Counties (14th). But then Waikato (6th) has 4 All Blacks away. Not counting Kelleher, who isn't returning.

Considering Otago picked up Sweeney and Kahui, their backline shouldn't be too shabby.
[/b]

That was a hoax mate. Sweeney & Kahui are not going anywhere.

Another blow to the blues, Steve Devine has been forced into retirement because of a knock to the head.

I dunno, Taniela Moa is a capable replacement.

I'm wondering who the locks will be?
Flavell should be there, but who will be with him?

Haiu? Jay Williams? Boric? Tekori?

Maybe they'll pick someone up in the draft. Damn you Ali for leaving :(
Just when it finally looked like we had a championship winning team, we lose a few key players.

We can always laugh at Ali when we beat them in the final next year. :p

and besides, we will have Chris Smylie on the bench to cover up if Moa goes AWOL.

We can always laugh at Ali when we beat them in the final next year. :p

and besides, we will have Chris Smylie on the bench to cover up if Moa goes AWOL.

[/b]

I don't really know if Smylie will be a good addition to the Blues - while he has an outstanding running game my grandmother probably has a faster (and more accurate) pass than him - that is why he's been on the bench for the Otago team behind a pretty average player in Toby Morland. If he can make breaks close to the rucks he can set the backline on the front foot and do a lot of damage, but if he is contained his slow service can be very detrimental to the backline.

Latest posts