• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boks to be charged with misconduct

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The South African Rugby Union is to be charged with misconduct for allowing its players and coach to wear white "justice" armbands in Saturday's test against the British and Irish Lions in Johannesburg.

The Springbok players and management, including coach Peter de Villiers, wore the bands in protest at what they considered an unfair two-week suspension given to lock Bakkies Botha for charging Lions prop Adam Jones in the second test in Pretoria.

Welshman Jones dislocated his shoulder and could be out of action for up to six months.

South Africa appealed against Botha's ban but the suspension was upheld and he missed the third test, which the Lions won 28-9 having lost the first two matches of the series.

"The International Rugby Board (IRB) takes the view that such an act demonstrates a clear disregard of the disciplinary process and does so in a manner which brings, or has the potential to bring, the game into disrepute," the sport's governing body said in a statement.

"The IRB has notified the South Africa Rugby Union that it intends to begin the disciplinary proceedings. The matter will now be referred to the independent Judicial Panel Chairman who will appoint a judicial officer or committee.[/b]
www.supersport.com

And the circus goes on... :rolleyes:

"Crisis? What crisis, ja?"

pdvbarney.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jul 6 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
The South African Rugby Union is to be charged with misconduct for allowing its players and coach to wear white "justice" armbands in Saturday's test against the British and Irish Lions in Johannesburg.

The Springbok players and management, including coach Peter de Villiers, wore the bands in protest at what they considered an unfair two-week suspension given to lock Bakkies Botha for charging Lions prop Adam Jones in the second test in Pretoria.

Welshman Jones dislocated his shoulder and could be out of action for up to six months.

South Africa appealed against Botha's ban but the suspension was upheld and he missed the third test, which the Lions won 28-9 having lost the first two matches of the series.

"The International Rugby Board (IRB) takes the view that such an act demonstrates a clear disregard of the disciplinary process and does so in a manner which brings, or has the potential to bring, the game into disrepute," the sport's governing body said in a statement.

"The IRB has notified the South Africa Rugby Union that it intends to begin the disciplinary proceedings. The matter will now be referred to the independent Judicial Panel Chairman who will appoint a judicial officer or committee.[/b]
www.supersport.com

And the circus goes on... :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
I agree with their message but it wasn't the best way to do it.

BTW What can the iRB actually do to SARU?

Declare the World Cup win null and void, and have the entire competition replayed starting next week? Seriously I think Ireland would win.

Come on IRB, you know what to do!

Here's a few they could do:

Make SA play tests behind closed doors.
Smit gets banned for so many test matches.
Fine for wearing arm bands.

They will want to make an example of South Africa, without hindering the development of the game in South Africa, so anything that will cost the SARU will be be spun by the meeja as "IRB taking it out on the grassroots who did nothing wrong", even though the IRB would use the money for developing the game

I would personally fine every player/coach who wore an armband, and fine Smit and PdV double.

Announce if it ever happens again, the IRB will take the gate for the countries next 5 home gamest, hat would make them think twice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jul 7 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They will want to make an example of South Africa, without hindering the development of the game in South Africa, so anything that will cost the SARU will be be spun by the meeja as "IRB taking it out on the grassroots who did nothing wrong", even though the IRB would use the money for developing the game

I would personally fine every player/coach who wore an armband, and fine Smit and PdV double.

Announce if it ever happens again, the IRB will take the gate for the countries next 5 home gamest, hat would make them think twice.[/b]

Any advances on that? A firing squad perhaps? A strong caution and spelling out clearly what the consequences will be in future, is a likely first step. This isn't a repeat offence.

The thing is, the SA players' union backed the protest. So there's a whole legal thing attached to it now. As far as I know the players' union has the same rights as a trade union, so they aloud to strike.
This could get messy...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 7 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The thing is, the SA players' union backed the protest. So there's a whole legal thing attached to it now. As far as I know the players' union has the same rights as a trade union, so they aloud to strike.
This could get messy...[/b]

I dont know, they probably had a point but given the public support they had already received (even the Lions folks agreed it was an unfair penalty) the armbands was taking it a bit too far. Doesnt make much of a difference to me either way to be honest but to publicly question a citing commissioner, or the process, or the laws of the game etc was always going to bring trouble. I'd say the slap on the wrist and a probationary period would probably do the job. The IRB get to look all powerful without actually doing anything.

I was joking!

It would be a very undeserved and silly, yet hilariously ironic thing for them to do...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Jul 7 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was joking!

It would be a very undeserved and silly, yet hilariously ironic thing for them to do...[/b]

I know you were joking, the pic was also a joke, just like this whole thing, its a
BIG JOKE!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 6 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree with their message but it wasn't the best way to do it.

BTW What can the iRB actually do to SARU?[/b]

Nothing, they are vigorous and heroes and striking and brave and powerful and so on against small rugby unions

IRB is puppies when standing in front of SA, NZ, Whole Great Britain and etc

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Jul 7 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was joking!

It would be a very undeserved and silly, yet hilariously ironic thing for them to do...[/b]
Jesus I like that. Damned fine idea.

Would be funny.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 7 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Jul 7 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was joking!

Jesus I like that. Damned fine idea.

Would be funny.
[/b][/quote]

that will be a tragedy more then Shakespeare ever wrote :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts