• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Botha ban

hughorton

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
I heard that Bakkies Botha has received a nine week ban for that head butt in the first test. Is this fully deserved and it is true that the rest of the boks are sick of his indiscipline?

It's fully deserved what he did was downright thuggery, I support the Springboks over NZ anyday, but headbutting a prone player in the back of the head is just not cricket.

Yeah, can't stand him, tbh. In the end the mark on his head gave him away...haha. As close as the officials were, I'm surprised they didn't pick it up.

Should've been a longer ban imo, especially when you take into account his previous record (which apparently they did)

It's a deserved ban. Don't know what the other Boks think about it but I did see Matfield have a look at him with an expression saying: What's the use of that you twat.

But I reckon PdV will select him again as soon as he's available.

It's a deserved ban. Don't know what the other Boks think about it but I did see Matfield have a look at him with an expression saying: What's the use of that you twat.

But I reckon PdV will select him again as soon as he's available.

I'm hoping that PdV has learned to keep his mouth shut. I'm fully expecting some sort of dumb-a$$ comment about this.

He already tried to justify it saying he was provoked by the shirt pulling.
If someone pulls my shirt, on the field or off, i don't headbutt them

Yeah, I mean I was watching and thinking, "Cowan has just given them a penalty, ****", but then Botha decides to headbutt...

I mean what the hell was he thinking? Was he thinking at all?

Botha is a complete thug when he does stupid things like that on the pitch. Though if he was to cut out those event which damage his name would he not be considered a great second-row?

Botha is a complete thug when he does stupid things like that on the pitch. Though if he was to cut out those event which damage his name would he not be considered a great second-row?
No, he's just a tall doughebag. If you took away the cheap shots, you'd take out any sense of competitiveness he has...it's all intermingled. Just a giant queef-ball.

No, he's just a tall doughebag. If you took away the cheap shots, you'd take out any sense of competitiveness he has...it's all intermingled. Just a giant queef-ball.

Never heard of queef-ball before. The thing about Botha is that he is an enforcer. He has much more of a presence around the field than Matfield IMO. Is it not that every nation needs an enforcer like Botha. I am saying that players should play dirty like Botha, just that every nation needs a hard nut.

Never heard of queef-ball before. The thing about Botha is that he is an enforcer. He has much more of a presence around the field than Matfield IMO. Is it not that every nation needs an enforcer like Botha. I am saying that players should play dirty like Botha, just that every nation needs a hard nut.

Gavin, heart on my hand, you just channelled PvD.
I completely disagree with you. I think every team needs a player who plays on the edge, a hard hitter, etc... but not a cheat, or a dirty player.

Gavin, heart on my hand, you just channelled PvD.
I completely disagree with you. I think every team needs a player who plays on the edge, a hard hitter, etc... but not a cheat, or a dirty player.

That is what I meant. If Botha was to cut out his dirty play, surely he would be considered as a player to plays on the edge?

Also if I was channelled by PvD that would be awesome. It surely would be a laugh.

Botha is an intimidating player but he should know his boundaries.

The problem is, you can't be much of an enforcer and have ''presence'', if you can't even play. This is his second suspension this year and if you look at his history he has had many others.

Look at other enforcers as you call them, Donncha O'Callahagn, Sebastian Chabal, Brad Thorn (who is the best at this), Bradley Davies, James Horwill (I think)?

They all do it well, don't get red carded or yellow carded that often and rarely banned. It is just about playing with your, well I would say head but Bothas two suspensions this year have been head related...

The problem is, you can't be much of an enforcer and have ''presence'', if you can't even play. This is his second suspension this year and if you look at his history he has had many others.

Look at other enforcers as you call them, Donncha O'Callahagn, Sebastian Chabal, Brad Thorn (who is the best at this), Bradley Davies, James Horwill (I think)?

They all do it well, don't get red carded or yellow carded that often and rarely banned. It is just about playing with your, well I would say head but Bothas two suspensions this year have been head related...

Well remember everyone will know what Botha is like before they go on the pitch. They will know he can be hot-headed and will target him and try and get on his nerves.

Well enforcers are great. Jerry Collins is well known for being an enforcer. He'd target a player, and then hit him in a tackle that would leave them in a mess. Chabal, Burger and Charvis are just a few who Collins destroyed. He has a great physical presence on the field for that reason, and has probably knocked more players out in tackles than any other player. As mentioned earlier though, he got his reputation of being an enforcer from hitting the biggest guys around, harder than anyone else. I respect that, and that's the difference between someone like Collins and someone like Botha. Botha does bring an intimidation on the field, but his reputation is built on cheap shots and low blows, and more importantly, usually on someone who can't defend themselfs. It's usually a sholder charge in a ruck, or a stomp while the opponent is unable to defend himself. Otherwise he pick on people obviously smaller. You never see Botha pick a fight with someone like Tony Woodcock or Brad Thorn, and certainly not while they are able to defend themselves.

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, because if he managed to play a streight game as a lock, he would be alright (certainly not in the same league as Matfield). But his reputation as an enforcer seems to be earned not by picking the biggest guy on the park and making a statement, but by picking the most valnerable guy on the park and having a cheap shot.

Last edited: