• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

You where saying he was going down when he clearly was standing strong.
Maybe the doc would call time on it but thats the Doc call and he had yet made that call.
It's a contact sport end of the day.

the ref screwed Takem and i'm a big AJ fan but Takem IMO could of gone the distance would prob lose regardless but a TKO is very different from going the distance.

Tigs I am just saying it's the refs decision. May not agree with it, but he's the one who is in the ring and can see in Takam's eyes whether he's with it or not and whether he was going to fight back. I said this one doesn't look like it's going to last I.e. with the first cut over Takam's eye. When both eyes were cut and Takam couldn't see from all the blood pouring into them I knew it was over; he was fighting virtually blind. The Doc had a final word with ref saying, according to the commentary, that next time those cuts open the fight was over. That may well have influenced the ref to call the fight off when he did as well.

The ref stopped it too early, no question.
This is not amateur boxing.
This is top drawer world heavyweight championship boxing and Takam did not want the fight stopped. He wanted to continue. He was still ok even though we all know what the result was going to be. He might have lasted the fight out. We will never know.
The ref made a bad call.
Those fighters know the drill.
If you get in the ring to fight for the world heavyweight championship then you are prepared to suffer a knockout. Thats the chance you take.
Takam was still fighting. His gloves were up and although his hopes were highly likely to be forlorn, he should have been afforded the opportunity to continue.
Both fighters still wanted to fight.
Takam was screwed by the decision and so was Joshua, he was working toward putting Takam away.
Very poor decision.

Congratulations to Joshua, he looks the business. Wonderful to see a serious quality fighter ruling the heavyweight division.
Joshua is hungry.
Bring on Deontay Wilder and then lets see after that fight.

Looks like Deontay Wilder is up for the Joshua challenge, he's certainly talking up the opportunity for the middle of next year.

Parkers payday.
Joshua's warm up.
I can't see how Parker is going to keep Joshua's jab out of his face.

Not so sure as I was a year ago with this.

Parker is as good a fighter as any in the division and is used to going the distance. He is fit and has great stamina. He isn't a very explosive for a Heavyweight but in a points fight he is ok. My main beef with Parker is he is a very boring fighter. I lost the will to live when he fought Fury, yes I know he had to chase (literally) the fight most of the time but hes hardly one for the You Tube highlights of great knockouts.

AJ is very explosive and is more skilled than many people give him credit for. Lots of people (including myself) questioned his performance against DB and CT but watching the fights again is hard to break someone down who isn't offering anything in attack and is simply covering up and trying to get through the fight. What I dont like is his size and muscle mass. He has slowed in the last 2 years and gasses out much quicker than before.

So AJ should winning the fight within the distance if Parker comes out and actually try's to win the fight but I can see Parker staying hidden and taking whatever point become available and it going the distance which I hope AJ can manage.

Prediction: AJ on points

I do agree on AJ being too heavy and muscle bound. I think he scaled a shade over 18 stone in his last fight. He could do with losing at least half a stone of the muscle before he faces Parker.

Parker has fast hands and he'll look for a high work rate performance where he can take AJ to rounds 11 and 12 and win on points. But then again he hasn't faced anyone of AJ's calibrate yet.

I do agree on AJ being too heavy and muscle bound. I think he scaled a shade over 18 stone in his last fight. He could do with losing at least half a stone of the muscle before he faces Parker.

Parker has fast hands and he'll look for a high work rate performance where he can take AJ to rounds 11 and 12 and win on points. But then again he hasn't faced anyone of AJ's calibrate yet.

Yes thats true, I think the best Parker has faced so far is CT. I havn't seen Parker take a good punch yet which he will have to take at some point against AJ. Parker is a very fit fighter and that has carried him through some close fights I just don't think its enough to stop AJ. Parker has to look to take the fight into the later stages and win on points.

I know boxing has mandatory defences but one of the biggest flaws in this sport is how easily belt holders and their promoters can dodge or delay fights and prolong their reigns as champions. It's very much a sport that relies on hype.

Eddie Hearn says AJ is far more marketable than Wilder and refuses to agree on a 50/50 split. AJ fills stadiums in the UK but it's a different market - Brits love to get out, have a few beers and before going to the stadium/arena whereas Americans prefer to order fast food and watch the fight on their sofas on pay per view. It's a shame they can't just put their money where their mouths are and agree 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser with a re-match clause.

I know boxing has mandatory defences but one of the biggest flaws in this sport is how easily belt holders and their promoters can dodge or delay fights and prolong their reigns as champions. It's very much a sport that relies on hype.

Eddie Hearn says AJ is far more marketable than Wilder and refuses to agree on a 50/50 split. AJ fills stadiums in the UK but it's a different market - Brits love to get out, have a few beers and before going to the stadium/arena whereas Americans prefer to order fast food and watch the fight on their sofas on pay per view. It's a shame they can't just put their money where their mouths are and agree 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser with a re-match clause.

14,000 turned up to watch Wilder v Ortiz in NYC. Wilder is dreaming if he thinks he can get 40% takings. I'd be shocked if Wilder gets much on PPV.

If AJ puts Parker away, a probable reunification fight could take place again at Wembley later this year and fill the stadium again. Plus with PPV on top of that. 65/35 split at best as AJ would have 3/4 belts.

Watched the Wilder v Ortiz fight and although Wilder won I can't say I was that impressed. Yes he knocked out King Kong, but he failed to land his jab on Ortiz and barely stood up at the end of the 7th round with the bell saving him. He had the heart to stay up but his technique is crude and defensively suspect. Ortiz is 38 (looks 43) and looked his age IMO. Had he been 10 years younger he would have beaten Wilder IMO.

14,000 turned up to watch Wilder v Ortiz in NYC. Wilder is dreaming if he thinks he can get 40% takings. I'd be shocked if Wilder gets much on PPV.

If AJ puts Parker away, a probable reunification fight could take place again at Wembley later this year and fill the stadium again. Plus with PPV on top of that. 65/35 split at best as AJ would have 3/4 belts.

Watched the Wilder v Ortiz fight and although Wilder won I can't say I was that impressed. Yes he knocked out King Kong, but he failed to land his jab on Ortiz and barely stood up at the end of the 7th round with the bell saving him. He had the heart to stay up but his technique is crude and defensively suspect. Ortiz is 38 (looks 43) and looked his age IMO. Had he been 10 years younger he would have beaten Wilder IMO.

Wasn't the split for AJ/Parker 65:35? I'd say Wilder is a much bigger draw than Parker as the WBC belt is more prestigious than the WBO plus Wilder can talk a good game in the media and is more explosive than Parker. I'm not convinced Wilder would agree to anything less than 40. I'd just like to see the split more based on the performance/outcome on the night but that's not the name of the game unfortunately.

Wasn't the split for AJ/Parker 65:35? I'd say Wilder is a much bigger draw than Parker as the WBC belt is more prestigious than the WBO plus Wilder can talk a good game in the media and is more explosive than Parker. I'm not convinced Wilder would agree to anything less than 40. I'd just like to see the split more based on the performance/outcome on the night but that's not the name of the game unfortunately.

Yes I think you are right Parker accepted 35% after making a hoo har
That he wouldn't. But at the end of the day it is about bargaining power. Wilder is bigger draw than Parker, but that's not saying much. If Parker were to beat AJ and fights Wilder I would like to see where that fight is held and the size of the Pot. I'd bet It won't be as large if AJ isn't involved. So Wilder not accepting less than 40 of what? Less than 40% of £70m fighting AJ or getting 50% of £20-30m fighting Parker. Boxing just isn't the same draw in the US compared to 1970s and 80s.

Great fight last night but Wilder's style isn't easy on the eye. His get out of jail free card is his very impressive punching power (best in the division) but damn its ugly!

As for the split between him and Joshua should AJ get past Parker. Then 60/40 is fair. Wilder has been champion for longer and he will be risking his belts and unbeaten record. He is a more prestige fighter than Parker (at the minute) so he wont and shouldnt settle for a similar split.

Great fight last night but Wilder's style isn't easy on the eye. His get out of jail free card is his very impressive punching power (best in the division) but damn its ugly!

As for the split between him and Joshua should AJ get past Parker. Then 60/40 is fair. Wilder has been champion for longer and he will be risking his belts and unbeaten record. He is a more prestige fighter than Parker (at the minute) so he wont and shouldnt settle for a similar split.

Agreed on Wilder's style - he's a horrible boxer to watch. But Ortiz like Klitschko v AJ did not follow up after knocking Wilder around the ring at the end of the 7th round. Probably age was the issue and running out of Gas.

60/40 doesn't reflect that if Wilder faced AJ (assuming he beats Parker) AJ would hold 3/4 belts (IBF, WBA and WBO). If we are talking fair then AJ should start with demanding 75% of the purse. I mean $2.1m from the Ortiz fight is all Wilder earned - is a reflection of his US box office appeal. It wasn't even on PPV here in the UK as far as I know.

Latest posts