• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Nice controlled fight from AJ. Good use of that left jab to keep Parker at bay. Parker didn't do nearly enough, but stayed up, but never got close enough and then when he just ducked and AJ had him in a head lock.

Think AJ will come back a little heavier?
Somewhere in-between this and the last weight?

Think Tyson Fury will be begging for this ref for his fights. Any time they stepped within a foot of each other, he jumped in to stop it.
Not a great fight, but who knows what it could have been like if they'd been allowed to do more than jab.

Think AJ will come back a little heavier?
Somewhere in-between this and the last weight?

I personally think he's found his optimum fighting weight so he has both power, speed and endurance. Wilder was 215 pounds v Ortiz so AJ faced him then getting any heavier will only lead to him gassing in later rounds.

Last edited:
AJ v Parker was a boxing match; Price v Povetkin before was a fight and Price got the **** knocked out of him in the end. I felt I got my monies worth. Not sure I would pay 20 squid to get up at 4am if the fight was in Vegas. Actually quite enjoying AJ fighting in GB. He's filling 80000 seater stadia and 10pm is perfect time to enjoy it.

Last edited:
AJ v Parker was a boxing match; Price v Povetkin before was a fight and Price got the **** knocked out of him in the end. I felt I got my monies worth. Not sure I would pay 20 squid to get up at 4am if the fight was in Vegas. Actually quite enjoying AJ fighting in GB. He's filling 80000 seater stadia and 10pm is perfect time to enjoy it.
There's been quotes (to paraphrase) 'he's staying in the UK, as he has the belts, and the Brits have always had to go to Vegas, but we have Cardiff, Wembley etc and its about time they came to us'.

There's been quotes (to paraphrase) 'he's staying in the UK, as he has the belts, and the Brits have always had to go to Vegas, but we have Cardiff, Wembley etc and its about time they came to us'.

Yes, he said that on Sky after the fight. Definitely think a Wilder and Fury fight should happen here in the UK at Wembley. But he'll want to go and fight in the States at some point to boost his profile over there and just to test himself over there. Maybe it'll be against a lower profile American opponent.

It's crazy that some boxing commentators are saying Parker is just too small even though he's 6 foot 4 and almost 17 stone. But he looked small compared to AJ despite only 6 pound difference (it's all relative at that level). More importantly He was giving up a 4 inch reach advantage to AJ which meant AJ could just box and control the fight behind that left jab. Of course the reach isn't the only thing as Price had the reach advantage v Povetkin, but the Russian made up for it with his greater work rate and he did get caught at the end of the 3rd round.

Going forward it looks like the Parker will be restricted to fighting the likes of White, Chisora, Povetkin and Ortiz where that reach advantage won't be so profound. I.e. top heavyweights with a reach of less than 80 inches.

AJ will be fighting it out with the other Goliaths of the division in Wilder and Fury who all have reaches in excess of 80 inches. But Both Wilder and Fury have a longer reach than AJ.

Bottled putting my money on a Bellew KO,

Still put it on him to win, mind. Tidy little earner.

Anyone watching this Fury fight?

There's a massive fight in the crowd.

Fury is built like stick of butter on stilts...

Watched it! The fight in the crowd was more interesting, probably a few gypos kicking off I'd imagine . This fight was a bit of a joke and I wonder how much Fury wants it that was like a circus fight .Would of preferred him to go out and knock this guy spark out in a serious manner .. on this evidence he has a looong way to go before he's back back at the top of the tree if he has the desire to get there.

Probably Whyte.
Not sure if Whyte is intelligent enough to win this one. He's dangerous, no doubt, but always seemed more of a eyes-closed-swinger (not THAT kind of swinger!). I think Parker will be too smart for him up close (if the ref allows it)
Prediction: Parker in 9 or points (hedging my bets :p)

Whyte weighed in at 18 and half stone versus Parker at 17 stone 4 pounds. A whopping 17 pounds difference. Whyte is going to gas out badly in the later rounds unless he gets it done in 4-5 rounds. I see Parker taking this one.

Good pre fight before the main event between Takam and Chisora.

Body work from Whyte is naaaaasty

He's blowing a bit now though, and is carrying a decent amount of body fat, gonna start fading now

Edit:
The slowmos on the hook/Parker getting dropped are incredible. Can see parkers soul leaving his body

Last edited:
Parker got knocked down twice though. First was from a clash of heads, but 2nd knockdown was good left book from Whyte which took Parker's let's from under him.

Looks like Whyte will take this one. Parker's been disappointing to be fair.

Good come back from Parker at the end of the 11th round though. Whyte looked gassed at the end of that round.

Latest posts