• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Agreed on Wilder's style - he's a horrible boxer to watch. But Ortiz like Klitschko v AJ did not follow up after knocking Wilder around the ring at the end of the 7th round. Probably age was the issue and running out of Gas.

60/40 doesn't reflect that if Wilder faced AJ (assuming he beats Parker) AJ would hold 3/4 belts (IBF, WBA and WBO). If we are talking fair then AJ should start with demanding 75% of the purse. I mean $2.1m from the Ortiz fight is all Wilder earned - is a reflection of his US box office appeal. It wasn't even on PPV here in the UK as far as I know.

I don't quite get your logic around purse history being a basis for determining the split. Fighting in the UK does generate more money these days but it's a different market. If Wilder comes to the UK then he's entitled to more than he would get if he were fighting in the States. It's like saying Finn Russell should be paid a Pro14 salary even if he plays for Racing 92. He gets whatever rate that market is willing to pay.

I don't quite get your logic around purse history being a basis for determining the split. Fighting in the UK does generate more money these days but it's a different market. If Wilder comes to the UK then he's entitled to more than he would get if he were fighting in the States. It's like saying Finn Russell should be paid a Pro14 salary even if he plays for Racing 92. He gets whatever rate that market is willing to pay.

The Market rate is what Wilder and his team can negotiate. Right now AJ has more bargaining power as he can put more bums on seats and bring in more PPV in the UK.
He would also be putting 3 belts on the line to Wilder's 1 belt.

The Wilder v Ortiz split purse of $2.6m if accurate was just example of Wilder's lack of box office appeal stateside and worldwide because surely the purse for that fight would have taken into account ticket and tv rights worldwide, not just stateside. Take AJ out of the equation and the size of the purse would shrink considerably. I'd like to see the purse for Parker v Wilder fight would be, wherever it is held. And you're right right now the UK boxing market is hot, much hotter than the US.

It's not like Finn Russell playing in the top 14 but being paid a Pro12 wage. It would also be up to him and his agent to negotiate his wage in the Top 14 if he were to play there. If there were a surplus of flyhalfs of his quality available to those top 14 and Premiership clubs then his bargaining power would be deminished. If he doesn't like it then he goes elsewhere same for Deontay, but Deontay knows the money is too enticing to not fight AJ and right now this fight is most likely in the UK, unless Vegas comes a calling. But then that comes down to both AJ and Wilder's appeal stateside.

Personally, I think if Wilder gets in the ring with Joshua he's going to dance around for a bit, throwing the occasional (Extremely quick) hook. He'll get caught by one punch and wonder what the hell just happened.
He's relying more on being mouthy to promote himself, than any real pedigree. It obviously sells tickets and ppv, but it's often the only reason they get in the ring with people who draw the crowds due to ability.
Joshua v Klitshko didn't need the trash talk, the fight sold itself, and they both came out of it better than they went in.
I get the feeling that Joshua v Wilder will end like Calzaghe v Lacey, with the 'big mouth yank' getting taught a lesson, and possibly ending their (real) career.

AJ come in a lot lighter compared to last time: 17 stone 4 pounds. Dropped 12 pounds compared to v Takam.

Parker weighing in 16 stone 12.

Both look in phenomenal shape. Should be a great fight.

Last edited:
Yep AJ was saying it felt like carrying 2 babies on his back v Takam. Dropping 5 KGs in weight should make him more mobile and if it does go to the later rounds less likely to gas out. I still see him having the power advantage v Parker and so it'll really come down to who has the better boxing skills and ring craft. AJ's reach should also come into play and hope to see him use that left jab to wear down Parker before going for the kill in the later rounds.

Surprised at the respect both showed to each other at the weigh in. Makes a change from the put on trash talking and just let the fight sell itself.

Come on Price.

Edit: brutal knockout. Price didn't know where he was.

Last edited:
Deontay Wilder just said he can't fight himself/Can't punch himself

And that's why he'll never be on Tyson Fury's level

Good distance from AJ really backing Parker up against the ropes.

Parker was taking advice from the simpsons I guess hoping AJ would tire at the end.

Wilder for me is the best current HW ATM, then AJ.

Talk talk (have it on in the background) are livid about the ref.

This is why MMA is taking over.

£20 for that ****.
Aye, boxing is easily my least favourite combat sport.
Glory kickboxing this weekend to wash this bad taste away, I'm always amazed kickboxing is such a small sport.

Aye, boxing is easily my least favourite combat sport.
Glory kickboxing this weekend to wash this bad taste away, I'm always amazed kickboxing is such a small sport.

It lacks promotion the amount of money UFC pumped into MMA to make it mainstream must be monstrous.

So glad I didn't fork out the money for this fight.

Latest posts