• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

This is quite an important detail you forgot to mention in your previous posts.

Not really, I never took it at all seriously and barely paid attention. I see myself as having no real ground training. As long as you can maintain the distance between yourself and a person who's only weapon is the takedown and the ground game you'll be fine. Keeping the distance really isn't that hard and avoiding the takedown isn't either.

Though I am wondering what makes you an authority on the subject? Do you have any combat sport experience? Have you successfully used BJJ in the ring against someone who is primarily a striker?
Or are your opinions formed off things other have written on the internet and watching UFC or Belator?

This isnt'a stab at you either, I genuinely want to know what you're experience in this matter is, I myself have had my fair share boxing matches in the last 3 years, 5 Muay Thai fights and done probably 80 rounds of MMA sparring with the MMA fighters at the gym.

Last edited:
Not really, I never took it at all seriously and barely paid attention.
So, you brought up the fact that you have 5 years of wrestling experience, you claim that it comes easy to you to avoid being taken down, and you also claim that wrestling is irrelevant.

If you can't see the contradiction i can't help you.

As long as you can maintain the distance between yourself and a person who's only weapon is the takedown and the ground game you'll be fine.
Disagree 100%, especially among people with little/medium training.

Though I am wondering what makes you an authority on the subject? Do you have any combat sport experience? Have you successfully used BJJ in the ring against someone who is primarily a striker?
Or are your opinions formed off things other have written on the internet and watching UFC or Belator?
Several questions, i'll adress one at a time.
- Never claimed to be an expert. Just telling you my experience, which happens to coincide with pretty much everyone i practised with.
I am 100% sure that me after 1 year of bjj would destroy myself after 1 year of boxing. It's not even a contest.
- 5 years judo, 10 years boxing, 1 year bjj
- Yes
- Coming from someone who doesn't stop throwing unverifiable info about himself, that's cute, real cute. This isn't a stab at you either.

So, you brought up the fact that you have 5 years of wrestling experience, you claim that it comes easy to you to avoid being taken down, and you also claim that wrestling is irrelevant.

If you can't see the contradiction i can't help you.

Disagree 100%, especially among people with little/medium training.

Several questions, i'll adress one at a time.
- Never claimed to be an expert. Just telling you my experience, which happens to coincide with pretty much everyone i practised with.
I am 100% sure that me after 1 year of bjj would destroy myself after 1 year of boxing. It's not even a contest.
- 5 years judo, 10 years boxing, 1 year bjj
- Yes
- Coming from someone who doesn't stop throwing unverifiable info about himself, that's cute, real cute. This isn't a stab at you either.

Have you ever had actual full contact MMA sparring or a match? Have you ever pitted BJJ against boxing? What is your experience in this exact scenario. Not what your friends at the gym think.
You seem to be forgetting the fact that taking someone down is a lot harder when they're continually applying pressure and punching you in the face. I'm not talking about UFC levels of athleticism here an Elite BJJ fighter in the UFC is used to being punched in the face. The usual BJJ fighter you would encounter in the street, who does strictly BJJ is not used to being punched in the face or kicked in the head.
Have you ever been teep kicked in the face while attempting a takedown? If so how did that take down work out for you afterwards?
And I'd say my display picture of me actually fighting would probably be a little bit verifiable.

Last edited:
Wow, where to start...

Have you ever pitted BJJ against boxing?
Do you need to ask questions i've already answered again because you are slow witted or you staunchly refuse to read? Can't tell.

What is your experience in this exact scenario.
My experience is there is very little the striker can do to stop a take down if he has no experience/training stopping take downs.

And I'd say my display picture of me actually fighting would probably be a little bit verifiable.
Most tough guys behind a monitor say that.

Sure it is. Keep telling yourself that.

Most tough guys behind a monitor say that.

Sure it is. Keep telling yourself that.

To be completely honest I stopped taking your posts seriously because you're quite rude and standoffish, on every post I've encountered you on. You just seem to think you're an authority on the matter but you've likely never fought at all.

If I was going to pretend I wouldn't pick a skinny white guy, I'll tell you that.

Last edited:
So it looks like AJ will be fighting Andy Ruiz Jnr (who Joseph Parker even beat) instead of Jarrell Miller. What an absolute joke of a fight. Looks like they low bowled a few bums to see which one would bite. Ruiz fought only two weeks ago and is now going to fight AJ in 4.5 weeks?! Eddie Hearn will no doubt go into gobshite overdrive trying to convince everyone that it's a great fight.

The heavyweight division has three top guys and the greed of the two champions is preventing the best fights from being made. It's almost like two alpha males saying you can have your patch and I'll keep mine and yet in public they both accuse the other of running scared. Wilder shouldn't even be the champion thanks to some crooked judges after he was out boxed by Fury and now he's fighting another non contender in the form of Brazeale. I've said it before but the sport needs a major overhaul - champions greed is stopping the best fights being made. Dillian Whyte has even confirmed several times that AJ wanted the lion's share of money in the rematch in the event that Whyte beat AJ - what a farce. If you get beat and lose the belts then you lose the lion's share and accept that you're now the B side. I hope the fans boycott the pay per views for both AJ's and Wilder's fights in protest.

Last edited:
If anything has been shown at heavyweight reach is so important. AJ has an enormous height and reach advantage over Ruiz. Only seen Ruiz fight once v Parker and just remember the rolls of fat on his belly. But at least he stood up to Parker for 12 rounds and arguably won. But won't pay to watch it.

If anything has been shown at heavyweight reach is so important. AJ has an enormous height and reach advantage over Ruiz. Only seen Ruiz fight once v Parker and just remember the rolls of fat on his belly. But at least he stood up to Parker for 12 rounds and arguably won. But won't pay to watch it.

I remember Ruiz's fight against Tor Hamer on a Pacquiao undercard, he's always been fat but he's always been dangerous. Dangerous enough to challenge AJ? doubtful.

I remember Ruiz's fight against Tor Hamer on a Pacquiao undercard, he's always been fat but he's always been dangerous. Dangerous enough to challenge AJ? doubtful.

Yeah that is just his body shape and he doesn't look like a top end classic heavyweight. He can box and shouldn't just be judged on his lack of having a six pack. The opposite of AJ in build. But AJ would have to be extremely careless not to win. But as Tyson said everyone has a plan until they get smacked in the mouth.

'The Monster' was monstrous tonight.
Hoping I wake up to find out Brezeale(sp?) has shut the windmilling Wylder up, and put the belt into the hands of someone who has the balls to fight AJ.

'The Monster' was monstrous tonight.
Hoping I wake up to find out Brezeale(sp?) has shut the windmilling Wylder up, and put the belt into the hands of someone who has the balls to fight AJ.
Won't happen. Brezeale is tailer made for Wilder. Big, slow and easy to hit. That's why he was picked ahead of the number 1 ranked fighter in the WBC Dillian Whyte.

Well, Wilder put Breazeale away easily. Didn't rate Breazeale in any case.

Looks like the heavyweight division will be on freeze for the foreseeable future as AJ, Wilder and Fury pick up their easy pay packets for little risk beating these Bums.

It was too good to be true after some good fights at the top end. We could be waiting a couple more years until they fight each other now they are signed with different networks. They'll eventually fight each other but when they are each way past their primes.

Looks like the heavyweight division will be on freeze for the foreseeable future as AJ, Wilder and Fury pick up their easy pay packets for little risk beating these Bums.

It was too good to be true after some good fights at the top end. We could be waiting a couple more years until they fight each other now they are signed with different networks. They'll eventually fight each other but when they are each way past their primes.
Unfortunately this is all about the promoters.

Finkel and Warren are trying to freeze Hearn out in the hope that the likes of Whyte and AJ sign with them. Hearn is trying to use his DAZN platform to Hoover up all the top fighters.

This isn't about what's best for the sport or getting the best fights it's about power.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly in my opinion.

I apologise for the double posting (even if it is separated by 12days).
Looks like Wilder bottled it once again. I get the feeling he's worried about being another 'bum' that's fought Joshua and been ko'd.
May be looking for another Vegas dodgy judge fight vs Fury, before having his ass handed to him by AJ.

I apologise for the double posting (even if it is separated by 12days).
Looks like Wilder bottled it once again. I get the feeling he's worried about being another 'bum' that's fought Joshua and been ko'd.
May be looking for another Vegas dodgy judge fight vs Fury, before having his ass handed to him by AJ.
Just announced that Fury is the next opponent after the Ortiz fight

Used to be a massive boxing fan but fell in love with MMA about 15 years ago and never really had the urge to go back and watch any Queensbury. On the off chance though this afternoon I left Sky Action on after the Super Rugby and 'When Naz Hit New York' came on while I was busy tidying up and it gripped me enough to rewind it back to the start and sit through the whole ep.

Was a huge Naz fan back in the day, regardless of the fact that he humbled Steve Robinson in Cardiff... I just love characters and entertainers, who can back it up with talent and endeavour. I had forgotten quite what a legend he was though. The guys centre of gravity must've been about six feet underground, his timing was Doc Brown-esque and his charisma was like a post-modern Ali... if there are people here too young to remember Naz, try and catch this show the next time it airs, a true phenomenon.

Latest posts