• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brian Moore-WHY?

D

danny

Can someone please tell me why Brian Moore is still comentating on BBC. With the world cup being on i had forgotten what an unprofessional, clueless half wit the man is. He totally ruined the Tigers v Cardiff gametoday. Im sorry for ever having a go at Will Greenwood.

I'm not sure where another Brian Moore thread is really going to get us, he seems to have that love-hate thing going on and there doesn't seem to be any in between with him.

He may make some idiotic comments at times, i.e. he does make racist comments against the French but the BBC seem to tolerate him, but other than that I find him quite good to listen to.

But really there isn't anyone better at the BBC, Davies is just a jumped up little twerp, Guscott just sits there and tries to look pretty, Wood seems to be chomping at the bit to say something but seems to be kept on a tight leash and as for some of the regional efforts, they're best left there.

I'm not sure where another Brian Moore thread is really going to get us, he seems to have that love-hate thing going on and there doesn't seem to be any in between with him.

He may make some idiotic comments at times, i.e. he does make racist comments against the French but the BBC seem to tolerate him, but other than that I find him quite good to listen to.

But really there isn't anyone better at the BBC, Davies is just a jumped up little twerp, Guscott just sits there and tries to look pretty, Wood seems to be chomping at the bit to say something but seems to be kept on a tight leash and as for some of the regional efforts, they're best left there.
[/b]

What they need is a professional broadcaster backed up by a former international but not Moore. I know he's not British but Pienaar was an exellent orator throughout the WC.

What a bunch of miserable old Meldrews! Moore is only awful when he's paired with that abominable Eddie Butler.

He was pretty good today when paired with Andy Cotter and did a pretty good job, nothing outrageous (today anyway) and let Cotter take the lead most of the time.

Edwards is an excellent pundit, a happy and generally bright Welshman. Unlike Moore he tends to keep a tidy sheet and doesn't say anything too outrageous or sensational, keeps his cool and gets on well with Keith Wood.

Gusgott...er....I'd run out of words if I were to describe why he shouldn't be a pundit. Anaylsist yes, pundit...no.

Greenwood is the perfect choice for a commentator and with Andy Cotter I think you would have the perfect duo. But I do think that people do overreact with Brian Moore. Whatever he says about the French is repaid in kind by his opposite numbers in France when he was playing. You can call it racism if you want but to be honest, its just simple banter mentioned every now and then.

What a bunch of miserable old Meldrews! Moore is only awful when he's paired with that abominable Eddie Butler.

He was pretty good today when paired with Andy Cotter and did a pretty good job, nothing outrageous (today anyway) and let Cotter take the lead most of the time.

Edwards is an excellent pundit, a happy and generally bright Welshman. Unlike Moore he tends to keep a tidy sheet and doesn't say anything too outrageous or sensational, keeps his cool and gets on well with Keith Wood.

Gusgott...er....I'd run out of words if I were to describe why he shouldn't be a pundit. Anaylsist yes, pundit...no.

Greenwood is the perfect choice for a commentator and with Andy Cotter I think you would have the perfect duo. But I do think that people do overreact with Brian Moore. Whatever he says about the French is repaid in kind by his opposite numbers in France when he was playing. You can call it racism if you want but to be honest, its just simple banter mentioned every now and then.
[/b]

Im not giving Moore a bad rap cause hes racist, I just think he doesnt help the flow of the game when he is commentating . All of a sudden play has continued and hes still talking about some illegal tackle that happened twenty minutes ago. If i thought for a minute that Moore (who in fairness was a tremendous combative hooker) was racist I would be the first person to condem him and have him removed from broadcasting. My beef is with his quality.

Oh no no, sorry Danny, the racist stuff was a seperate debate with An Tarbh.

I thought that was some of the worst commentary I've ever heard in all my life during the Blues v Tiggers game, how can anyone say it was good or even acceptable? :huh:

I don't see the problem with Moore. He is concise, says what he thinks, and will always critiscise both teams as much as they deserve. I think people need to take some of his tongue-in-cheek remarks slightly less seriously.

Also been very impressed with Andrew Cotter recently, he's a far better holding man than Eddie Butler.

Cotter just does his job (i.e. jose what you see!) rather than trying to be a kind of quasi pundit like Butler does when he talks rubbish.

I don't see the problem with Moore. He is concise, says what he thinks, and will always critiscise both teams as much as they deserve.
[/b]

Aww, come on.
You don't mean to tell me that he's not 100% biased towards England everytime he commentates. He can only see when others do wrong. If England do wrong he just so happens to have had a blind eye turned to the incident.
I don't think he's a very good commentator personally, and i question whether i really want to see a particular rugby match if Moore and Butler are commentating together.

I can't think of many commentators who aren't biased in all honesty;

Barry Davies - Wales
Guscott, Harrisson, Moore, <strike>Webb</strike> Greenwood - England
Barnes - Bath
Morris - Bristol
Mexted - New Zealand

In fact, the last commentator I heard who didn't show blatent bias was Bill McLaren, and even then his voice would would go up an octive or two whenever Scotland did anything well!

Very good point, Mite.

I just sense it more with Moore than any other commentator. I just don't like him.

And don't get me started on Mexted - worse than Moore (regarding bias, commentating capabilities etc.) by 10 fold!

I seem to remember Moore spending most of the last Six Nations moaning about how **** England were.

The thing that sets him apart is that he openly lays into everyone else, not that he gives England any special praise.

heh, all commentators are biased. Moore redeems himself now and then with bursts of honesty. I prefer ones who know they are biased (Moore and Greenwood) vs those that think they are 'impartial' (Harrison and Butler are the worst). Mexted often acknowledges his bais on air with an apology or sorts.

Was it Stu Wilson that commentated on a crooked line-out at the ANZ semi-finals, saying "I've know women who can **** straighter than than that standing up." :huh:

I agree about commentators that know that they are biased. there is usually so much anti-english bias that it doesn't bother me. At least moore still picks up on english mistakes. the "racism2 with France i think is part banter, part left over issues from his playing days. I may be wrong but i think rugby in general and french rugby in particular was a lot dirtier when he was an international.

As far as BBC general standard of commentators goes, Moore is toward the top. He's still irritating and games on Sky are so much better.

At least we don't have John Motson on the rugby though.

Or Murray Walker.

<Murray> And there goes New Zealand on the attack!!
<Moore> ...thats Leicester Murray...

Anyone catch the Butler-Moore debate over the origins of the Cornish language? It was during the Tigers-Wasps game, I think.

It started off with a reference to Vickery, who is from Cornwall I guess. This inspired Moore to inform us that Cornish is akin to Basque, in that no one knows where it came from. Butler demurred, stating that Cornish is a celtic language, and then gave an exhaustive list of those languages. Moore told him he was wrong. Butler said, No you're wrong. Then there was a bit of a "shut up you old fool" exchange. Moore called a truce with some lame gag about pasties, or something, and they both returned their attention to a rather good game of rugby. Gripping.

Or Murray Walker.

<Murray> And there goes New Zealand on the attack!!
<Moore> ...thats Leicester Murray...
[/b]

Murray - OH MY WORD HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT
Moore - that's a scrum Murray and a gay slap for you as well.

Latest posts