• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brian Moore-WHY?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Comparing Brian Moore to "Hitler" doesn't exactly help your argument really to be honest. Also, exaggerating what Moore complains about doesn't really help.
[/b]
I wasn't actually comparing Moore to Hitler, what I was doing was illustrating that speaking your mind doesn't necessarily equal colourful and entertaining and an extreme example was the only thing I thought would work after you seemingly ignored my more subtle attempts to make the same point in previous posts - the same goes with my exagerations of Moore (though I think it works in contrast to your own assertions that essentially anyone not like Moore is bland and dull).
[/b][/quote]

I dont think exaggerating about what Moore does in a game and ignoring what I defined as bland and pc counts as 'subtle' I'm afraid. Colourful as it was, it doesnt make any sense to include a dictator as an argument against Moore, only then to claim that you were not comparing Moore with him despite the fact that such a comparison is all but inevitable in the route you have chosen.

[/b][/quote]
Seriously, it's like the 10th time I posted on this topic and each time you said I wanted dull so I thought "f#ck it I'll just make it bloody obvious". And hey, you stopped suggesting Moore was the sole representative of opinion and personality in commentary so I guess it kinda worked :p .
Well, by the same token, a heck of a lot of other people like him it would appear and enjoy his brand of punditry!
[/b]
From the sounds of it that's more a reflection of pretty bad NH commentary across the board... and even then it's fairly even. Haven't heard many SH boys cheering for Moore.
The truth is more in line with along the lines of what Mite said. However, I am satisfied that on what you have said you wanted in a pundit, I found frankly dull. Didnt find everyone else's suggestions dull, just the one person who seems most stung by some admittedly harsh remarks.
[/b]
How would you know? you don't even know who I'm talking about from the sounds of your responses. On the other hand I know full well who you are talking about.
In any case, the fact that everyone is talking about Brian Moore proves my point that he starts great arguments! :lol:
[/b]
Arguments, sure. But great arguments? We've spent pages basically arguing over whether or not this guy has any place in a commentary box... a great argument would have been one about the state of the game.
But hey, I guess starting arguments is something... which I guess kind of makes Moore the Bill O'Reilly of Rugby - he may not have a single useful thing to say, but he sure as **** knows how to **** people off.

Seriously, it's like the 10th time I posted on this topic and each time you said I wanted dull so I thought "f#ck it I'll just make it bloody obvious". And hey, you stopped suggesting Moore was the sole representative of opinion and personality in commentary so I guess it kinda worked :p . [/b]

Its funny because you've misunderstood what I was saying about Moore and it wasn't that he was the sole representative of opinion and personality in commentary. Que sera I guess :p

Maybe it was just you not getting the message about your idea of a pundit, maybe?

From the sounds of it that's more a reflection of pretty bad NH commentary across the board... and even then it's fairly even. Haven't heard many SH boys cheering for Moore.[/b]

From the sounds of it, you're just confirming that you agree with what Mite said without actually saying that you agree with what Mite said.

How would you know? you don't even know who I'm talking about from the sounds of your responses. On the other hand I know full well who you are talking about.[/b]

Sorry, you read what I said incorrectly. I was talking about what you said you wanted to see in a pundit!

Arguments, sure. But great arguments? We've spent pages basically arguing over whether or not this guy has any place in a commentary box... a great argument would have been one about the state of the game.
But hey, I guess starting arguments is something... which I guess kind of makes Moore the Bill O'Reilly of Rugby - he may not have a single useful thing to say, but he sure as **** knows how to **** people off. [/b]

Essentially, we've spent pages with you emphatically thinking that you're right and rejecting any argument that might dispute that idea and me suggesting that he isn't so bad as you make out and that the alternative isn't as amazing as you make out. A circular argument in which we end in a stalemate.

At this point, I await your reply which will no doubt make the point essentially saying, "yes! We are at a stalemate! Only the difference is that I'm right!"

Hmmm? I thought I'd posted a reply to Teh Mite earlier... Must never have gone through. Oh well, yes, I 100% agree with Teh Mite. He's bang on. I never argued with his point... I really only ever disagreed with you because it just seemed that most of your responses had you labeling people who disliked Moore's style of commentary as wanting dull and boring PC stuff.

As for the rest, well the use of the word "pundit" is pivotal. The word isn't ever used in reference to rugby "commentary" as far as I'm aware of, but fair enough, you want a fox news style pundit to commentate your rugby. That to me starts to overshadow the main game itself. Personally I don't mind them being a bit bias, but applaud the personality commentator who can be a smart arse that calls a spade a spade yet manages to apply that somewhat evenly. I also like them to be a little less serious and sound like they're enjoying themselves. I never tried to make this "alternative" sound "amazing" mind you, I was merely trying to say "hey there's this guy who commentates the S14 and he aint PC, and he's pretty funny too, so you don't have to be like Moore to break away from the PC mold". Though in my zeal I probably made it sound more combative than that :p .

So yes, that's what I want and you're right we've reached the obvious point - what I want equals PC and boring to you and what you want just annoys the **** out of me... guess we'll call it a day ;) .

Latest posts