• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calling All Catholics!

O

O'Rothlain

So, I'm going to my first Catechism Class tonight with my cousin and his wife. None of us were raised Catholic, but as students of religious studies have always been intrigued what it's like on the other side of the Christian Fence.
Anyone else done this, or know what goes on? I just want to know what to expect, and possibly see who I might be able to go to for minor questions.
In nomine Patris et fillii et Spiritus Sancti

These guys are the best to ask

fatherted.jpg

So, I'm going to my first Catechism Class tonight with my cousin and his wife. None of us were raised Catholic, but as students of religious studies have always been intrigued what it's like on the other side of the Christian Fence.
Anyone else done this, or know what goes on? I just want to know what to expect, and possibly see who I might be able to go to for minor questions.
In nomine Patris et fillii et Spiritus Sancti
[/b]

I've no idea about formal catechism sessions. I generally just go with the flow when it comes to my faith but if you've got any questions I'll try to answer in laity terms (Ie how I deal with it).

If it's anything to tricky I can ask my mate Ron who's a priest.

Let me know how it goes as I am interested how as formal a-session like that does.

On that note I'm pretty sure I'm off to Lourdes again this year for my voluntary work. Pretty chuffed with that actually.

<div class='quotemain'>
These guys are the best to ask

fatherted.jpg

[/b]
Father Dougal McGuire is my main inspiration in converting.
[/b][/quote]

Free booze too!

Our Fr Ted box set is absolutely invaluable.

"That would be an ecumenical matter!"

I gotta feckin order myself the series...I keep meaning to do so.
[/b]

Between that and Life of Brian you've got the whole Catholic thing covered!

Well, I went last night and really enjoyed it. They gave me a stack of literature you'd pay well over $100 for if I went to a book store. So, we'll see if I eventually cross over to the dark side, as my family sees it. I come from a big family full of evangelical ministers.

Well, I went last night and really enjoyed it. They gave me a stack of literature you'd pay well over $100 for if I went to a book store. So, we'll see if I eventually cross over to the dark side, as my family sees it. I come from a big family full of evangelical ministers.
[/b]

Purely from the inside looking outwards I'm wondering what is it draws you towards Catholicism...it seems to get a bad rep on various things. Obviously I think it's cool 'cause it's wrapped up with friends, family and background but I do wonder how neutrals view it.

PM or MySpace me if you'd prefer.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Purely from the inside looking outwards I'm wondering what is it draws you towards Catholicism...it seems to get a bad rep on various things. Obviously I think it's cool 'cause it's wrapped up with friends, family and background but I do wonder how neutrals view it.

PM or MySpace me if you'd prefer.
[/b][/quote]
Let's see...complicated intrigue.
Firstly, I am Christian and grew up in Evangelical/Charismatic background where the Catholics were bad because they worshiped Mary and all sorts of other stuff. I also am obsessed with history and religion...in fact I'm applying to get into a graduate program right now. So, from a historical standpoint you have the catholic church as one of the major players since the fall of Rome. From a religious standpoint I believe that the Christian Church has to be unified...which we are not because of all of the splitting off that has occurred. In America anyone who disagrees with what they hear at church will go off and start another church...it's a very bad problem, in my opinion. We (evangelical/charismatics) have lost tradition and focus on very superficial aspects of Christian Faith. I guess I'm searching for something a bit deeper...more meaning in the actual services. I also believe that the reformation should have stuck to reforming within instead of lashing out and separating, as well, as thinking that the Church of England (Anglicans and Episcopalians) was founded out of complete wrongness (Henry VIII). So, it's a lot of mixed things sparked by a bit of spiritual rebellion, I guess. I'm just curious. I've been told all sorts of reasons why they're wrong and bad, but I tend to believe that these people are not fully informed and are regurgitating bad information from someone else with misunderstanding of basic principles.

Let's see...complicated intrigue.
Firstly, I am Christian and grew up in Evangelical/Charismatic background where the Catholics were bad because they worshiped Mary and all sorts of other stuff. I also am obsessed with history and religion...in fact I'm applying to get into a graduate program right now. So, from a historical standpoint you have the catholic church as one of the major players since the fall of Rome. From a religious standpoint I believe that the Christian Church has to be unified...which we are not because of all of the splitting off that has occurred. In America anyone who disagrees with what they hear at church will go off and start another church...it's a very bad problem, in my opinion. We (evangelical/charismatics) have lost tradition and focus on very superficial aspects of Christian Faith. I guess I'm searching for something a bit deeper...more meaning in the actual services. I also believe that the reformation should have stuck to reforming within instead of lashing out and separating, as well, as thinking that the Church of England (Anglicans and Episcopalians) was founded out of complete wrongness (Henry VIII). So, it's a lot of mixed things sparked by a bit of spiritual rebellion, I guess. I'm just curious. I've been told all sorts of reasons why they're wrong and bad, but I tend to believe that these people are not fully informed and are regurgitating bad information from someone else with misunderstanding of basic principles.
[/b]

People being anti-Mary has always puzzled me....she's one of the biggest heroes in the whole story. Get her and St Bernadette onside and you can't go far wrong.

I don't practise - haven't the heart for it - but I do respect the faithful.

I grew up in the folk-music-mass era, and would prefer to have had a bit more latin and fiery sermonising. But then you do tend to "get more right wing as you grow older".

Check out the pope's controversial lecture on faith and reason, which gave offence to muslims:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...ensburg_en.html
His thinking is profound, and puts all the war-on-terror rhetoric to shame.

People being anti-Mary has always puzzled me....she's one of the biggest heroes in the whole story. Get her and St Bernadette onside and you can't go far wrong.
[/b]
It's not so much anti-Mary as it is anti-praying-to-anyone-else-besides-Jesus. The principle of praying to and the veneration of Saints is where the problem lies. Why go to them when you can go direct to the big man? He says that he is our "advocate." So, what is the purpose of praying to non-diety? We're all for Mary, and true, she is a hero...a true servant and the example of submission to God (outside of Christ).

I don't practise - haven't the heart for it - but I do respect the faithful.

I grew up in the folk-music-mass era, and would prefer to have had a bit more latin and fiery sermonising. But then you do tend to "get more right wing as you grow older".

Check out the pope's controversial lecture on faith and reason, which gave offence to muslims:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...ensburg_en.html
His thinking is profound, and puts all the war-on-terror rhetoric to shame.
[/b]
Thanks for the link...I always wanted to see what the fuss was all about.
It's another thing about Catholics I like...they do not waiver. If it was true, it is true...there are absolutes.

It's not so much anti-Mary as it is anti-praying-to-anyone-else-besides-Jesus. The principle of praying to and the veneration of Saints is where the problem lies. Why go to them when you can go direct to the big man? He says that he is our "advocate." So, what is the purpose of praying to non-diety? We're all for Mary, and true, she is a hero...a true servant and the example of submission to God (outside of Christ).

[/b]

Yipes, I pray to loads. I give thanks to God but when it comes to looking after me I figure the big Guy/Gal is too busy to worry about little me so I angle in on the other chaps.

St Joseph 'cause I took him as my confirmation name, St Bernadette 'cause of Lourdes, St Benet 'cause that was my school, St Anthony 'cause my Mum absolutely swears by him, St Sebastian 'cause he's the patron saint of athletes and sport plays a major part of my life, St George 'cause I'm English, St Francis Xavier 'cause he looked after us when we were travelling and Our Lady 'cause if God's house is anything like ours she'll be the REAL boss. ;)

[/b]
Protestants aren't anti-Mary - but it's reasonable to see veneration of Mary as a substitute for faith. And when it comes to the saints, there is plenty of lotto-type hope - a spin-of-the-wheel superstition.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Protestants aren't anti-Mary - but it's reasonable to see veneration of Mary as a substitute for faith. And when it comes to the saints, there is plenty of lotto-type hope - a spin-of-the-wheel superstition.
[/b][/quote]

I really do love this sort of discussion...really interesting how people see the whole thing. For me Our Lady & the Saints have always been something just as tangible of Jesus. You can't call veneration of Mary as a substitute for faith when you look at the devotion displayed by pilgrims in places like Lourdes, Guadalupe, Fatima, Medjugorie etc etc

Latest posts