• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calum Clark "incident" with Rob Hawkins - Arm Break

The law is rarely clearly defined or there wouldn't be a need for lawyers (like Luimneach18). Where does the law state that consent can only be given if related to activities within the rules of the game.

I remember reading a number of cases where it was argued that a person consents activities common within the culture of the sport (or something along those lines). What you can't consent to is (I don't know what the technical term in England is) something along the lines of actual bodily harm (and a black eye isn't included in that).

I don't know English Criminal law, it's been a few years at this stage. All I can think of is R v. Billinghurst. Don't even know what happened in that. Some rugby player got done for assault I think.

I assume the criminal law (as oppose to the laws of the game) that Clark would be in breach of would be under offences against the person. The issue of consent is dealt with in R v Brown (1993) in a which a group of sado masichists went at each other with 6 inch nails in the unmentionables. It was held that no person can consent to assault.

On a less high horse note I think it is vital that the game governs itself and is seen to be doing so. Players going to the police about other players actions on the field wouls set a dangerous precedent and allow those who are not familiar with the culture of Rugby to make important decisions and affect the game adversely.

Just my humble opinion but I haven't just had some psycho try to break my arm.

Not as though any of the over-excitable children on this board will ever read it when there's hyperbole to be spouted:

http://www.rfu.com/News/2012/March/NewsArticles/300312_Calum_Clark_judgment.aspx

RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION
DISCIPLINARY HEARING
At: Park Inn, Heathrow
On: Thursday 29 March 2012
JUDGMENT.
Player: Calum Clark Club: Northampton Saints

Match: Leicester Tigers v Northampton Saints
Venue: Welford Road Date of match: 18 March 2012
Judicial Officer: Jeff Blackett
Secretariat: Bruce Reece-Russel
Rebecca Morgan
Attending: The Player.
Richard Smith QC (Counsel)
Jim Mallinder (Northampton Director of Rugby)
Preliminary Issue
1. The Player did not object to the RFU Disciplinary Officer sitting as a single
judicial officer under RFU Regulation19.2.4.

The Citing Complaint
2. The Player was cited for, and admitted, an act contrary to good sportsmanship
in that he hyperextended the right arm of an opponent, causing significant injury.

3. The citing complaint stated:
“Time on Elite Hub
21.56 No 1 for Northampton Tonga’uiha makes break from ruck, Leicester
forwards retreating.
21.58 Tonga’huia goes to ground tackled by Leicester No 15 Murphy.
21.59 Leicester No 2 comes from open play and wraps his arms over
Tonga’huia who is on the ground
22.00 Northampton forwards drive over the forming ruck.
22.01 Leicester No 2 Hawkin’s left arm can be seen over the body of
Tonga’huia22.03 Referee close to the incident on the open side of play, blow his whistle for
an infringement and brings the game to a halt. Hawkins has arms wrapped
round Tonga’huia
2204 Northampton No6 Clark, on the left side can be seen to go down towards
the ground
22.05 Clark’s left arm can be seen withdrawing and then returning back towards
the ground
22.06 Clark can be seen rotating onto his back, using other players as a fulcrum
as he pulls on the right arm of Hawkins, hyper extending the arm at the elbow
causing a significant injury. This action takes place three seconds arger the
whistle has been blown
22.07 Clark rolls away from ruck. Hawkins can be seen clutching his right
arm/elbow region.
22.10 Hawkins can be seen in considerable discomfort and receives medical
treatment in the field of play. Medical report is available.
24.30 Replacement hooker for Leicester enters the match.
The referee said that he saw nothing of the incident recorded above; he looked
back on hearing a scream after the whistle had gone.â€

4. I viewed the DVD footage which included two angles and reflected the
sequence of events recorded by the citing officer. At the crucial moment, after the
referee had blown his whistle and the ruck was breaking up, the Player held Rob
Hawkins’ right arm under his own right arm pit and pulled the arm in the opposite
direction to its natural bend. A Northampton player was lying on top of Hawkins so
that he could not move when the Player pulled his arm backwards. The ruck broke up
and Hawkins was left lying on the ground in obvious pain. He was tended by
Leicester support staff and eventually left the field.

5. Hawkins subsequently had an X-Ray and CT scan on his right elbow, which,
according to an email from Puresportsmed dated 19 March, showed a comminuted
undisplaced fracture of the coronoid process. There were too many fragments for
surgical reconstruction but it should heal. It suggested that Hawkins would be out of
rugby for 8 â€" 10 weeks. A further medical report was submitted by Andrew Wallace,
a consultant shoulder and elbow surgeon. It stated:
“When I took Rob to theatre on Monday, I examined his elbow under
fluoroscopy. Whilst the joint was reasonably stable to varus-vagus loading in
the coronal plane, it immediately subluxed at any flexion angle less than 90
degrees. When I explored the medial aspect of the joint, I incised the flexor
origin to expose the underlying medial collateral ligament. Fortunately this was
intact, but I split it longitudinally to remove some small intra-articular fragments
of the coronoid fracture that were loose in the joint. I then repaired the ligament
and flexor origin but the coronoid fracture was too comminuted for internal
fixation.
Postoperatively he was placed in a backslab in 120 degrees flexion. My plan is
to see him in 2 weeks and inspect the wound, and transfer him into a dynamic
Mayo elbow brace. We will then gradually increase his extension range over a further four week period, hoping to achieve close to full extension by 6 weeks.
This will depend on how well the fracture and the torn anterior capsule heals.
After this six week period of relative immobilisation, he can then start to regain
strength over a further 4 â€" 6 weeks. Therefore it will be 10 â€" 12 weeks before
he will be fit to return to competitive rugby.
There is a risk of recurrent subluxation, wound infection, residual stiffness and
in the long term degenerative arthritis of the joint. Fortunately there was no
nerve injury either preoperatively or postoperatively. His injury was entirely
consistent with a forced hyper extension injury.â€

6. The Player said that Northampton had made a break and were on the
ascendancy. He entered the ruck looking for a body to clear out but there was none so
he looked for the ball. He found a player (Rob Hawkins) obstructing the ball. He first
moved to place his hand on the ball and then the whistle blew. Hawkins’s had moved
his hand back to the ball, and that prompted him to take action so Northampton could
play quickly. He said: “I grabbed his arm to use as a lever to roll him away in
desperation to win the ball. I was not fully aware of how vulnerable he was and that
his body could not roll â€" mainly because another Northampton player was lying on top
of him. I felt some resistance from his hand and continued to roll back. I pinned his
arm to my chest and hyper extended his elbow. Never any intention for that to happen
â€" I expected his body weight to follow him. Because of his position he was unable to
move.†He continued: “I had realised what I had done â€" I put my hand to my mouth.
I knew I was responsible and played rest of game in a fog. After game I was
approached by their coach who made it clear what he thought. For me the result of the
game was insignificant.â€

7. The Player said that after the game and since he has been devastated for lots of
reasons, primarily for Rob Hawkins himself. He said that he would not wish an injury
such as this on anybody. The most upsetting thing was how this reflects on him as a
player. He said: “I am physical and aggressive but always play within laws of the
game. It has been hard to deal with how others now think of me as a player.†He said
that he tried to apologise to Hawkins and sought him out at after match function. But
that was not well received â€" understandably â€" and he now intends to take it up further
by writing to him to say how sorry and upset he is and express how he feels about it.
Last weekend he went to coach local children and he was afraid that their parents
would not want someone perceived as a violent player to coach them. That fear was
difficult to deal with, although they were very understanding.
Submissions on behalf or the Player

8. The player is 22 years old. He has played 50 games for Northampton and
represented England at U16, U18 and U20 levels. He has a good disciplinary record â€"
with one matter recorded which occurred 5 years ago when he was 17 when he was
sent off for a head butt which led to a sanction of 5 weeks. He is part of the EPS
squad and had every expectation to be part of the England tour to South Africa in
June.

9. Mr Mallinder provided a written character reference to which he spoke. He
said he had known the Player since he was under18 and has watched his development.
He has seen his desire and willingness to give 100% commitment and he has watched
him develop. He appointed the Player as captain while the international players away.
He is a hard and committed man although he does become very frustrated at times and
something he has to learn is how to cope with frustration. This incident has caused
him great pain and upset and it is completely uncharacteristic.

10. Mr Smith traversed the criteria for assessing the seriousness of the offending
and submitted that the heart of this matter lay in the severity of the injury and the fact
that the victim player was vulnerable. He conceded that there was no guidance within
the recommended sanctions but suggested that, given there was no malicious intent to
hurt or injure, and that the Player had not intended the consequences this was not at
the top end of a scale of seriousness. Fortunately Mr Hawkins will be able to play in
about 3 months and, without playing down the seriousness of the injury, it is
important that any sanction was applied within the context of what occurred. He
conceded that it would be unfair for the Player to return to play before Mr Hawkins
was fully fit and suggested that period during which Mr Hawkins would be injured
echoed sensibly where the appropriate sanction should lie.

11. Mr Smith submitted that the one previous incident of foul play could be
ignored because it was five years old and committed when the Player was under 18
and that he could be treated as a man of good character. He said that it was clear to
see that his remorse was genuine and that he was fully aware of what he had done. He
asked that the Player be given full credit for all of these matters.
Sanction

12. I undertook an assessment of the seriousness of the Player’s conduct.
a. The offending was intentional. The Player clearly intended to pull
Hawkins’ arm backwards after the whistle had been blown so that the ball
became available and his side could play the ball quickly. I accept that he
did not intend to harm Hawkins or cause him injury. I come to that
conclusion because the Player is not known as one who commits foul play,
and by the way he presented and expressed himself at the hearing. He is
not a thug and presented as a genuine young man who was prepared to, and
accepted, responsibility for his actions and their consequences.
b. There was no provocation. The act was designed to remove an opponent
from the ball.
c. The effect of the Player’s action on the victim were considerable. He
caused him significant pain and fractured his elbow. This injury required
surgery, will keep the victim out of the game for three months and may
have long term effects (residual stiffness and degenerative arthritis).d. Hawkins was very vulnerable â€" he was trapped beneath another body and
was unable to anticipate the Player’s actions nor take any action to avoid
the pain and subsequent injury.
e. The incident took about 2 seconds and there was no premeditation
f. There was no effect on the game.
g. The incident occurred after the referee had stopped play, and the Player
knew that to be the case. He then applied force against an opponent so that
his side could gain quick advantage. Taking this action after the whistle
was blown is a pertinent feature of the Player’s conduct which constitutes
the offending which makes it more serious, because it was not something
that occurred during play when opponents might have been competing for
the ball.

8. In those circumstances I assessed that this offence was high on the scale of
seriousness, not least because the Player intentionally bent a vulnerable opponent’s
arm backwards causing a very severe injury, and he did so after the referee had blown
his whistle to stop play. In assessing it as serious I would like to stress that I accept
that the Player is not malicious and did not intend to cause serious injury. Although
he did intend to pull Hawkins’ arm backwards he did so in an attempt to move
Hawkins away from the ball in his eagerness to maintain his side’s momentum.
Nevertheless he was reckless in not taking greater care to avoid causing serious injury.
This is a unique set of circumstances and so it would be meaningless to attempt to set
Low End, Mid Range or Top End entry points â€" it is enough to say this is a serious
matter. There is no guidance in the Recommended Sanctions for this offence and in
those circumstances the appropriate sanction to be imposed is at the discretion of the
Judicial Officer.

9. In exercising that discretion to determine the appropriate sanction I have
considered the rationale behind the sanctioning process. On field discipline is based
on at least three principles or tenets:
a. the protection of victim players from injury;
b. the protection of offending players from prosecution in the criminal courts
(on the basis that provided a sport’s sanctions are sufficient the courts are
less likely to intervene); and
c. the protection of the image of the Game.

10. In this case:
a. there has been a serious injury, and any sanction must demonstrate that
players who commit foul play â€" particularly interference with an opponent
after the referee has blown his whistle to stop play - which leads to
significant injury will be punished severely
b. police intervention is unlikely as the Player did not have the requisite mens
rea to have committed a criminal offence; and finallyc. this act looked dreadful and it had the potential to damage the image of the
Game and undermine the core values of discipline, respect and
sportsmanship.

11. In considering an entry point I have searched for precedents from the RFU and
other jurisdictions to see if they can render any assistance. I was unable to find any.
In those circumstances, the sanction is at large. Had there been any evidence that the
Player intended to hurt an opponent (even if he did not mean to injure him) the
appropriate entry point would have been in the order of five years’ suspension
1. That is not the case here, so the entry point can be considerably lower. However, I do not
agree with Mr Smith’s submission that the sanction should equate to the period of
Hawkins injury. In my view that approach would be inadequate because it would not
reflect the serious matters noted above. The Player must be suspended for a good deal
longer than Hawkins is absent from the game to reflect the seriousness of the
offending.

12. To a certain extent the entry point depends on my view of the offending and its
effect on the Game, based on my rugby experience. It is certainly worse than the
worst sort of punch which might attract a maximum suspension of 52 weeks, so it
must be longer than that period. In calculating the entry point I have therefore taken
that figure and added to it the length of time Hawkins is likely to be absent through
injury â€" that is 12 weeks. In those circumstances I have determined that the entry
point should be 64 weeks. This formula seems appropriate to reflect the importance
of preserving the image of the game, acknowledging the injury and discomfort caused
to Hawkins and the other factors noted which make this so serious, whilst taking
account of all that has been said by the Player and on his behalf.

13. There are no aggravating features and all of the standard mitigating factors are
present. The Player is genuinely contrite, he realises the damage done to an individual
and to the wider image of the Game, he admitted culpability at the earliest opportunity
and he undoubtedly wishes to make reparation for his offending. He is, therefore,
entitled to 50% discount from that entry point which leads me to conclude that the
appropriate sanction is a suspension of 32 weeks. Since this is a long sanction it will
run continuously through the summer vacation without a break.

14. The Player is therefore suspended for 32 weeks from 22 March to 1
November 2012. He may play again on 2 November 2012.
Right of Appeal

15. The Player is reminded of his right of appeal which should be notified to the
RFU Disciplinary manager within 48 hours of the publication of this judgment (not
including the weekend). For the avoidance of doubt, any appeal must be lodged by
1200 on Tuesday 3 April.
Based on the ERC case of Trevor Brennan (2007) who left the playing arena to attack a spectator and
was suspended for five years (on appeal).Costs

16. The Player/Club will pay the standard costs of £500.
Comment

17. I commend the Club for their prompt action in suspending the Player pending
the outcome of this hearing. I also wish to thank Mr Smith for his very helpful
submissions and assistance in determining the correct approach to sanctioning.

Signed: HHJ Jeff Blackett Date: 29 March 2012

Last edited:
Fom that, yes I did read it all, I think the ban is just and should rid us of hyperbole. Should.

Can we move on now please?

Latest posts