• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The real lessons England must learn from this Autumn...

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
TalbotBlogEngNZ.png

Optimism, Excitement, Frustration, Confusion, Desperation, Anger, Delight, Joy, Pride.
Just some of the emotions England fans went through this autumn watching their nation
do battle at HQ. As the dust settles on England outstanding victory against the World
Champions, it's time England rugby looked long and hard at themselves and realised that
they live and die by their actions.

The simple truth's the England squad must face from this Autumn's test matches is that for
the decisive tests against Australia and South Africa the English red rose were simply not
good enough. Yes England have comprehensively beaten the All Blacks and made history in
their final game but simply why did England not turn up with the same attitude, intent and
malice against the Wallabies 2 weeks earlier?

Squad time, training, access to players, combinations, media expectations, twitter. The
England team are in the spotlight now more than ever. The performance against Australia
was simply not good enough from 1 to 15. Australia were smarter, more disciplined, more
clinical and most importantly looked like a team. England downfall was summed up by
their decision not to kick for posts on 54 minutes. Kickable penalties were turned down
and from that moment on England were chasing the game and inevitably lost. For Toby
Flood, this signalled poor leadership. As England's highest capped player on the pitch it
was his responsibility to calm things down, take the points on offer and lead the team in
constructing an attack from the inevitable re-start. The most disappointing performance of
the Lancaster era by far. Australia were there for the taking and England knew it. A warning
for the touring British and Irish Lions next year.

A much changed team made heavy improvements against the Boks a week later, a more
balanced side equally matched the South Africans at the collision. Chris Robshaw was
absolutely correct in his decision to kick for posts. With a minute left, England had only to
secure possession from the re-start and launch a patient but effective attack which would
have seen a starstruck Springboks side scared to give away a penalty at the breakdown.
Instead England failed to secure possession at the re-start and the game was lost.

And finally England launch a monumental display against the All Blacks. They take all their
mistakes against from the previous 2 weeks and turn them into positives, they turn territory
into points, points into pressure and pressure into tries. One can only be overwhelmed at
how NZ came back from 15-0 to 15-14. However NZ were utterly outplayed by England who
never took a step back in the contact. England attitude was simply " We are going to smash
you, and smash you and smash you"

As the rugby world returns to the domestic game and eyes wander to next years 6
nations England must learn, and learn fast from this autumn's lessons. In their first 3 games
they were simply not good enough at every stage. Rugby is a simple game, made up of
basic skills. With the margin for error so small England have to perfect these areas or keep
losing games they should win. Restarts, handling, decision making, tackling, kicking at goal,
tackling, jackling. These basics against the Wallabies and Boks were poor and consequently
England lost. More often than not in the last 10 years England have been second best at
the basics of the game, and it has shown. Against the All Blacks England were fantastic,
although went back to kicking too deep for restarts after NZ second try.
Owen Farrell brought with him composure in open play, as well as when kicking for goal.
In contrast Toby
Flood lacked control, was sporadic and missed attempts at goals. England lost 15-16 against
SA, if Flood had landed his kickable penalties England would have won 21-16.

To be serious contenders for the RBS 6 nations in February England must take these lessons
and hit the ground running against Scotland. For England to go back to playing "bits and
pieces" rugby is not good enough. 82,000 people will go to their graves knowing they were
at Twickenham in December 2012 when England beat New Zealand in such style. Perhaps
the modern day players should put their twitter accounts and egos's aside and remember
that they are there to win rugby matches, not make up excuses for poor displays of rugby.
To be in the England coaching team now. If Stuart Lancaster had selection headaches
before the Fiji game, now he must be close to migraines.

If ever there was an example of someone taking their chance that sentiment goes to Tom
Youngs. The Leicester hooker showed his steady delivering hand at the lineout and his sheet
bulldog carrying ability this Autumn and should be rightly proud of his opening 4 England
caps. With Dylan Hartley due to return, England finally have 2 animals competing for the
2 jersey. If you had not heard of Joe Launchberry before the Autumn internationals you
certainly have now. The young Wasps lock was simply outstanding and his dynamic displays
were very impressive and pleasing for England's future. With Courtney Lawes returning
from injury the lock positions are freight with competition after good displays from Parling
and Palmer and not forgetting Saracens Botha. Tom Wood returned from a long term injury
and reminded the English public of his quality and form he showed in the 2011 6 Nations.
At 8, Ben Morgan returned to the England line up with 2 big displays, although similar to
Thomas Waldroum, he clearly offers a little bit more and found a good balance with Wood
and captain Robshaw. James Haskell made sounds contributions off the bench and with Tom
Croft hoping to return competition is high in the back row.

Young Owen Farrell shows composure that rivals that of a certain Jonny Wilkinson. Farrell
sat on the bench and watched England's poor displays against Australia and South Africa and
conducted the show well against NZ. He took his chance well, and shows a much more level
headed and leadership ability than his counterpart Toby Flood.
Mike Brown played outstandingly well out of position on the left wing, he worked hard and
found himself involved in play all over the park. Team mate Alex Goode brings balance
to the 15 shirt and acts as a good, alternate second receiver in attack. Here England can
develop and really ask questions of defences. Admittedly Ben Foden is a fantastic player,
who plays well with Chris Aston. It can be seen that the two fullbacks Foden and Brown will
compete for the 11 jersey, with England choosing to stay with Goode at 15.

The key to success in selection is balance, England have great choices ahead of them, but
must strive to find the best balance to succeed. Questions loom up over the lineout and Tom
Woods contribution to that set play cannot be downplayed.

Simply for England to achieve in the 6 nations they must do a number of things:

1. Turn up
2. Play together
3. Go forwards
4. Do the basics right
5. Build pressure
6. Score points

Is it any coincidence that England win rugby matches when Chris Ashton scores tries?

Jack Talbot
Follow me @JackTalbot10

Back to Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
A good and interesting read. Cracking to see a new blogger hit up TRF.

Good read , and a very good assessment of where England went right vs NZ.

To offer a piece of constructive criticism, I thought that was a good account of what happened (save a few things I'd disagree with), but short on actual lessons - the blogger posted a list of six things at the end, but no thoughts on examples, what they mean, and of course what should be done about them. I look forwards to seeing more from this guy, and hope that in future he's a bit more focused on such things and expands on his arguments more.

well yeah I mean those points at the end are kind of DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!...so simple and ahemm...*obvious*, but realistic.

"TO WIN...ENGLAND NEEDS TO SCORE POINTS !...AND HAVE A HIGHER SCORE AT THE END OF THE GAME THAN ITS OPPONENT !!..."
nah just kdg..

But I really, really, really MUST resent that last sentence in the article though...very tough to smile after reading that phrase...

well yeah I mean those points at the end are kind of DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!...so simple and ahemm...*obvious*, but realistic.

"TO WIN...ENGLAND NEEDS TO SCORE POINTS !...AND HAVE A HIGHER SCORE AT THE END OF THE GAME THAN ITS OPPONENT !!..."
nah just kdg..

But I really, really, really MUST resent that last sentence in the article though...very tough to smile after reading that phrase...

Mate, if it's so obvious why don't you write one then?

Good blog, enjoyed it.

Mate, if it's so obvious why don't you write one

(crowd in the background): OOOOOOOHH !
Oh no he didn't !

P.S.: AGAIN !! That last sentence in the article is just offensive...nay, it's beyond that...by the gods, it's disgusting !!

Last edited:
Well I got to agree with Feic, write one and PM it to me please.

Well I got to agree with Feic, write one and PM it to me please.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh !!!
It's a DOUBLE DARE now !!

I'm sorry, I simply cannot cope with that kind of pressure...plus I just quit smoking the other day, so...

Actually, if anybody would be interested in writing a blog, let us know! We are always glad to have these contributions and appreciate them greatly.

Actually, if anybody would be interested in writing a blog, let us know! We are always glad to have these contributions and appreciate them greatly.

I'm in the process of writing one as we speak bbz ;)

Latest posts