Can pirating games be justified sometimes?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Chat' started by sanzar, Jan 15, 2005.

?

Can pirating be Justified in special circumstances?

1. Yes, in cases like EA anything is justified

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's immoral regardless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sanzar

sanzar Guest

I just posted this rant in another thread on league unlimited and wondered how many people would agreed with me here:

I agree that pirating should be totally shunned and not accepted... except for special circumstances... special circumstances being EA spending buckets of money to gain exclusive rights over the NFL lisence simply because they couldn't deal with the fact that Madden was made to look ordinary but ESPN 2k5! Now I hate NFL with a passion, but even I would go out and purposely support the pirating of all future EA Madden titles simply because if EA feel justified in taking money and business away from another company simply because their product can no longer compete with others, then why should we as consumers feel inclined to pay for their product, when it was that company's cowardly action that stemmed the flow of competition to that particular genre???

Thoughts?

I stated in numerous other threads that I really have little respect for NFL, but NFL fans have a right to see some competition for their loyalty in the gaming market and EA's effective monopolising of the genre will likely see the games get slack...

Note: Just to be double clear for people who may misunderstand this: I don't support pirating, my point is that a massive company like EA buying exclusive lisence to a gaming genre like the NFL has an effect on other less finacially powerfull company's far more crippling than piracy...

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Here's something someone else posted from another website in regard to EA's treatment of there own employee's:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Sorry, but after reading this, not only do I now condone the pirating of EA games, I would suggest that no one ever buys their product legitimately ever again...

4. pip

pip Guest

Where I'm from there is something called the employment act, known commonly everywhere as the "Labour Law". You all know what that is, so I'm not going to expand on that.

I am not allowed to work more than 45 hours a week (9 per day) without going into overtime. Overtime is paid at 1.5 my salary rate and if it's not specified in my contract that I have to work weekends/public holidays, any time worked during them is considered overtime. This is pretty much standard and cannot be changed.. Any job where a contract has been signed is bound by these basic rules.

If that happened to me I would have a field day with them at the commission of arbitration and I would walk out of there with quite a little nest egg.

Employers only try what their workers will let them get away with. So my sympathy for that person is rather limited.

5. sanzar

sanzar Guest

They may make them enter a enterprize bargening agreement... in which case they could do whatever they want...
    You also have to remember that the gaming industry is still a comparitively new one and that organised labour has been all but snuffed out in places like the US...

6. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Weve been through this before...

EA Won the Rights in a bidding process, meaning the NFL put up the rights to the Highest Bidder, meaning that EA werent the only one who went after the exclusive deal, no doubt ESPN too also put a bid in...

7. sanzar

sanzar Guest

I wasn't aware of that, however that only means that the NFL has equally as much to answer for... exclusivity will not help the genre in any way shape or form...

8. I'm a programmer that can relate to the EA-thing, this overwork they are talking about is not just getting tired, they are talking about huge physical pain. After doing one of these crunches, alot of my mucles tied up and made knots in my back and at the top of my neck where your head connects, the back mucles nerve pains extended and makes knots in your shoulders, then it extends to your chest between your ribs, eventially knots finds it's way to your lower ribs. All in all you find yourself at a stage where sitting in a chair for a few minutes makes you get beating pains in your chest, you get shortness of breath, and headaches from neckpains. These doen'st just go away, remember that you still have to work and that holidays are just to short to recover. When I first started with these pains, I once got a heart-attack scare, thus pain in the chest, irregular heartbeat, pain going threw the shoulder and extending threw my right arm, I ended up passed out because my blood circulation was messed. At the hospital I was hooked up to get an ECG-scan, and it was normal, the doctor checked me and told me that it was a panick-attack because of the over-work, blood circulation being cut-off because of the knots, my body saying enough is enough. So I was fine. The disturbing part is that he said that it was very common, alot of people goes threw it everyday. 1 and a half years on and I'm still not fine, at the moment I'm almost at that point again, but luckily my job will have me standing and moving around more this year. I've done physiotherapy and tried to keep on the excersizes they give you, but it is more than a relief than a fixing of the problem. The only way to prevent it is to sit 100% in the right position and take breaks every half hour. When installing a Microsoft keyboard or mouse they have a point where they tell you a bit about RSI, they are not joking when they warn you, they even say that RSI counts for 80% of the reason why people quit their job in the US. All this is not a joke, I'm still young and don't want to live with this disscomfort.

All the people reading that ain't working yet, take this advice, keep away from a all-day desk job, money aint worth the discomfort you could go threw.

Bugger EA, their games are crap anyway, now we know why.

9. Serge

Serge Guest

Thou Shalt not steal

10. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Robin Hood stole... [​IMG]

Anyway this sort of thing is different... I have a mate who divides up the price of a game between 4 friends and they buy 1 official copy and burn 3 off for the others... This is technically not stealing as they all purchased the game legally, all they are doing is making back ups so they can all play it similatniously.

11. neh

neh Guest

"I wanna have sex on the beach"

12. ak47

ak47 Guest

money talks ripper

obviously EA have more $$ than Sega sports - Not ESPN, coz ESPN is just a name of a channel on the cover of a sega game.

Richard Branson has been in Somalia for a week and is getting very hungry

There a bidding auction for a lamb roast, for the whole community and highest bidder wins the food.

Richard Branson dips into his pocket and finds 3 euro which happens to me more than what all of the somalians have put together

Richard wins the food, but we know whom deserves it more!!!

The carriers of the food, should not be setting those types of conditions to win the food...................ie if u got $$$ u win, as oppposed to if u got brains, if u deserve it more, etc etc.

sure EA won it, coz they paid more for it............but does that mean they trul deserve it more............well apparantly not, based on hard NFL enthusiasts.
    ESPN 2004 was better then Madden
    and apparantly ESPN 2005 beats Madden 2005 again.
    And how do u know the EA board didnt approach the NFL, and hint to sell the exclusive rights, in order for EA (a long time friend of NFL, and Madden, voice of NFL, to stay alive in the Madden franchise).
    EA may have said - we've scratched ur back, since 1990, its time to scratch our back, coz we are sinking and ESPN and drowning us.

13. ..::ERIC::..

..::ERIC::.. Guest

Its hard to say. I say no because basicly I don't have a dvd burner or mod-chipped Ps2. I spend like $100 every 3 or 4 months on a new game. However, I can't say I strongly disagree with it when I openly nrub music.

14. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Yes, EA were ******** themselves, ecspecially when they saw the figures where they sold more copies of Madden 2005 in the first week than NFL 2K5 did in the first month...

And maybe... Just maybe, NFL took advantage of an opportuinity to make a quick Billion Dollars...

15. ak47

ak47 Guest

it has more to do with market share

it is known ESPN has taken a chunk of market share from Madden

and when u have Maddens worldwide release and ESPN's domestic release (pending rest of the world), u cannot compare quantity of sales - of course a game that is available to the world will sell more, than a game only sold in the USA.
    ESPN has only very recently been available outside the USA.

It is also a very known fact ESPN users were ex-maddenites, which is evidence Madden is losing a chunk of market share

of course their sales increase, so does population
    market share % is down especially since ESPN's existence

16. -JJ-

-JJ- Guest

I'm still waiting for ESPN NFL 2K5! Should be released this Friday...

17. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Why the f*** are you defending them ripper??? Are you stupid or something? YOU DON'T WORK FOR EA!!! You won't see anything, ANYTHING, good come from this! Don't you understand that??? Don't you understand that having the ESPN series actually heightened competition and resulted in better games from both companies? If your a fan of NFL games then this should be devestating to you! As it effectively means EA can slack off in their next 5 installments, safe in the knowledge they have no competition!
    Do you get it yet?

18. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Not really, because the NFL have a say on what goes out and I highly doubt they are gonna let a piece of **** go out because no doubt they get a cut of whatever profit Madden makes. Besides, ESPN is no loss for me, NFL 2K5 was worse than 2K4.

As long as EA dont try to get an exclusive NBA and NHL Rights ill be happy... (NBA Live and The EA NHL Games are ****)

19. ak47

ak47 Guest

forget it ripper

there's only one sport left that EA dominate in - Golf, TW2005

#1NFL - ESPN
    #1 NBA - ESPN
    #1 NHL - ESPN
    YES ESPN DOMINATE US SPORTS, ALL VERSIONS ARE BETTER THAN EA EFFORTS, even the NCAA versions of these sports

#1SOCCER - PES
    #1RUGBY - WCR or JLR - EITHER WAY ITS THE SAME BLOKES
    #1 FORMULA 1 - SONYS FORMULA 1
    #1 GOLF - TW2005

AND SOON THEY WILL LOSE THE MONOPOLY IN CRICKET, MEANING THEY HAVE LOST THAT BATTLE TOO.

Slowly but surely EAsports is sinking to its competitors and u can bet ur bottom dollar they'll try every caniving trick in the corporate book, to stay afloat by officially liscensing every sport to themselves, meaning the better games will have fictional characteristics however supreme gameplay - in the end WE LOSE.

20. Ripper

Ripper Guest

EA Dominate NCAA Football, not sure about Basketball since I havent played March Maddness nor College Hoops

and Madden > ESPN 2K

21. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Whats the bet you wouldnt mind if ESPN got the rights... would you be carping on about how Evil Sega are and how they try to kill competition and what ever Marxist Lenin Babble you can think of...

CAPITALISM RULES!!

BTW you do know that ESPN & Madden are one and the same?

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!