• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can pirating games be justified sometimes?

Can pirating be Justified in special circumstances?

• Yes, in cases like EA anything is justified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's immoral regardless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ripper - Why are you defending EA so much? I understand you putting the facts right but you seem to like EA?!

Also, can you please show me where they said that the NFL rights were being auctioned off like you said?

Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 18 2005, 06:36 PM
Whats the bet you wouldnt mind if ESPN got the rights... would you be carping on about how Evil Sega are and how they try to kill competition and what ever Marxist Lenin Babble you can think of...

CAPITALISM RULES!!

BTW you do know that ESPN & Madden are one and the same?
Are you really as stupid as you sound ripper??? Or is it all an act?
Capitalism rules?Marxist Lenin babble? Are you really so utterly dense and moronic that you don't realise that Capitalism is the one that thrives competition and communism is where everything is state owned and singular?

As JJ said spastic, what is it that you "like" so much about EA??? Are you seeing any of their profits? Do you work for them? NO!!! And the fact that you are a kiwi and like rugby more than NFL should be more than enough reason for you to loath them!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Employees readying class-action lawsuit against EA

A lawyer representing the plaintiffs addresses a proposed class-action lawsuit seeking unpaid overtime from the world's biggest third-party publisher.
Yesterday, a blog entry from the spouse of a worker at Electronic Arts lashed out against the game giant. "The current mandatory hours are 9am to 10pm--seven days a week--with the occasional Saturday evening off for good behavior (at 6:30pm)," read the post, which went on to claim that EA employees receive no overtime, "comp" time, or additional vacation for their efforts.

The veracity of the claims in the online rant is difficult to confirm. However, GameSpot News decided to investigate the matter--and found that there might be some truth behind the blogger's anger.

Following a tip from an informed source, GameSpot contacted attorney Robert C. Schubert, a partner at the San Francisco law firm Schubert & Reed. He said that he has initiated legal proceedings to start a class-action lawsuit on behalf of a group of EA employees. "We are seeking unpaid overtime for a good number of [EA] employees who weren't [properly] paid," Schubert told GameSpot this afternoon. "EA contends they were exempt," Schubert said. "We contend otherwise."

To recover the money they feel is owed to them, said employees are trying to file a class-action lawsuit against EA seeking overtime pay. On July 29, the complaint Jamie Kirschenbaum vs. Electronic Arts, Inc. was filed in San Mateo Superior Court. Kirschenbaum is one of the members of The Sims 2 design team, although his current employment status at EA could not be clarified as of press time.

However, to initiate a class-action suit, a group must first be first certified as a "class" by the court. Schubert also said that until a class is certified by the court, he couldn't say how many individuals would seek to participate in the legal action. "We haven't been certified as a class yet," he said, admitting that certification "is a big battle."

And it looks like the lines for that battle are already being drawn. GameSpot was sent a copy of an e-mail purportedly sent to Electronic Arts employees over the summer, alerting them to the lawsuit. The e-mail went so far as to inform them that if they chose to participate in the lawsuit by joining the class, if it were to be certified, there would be no repercussions.

The e-mail, while not yet confirmed as authentic, frames the dispute between the proposed class and Electronic Arts as follows:

"On July 29, 2004, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA"). This communication responds to earlier e-mail communications from EA management regarding the litigation. The lawsuit alleges that EA improperly classified some of its employees, including 'animators,' 'modelers,' 'texture artists,' 'lighters,' 'background effects artists,' and 'environmental artists' as exempt from overtime, and therefore failed to pay those employees overtime compensation. Plaintiff's action seeks statutory penalties, damages, restitution, and injunctive relief.

"EA denies plaintiff's claim. It is EA's position that it treats its employees fairly and lawfully, and that it has properly classified its employees within the meaning of the law. The plaintiff is seeking to bring this lawsuit on behalf of himself and to represent a proposed class of current and former EA employees as a class action. The court has not yet certified this case as a class action.

"If the case is certified, members of the class will be notified as directed by the court, and may be given the opportunity to be excluded from the class ('opting out'), or to hire their own lawyers to represent them.

"EA will not retaliate against employees for exercising legal rights, including by participating in the proposed class action."

According to Schubert, the most recent action taken by the court was the denial of a motion by EA that would have stopped the certification process in its tracks.

E-mails to Electronic Arts requesting comment had not been returned at press time.[/b]

Yeah your right ripper, what a great company EA are....

Originally posted by Ripper+Jan 18 2005, 06:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jan 18 2005, 06:36 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Jan 18 2005, 08:12 AM
Slowly but surely EAsports is sinking to its competitors and u can bet ur bottom dollar they'll try every caniving trick in the corporate book, to stay afloat by officially liscensing every sport to themselves, meaning the better games will have fictional characteristics however supreme gameplay - in the end WE LOSE.
Whats the bet you wouldnt mind if ESPN got the rights... would you be carping on about how Evil Sega are and how they try to kill competition and what ever Marxist Lenin Babble you can think of...

CAPITALISM RULES!!

BTW you do know that ESPN & Madden are one and the same? [/b]
doesnt matter to me now
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

Madden = ESPN

in 2006 we'll have the greatest NFL game of all time

All I wanted was ESPN's hype and presentation, NFL primetime and sportscentre with Maddens franchise!!!!

Now I get it in 2006

<
<
<
<
<

do we know if this new EA and ESPN deal involves all sports or just NFL.

I think it might.

The agreement announced today is for fifteen years "with an option to terminate after ten years under certain conditions," the statement said. The agreement gives the publisher "exclusive first rights" to all ESPN content for simulation sports games.

Elaborating on that first right option, Gibeau said, "With regards to the first right of refusal, all it means is that if ESPN has a program that we're not interested in making a video game about, they have the opportunity to be able to go and figure out how to produce it, without our participation." However, Gibeau added, "The likelihood of that occurring is very low."[/b]

It says they could Terminate after a Decade under certain conditions... wonder what those would be? They probably have a quota about how many games use all the ESPN stuff and a minimum level of content each game has to have e.t.c

i dont know why everyone is going after ripper for supporting EA.
Madden is a brilliant game, some people prefer Madden and some people prefer ESPN (personally i prefer ESPN). yes, what EA did was un-ethical but theres no evidence that they broke any laws in doing it. hell, i actually like the Fifa series more than the PES series.

my quiestion to sanzar and alot of the others on here haveing a go at Ripper is... are you using Microsoft Internet Explorer to browse? if so than i dont think you can complain too much about EA's boardroom antics.

Originally posted by JJ-@Jan 18 2005, 07:17 PM
Also, can you please show me where they said that the NFL rights were being auctioned off like you said?
A source close to the negotiations said it was at a spring 2004 off-site meeting attended by top NFL officials that the league determined it would take the league license exclusive. GameSpot was told the league put the license up for bid and that EA was among as many as five software publishers competing for it. An EA spokesperson said today, "Obviously, exclusives are more expensive. We are most certainly paying a premium."[/b]

Link

4th Paragraph down

Originally posted by shiznit@Jan 21 2005, 11:02 AM
i dont know why everyone is going after ripper for supporting EA.
Madden is a brilliant game, some people prefer Madden and some people prefer ESPN (personally i prefer ESPN). yes, what EA did was un-ethical but theres no evidence that they broke any laws in doing it. hell, i actually like the Fifa series more than the PES series.

my quiestion to sanzar and alot of the others on here haveing a go at Ripper is... are you using Microsoft Internet Explorer to browse? if so than i dont think you can complain too much about EA's boardroom antics.
You have a point with the whole microsoft thing, but microsfts monopolising of the market has given people little choice... Personally though, my next system will be lynx based.

Lol, Linux is worse than Mac, Buggy as hell and even less 3rd Party Support than Apple

Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 21 2005, 08:38 PM
Lol, Linux is worse than Mac, Buggy as hell and even less 3rd Party Support than Apple
Linux is only bad if you don't know how to operate and edit it... If you do, it can be far more stable than windows is.

Sure EA is stamping out the market but thats what business is all about (dominating the competition)

EA with the exception of Rugby and cricket has made some very good sports games. I love the NHL and NFL series and I also like the FIFA series. I don't think production quality will dwindle anytime soon.

If people are so upset with EA and its work practices just don't go work for them its as simple as that. Or form a Union
<

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 22 2005, 01:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 22 2005, 01:22 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jan 21 2005, 08:38 PM
Linux is only bad if you don't know how to operate and edit it... If you do, it can be far more stable than windows is. [/b]
it can be? it should read that it WILL be. Wait untill you start working with servers and the like...windows just ain't good enough
You guys prob just play games, so, stick to XP.

Going back to the ***le of this thread ... the answer has to be absolutely not.

Pirating games is illegal.

If you disagree with what EA are doing ... just don't buy their games.

If you disagreed with the business activities of a supermarket eg. they bought up most of the bananas in your country - would that give you the right to walk in their store and steal them. Of course not.

Just don't eat bananas anymore.
<

My 2 pence worth.

I'd have to agree with trev on the whole pirating thing.

But in terms of Linux, I have both Win XP (for games and and other hassles) and Linux (our server, internet etc. etc.)

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish@Jan 25 2005, 02:16 AM
Pirating games is illegal.
This is true, but so are EA's work practices... I know that 2 wrongs don't make a right, but f*** it! I'd rather just rip them off to be honest!

So the main argument in this thread for piracy is that it is ok because EA works it's people into the ground.

Wouldn't more piracy result in less profit; which would inturn result in the need to cut costs and hence work people to the ground??

Alternatvely it means charging more money for the same product.

Which is better?

Originally posted by subsbligh@Feb 2 2005, 12:40 AM
So the main argument in this thread for piracy is that it is ok because EA works it's people into the ground.

Wouldn't more piracy result in less profit; which would inturn result in the need to cut costs and hence work people to the ground??

Alternatvely it means charging more money for the same product.

Which is better?
YEA BUT UR MISSING BIG POINT

The gaming industry is the fastest growing in the world currently.

Their profits are massive, and too big.

apart from their normal salary, they arent reaping any rightful benefits that the boardroom does....employees rightfully deserve awards or bonus etc etc.

at one end u got an avg income of 2,000,000 per annum (plus fringe benefits) and at the other end u got avg income of 40,000 (and 80+hr weeks)........theres no balance.

And this is not too mention, they are breaking the law as an employer anyway.

Pirating in the gaming industry will only dent the inevitable success the industry is in for............it will never sink it, it will never kill it................the profits are that big and the demand is that high, pirating may actually bring in the new markets of the 3rd world countrys that cant afford $100 games.....which in effect increases the demand.

The fact is pirating does exist and always will........and the industry still strives like no other.

Latest posts