• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh

I didn't see the game but it's an outstanding result for Edinburgh. Andy Robinson has done a terrific job getting them to this stage. 2nd place in the league is well deserved. Hopefully crowds will come out in bigger numbers from now on because the team is certainly good enough to compete with the best.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 17 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aye, but we've got a good record down at the Arms park.

Plus, 14-10 now. Penalty try and yellow card, deliberate knock on on the line. Game on now lads!

TRY CAIRNS.

Paterson misses the extras, fair bit of booing going on there though for the kick. Surely that's not befitting of the last game at arms park?[/b]

reason they were booing was the very dodgy turnover that led to the try. Geoff Cross (or the other prop) was nowhere near the back foot or the 'gate' when he kicked that ball. There's no excuse to why the Blues fell apart in the second half, but the referee let Edinburgh get away with murder. I mean there was that incident I mentioned, there was before De Luca's interception when the ball got kicked away by a Scottish boot (despite no Edinburgh player being on their feet in the ruck) before Allinson could get it away, which led to the pressurised pass straight to De Luca. The worst one was when Warburton made a break, then an Edinburgh player took out on of the Blues' supporting players...and then the ref penalised Warburton for handling on the floor. I don't mean to sound like I think the referee lost us the game, because Blues were shite in the second half, but seriously it gives a really bad image of the league if the referee's miss howlers like that. It's happened plenty of times too all teams in the league, especially with the likes of Peter Fitzgibbon and James Jones, who're both poor refs imo.
Fair play to Edinburgh, they played some nice rugby for the most part. Just frustrates the crap that we fall apart on such a momentous and historic occaision. To be fair to them though, they were missing 11 first teamers in Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams, Paul ***o, Andy Powell, Martyn Williams, Xavier Rush, Jason Spice (though he's crap), Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Tom James and Leigh Halfpenny, because of injury/being rested. All of them key players in the side, and we seem t struggle sometimes when one or two gets injured (just look at how the line out fell apart without ***o vs Leicester), let alone 5 being rested because of Lions duty, 4 being injured and another 2 being rested.

Oh aye, I thought the referee was letting us away with alot but we never seem to get those breaks, so i'll take them when they come! I did think that one of our tries, Cairns first one, shouldn't have been given cause there was a strong suspicsion of a forward pass. But, makes a pleasant change for Edinburgh to be on the positive end of a crap ref! Don't think though, that it had any impact on the outcome of the game, certainly not based on a second half performance like that from Edinburgh. Was quite an enjoyable game, but was little saddened to see a 'weakened' team from the blues. I thought the occaision would've warranted a full team. I don't think Edinburgh and Cardiff have played each other with full XVs for a couple seasons now...

Yeah that's true, I mean the Blues (Nugget in paticular) got away with a fair bit against Toulouse so I guess I can't complain too much :p I've never seen Edinburgh as a dirty team, and I have to say I;m really impressed by them (and Glasgow too) over the last 2 seasons, so hats off to you.
and yeah, it's really disapointing when teams can't lay full strength XV's these days, I can understand with the Lions tour and all, but it would have been nice to go off with a bang from the Arms Park. They played a weak team in Edinburgh too I think. A few seasons ago I remember an injury ravaged Edinburgh getting thrashed at the Arms Park, so I guess you could say this is revenge ;)
Though I really do think the standard of reffing in the Magners is very poor, bar a couple of (for the most part ) superb international refs (the likes of Nigel Owens and Alain Rolland). Am just hoping it will start to improve sometime soon.

I wouldn't hold your breath about the standard of referees increasing. I just don't get the feeling that the refs are held all that culpable to their actions.

To be honest the standard can only be accountable from the home nations.

The Nigel Owens is the only decent Welsh ref, I like Tim Hayes, hes up and coming. Bar that there is really no one that is coming through the ranks. Its probably down to the standard of education they are given.

Well, I'm certainly fed up with the inability to referee scrums. It doesn't help that none of these refs were front row in their playing days, but there seems to be an awful lot of giving a free kick/penalty for the sake of it when a scrum goes down.

it's worse when they give it the wrong way
the other day I saw a match (Dragons v Leinster I think) and one prop pretty blatantly turned in (so nowhere near binding properly, and the ref gave the penalty to the other team. Line'smen (or should I say ';assistant referee's') need to styep in more often with these calls, because most are just plain wrong.

Latest posts