• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter "absolutely" in doubt for rest of the world cup!!!

Is Carter a huge loss? Yes
Is the AB's world cup over because he is out injured? NO!

It doesn't surprise me that there is a general state of panic in NZ now that Carter has been ruled out, but I still think the AB's deserve to be favourites. Kaino, McCaw and Read didn't stop being the best loose-forward trio in the world now that Carter is ruled out, while Nonu and Smith didn't stop being the best midfield combo. Colin Slade is obviously the man to fill Carter's boots for the simple reason that his style of play is very similar to Carters, hence they don't have to change their style of play at all. Slade is looking better the more he is playing - as long as he realizes that he doesn't need to be a star, but simply a cog in the machine, I think the AB's will function fine with Slade at 10. It will be interesting to see if the AB's rush Aaron Cruden into the 22 to play Argentina, as he could be a real asset on the bench, as he is very capable of exploiting tired defenses.

Much of the reason why Nonu is so good at international level is that Carter does all his thinking for him. Carter puts him into the right space and lets him do his thing. Whenever Carter is MIA, Nonu is no where near as effective. I heard this point brought up on the radio yesterday and I have to say that I agree with it.

The another thing that I heard (and what annoys the heck out of me) is people putting the argument foward that the All Blacks are fine because Carter just one man. He's not just another man, he's the most vital player in what is arguably the most vital position on the field. With him gone, the effectivness of the other 5 players outside him comprimised.

Haha what?! Slade and Cruden are better 10's than any on that list (apart from Evans)

I would feel better if we had options, and didn't have to keep throwing our youngest players right into the fire. Imagine if we had this depth to our super sides:

Blues: Arlidge, Pisi, Anscombe, Nacewa and Ai'i covering
Chiefs: Hill, Donald, Delaney, Nanai-Williams covering
Hurricanes: Gopperth, Cruden, Barrett, Weepu covering
Highlanders: Evans, Slade, Eade, Berquist
Crusaders: Carter, Brett, Bleyendaal, Fotuali'i covering

Maybe then the younger players would develop instead of imploding.

Much of the reason why Nonu is so good at international level is that Carter does all his thinking for him. Carter puts him into the right space and lets him do his thing. Whenever Carter is MIA, Nonu is no where near as effective. I heard this point brought up on the radio yesterday and I have to say that I agree with it.

The another thing that I heard (and what annoys the heck out of me) is people putting the argument foward that the All Blacks are fine because Carter just one man. He's not just another man, he's the most vital player in what is arguably the most vital position on the field. With him gone, the effectivness of the other 5 players outside him comprimised.

While there is no doubt that the effectiveness of the rest of the backline will be lessened with Carter gone, the backline suddenly won't suddenly become impotent (you are clearly not suggesting this, but I've heard many people imply this). Colin Slade actually has a similar style of play as Carter does - he is just not in Carters league. He doesn't need to to put Nonu into a gap everytime he gets the ball - Nonu often is at his best when he has space to move. I'm more worried about Slade ability to drive the team around the park - he does this well on occasions but struggles at other times, his ability to cope with pressure, and (perhaps most importantly) the fact he is not a proven international goal-kicker (in fact he's not really a proven goal-kicker at any level). In saying all that, I'd (just) prefer to have him start ahead of Weepu (and Cruden).

Last edited:
...the fact he is not a proven international goal-kicker (in fact he's not really a proven goal-kicker at any level). In saying all that, I'd (just) prefer to have him start ahead of Weepu (and Cruden).

Another argument for Weepu to be on the field whether at half back or first-five?
I don't know any other quality kickers, maybe there are some that i'm not thinking of. Can Sonny Bill do that as well ;)

While there is no doubt that the effectiveness of the rest of the backline will be lessened with Carter gone, the backline suddenly won't suddenly become impotent (you are clearly not suggesting this, but I've heard many people imply this). Colin Slade actually has a similar style of play as Carter does - he is just not in Carter. He doesn't need to to put Nonu into a gap everytime he gets the ball - Nonu often is at his best when he has space to move. I'm more worried about Slade ability to drive the team around the park - he does this well on occasions but struggles at other times, his ability to cope with pressure, and (perhaps most importantly) the fact he is not a proven international goal-kicker (in fact he's not really a proven goal-kicker at any level).

I wasn't implying that. I said that the effectivness of the backline will be comprimised. Not all of its effectivness mind you, perhaps I used the wrong choice in words, I should have said: somewhat comprimised. Regardless, it is no doubt a fact. Carter was the axle of the side and although we might replace that axle with something similar, the wheels will not turn anywhere near as well.

Your point about Nonu playing well in space is a good one. At the end of the day, the amount of space he gets to work with will come down to how much Slade can create. I worry about Nonu because he is the most potent attacker but he doesn't have the mental set to control the game when the first five is under pressure (I only think back to last year's test against Australia where Carter was absent)
All a team like the Springboks need to do is rush Slade all night and I think we'll be dead and buried. It was always the one worry I had about Nonu in that he would never be able to play the backup first five role.

I would feel better if we had options, and didn't have to keep throwing our youngest players right into the fire. Imagine if we had this depth to our super sides:

Blues: Arlidge, Pisi, Anscombe, Nacewa and Ai'i covering
Chiefs: Hill, Donald, Delaney, Nanai-Williams covering
Hurricanes: Gopperth, Cruden, Barrett, Weepu covering
Highlanders: Evans, Slade, Eade, Berquist
Crusaders: Carter, Brett, Bleyendaal, Fotuali'i covering

Maybe then the younger players would develop instead of imploding.

You forgot Sopoaga.

Another argument for Weepu to be on the field whether at half back or first-five?
I don't know any other quality kickers, maybe there are some that i'm not thinking of. Can Sonny Bill do that as well ;)

Personally I'd like to see Weepu starting at 9 (and be the goal-kicker), but I don't think the selectors will go this way. I don't think they will be keen to rush Cruden into the 22, so Weepu will likely be the backup 10, and (rightly or wrongly) the AB's selectors don't believe their halfbacks are capable of playing more than 60 mins. Therefore Weepu won't be used to cover 10 (with the possibility of having to ply 80 mins) if he is the starting 9.

Israel Dagg is a capable goal-kicker - if he wasn't suffering from persistent leg injuries, and had actually been goal-kicking at provincial level over the last year he would have been a good option!

If the All Blacks can't perform in the absence of one player, whatever his name is and his role in the pitch, they just don't deserve to be world champions. As simple as that.

If the All Blacks can't perform in the absence of one player, whatever his name is and his role in the pitch, they just don't deserve to be world champions. As simple as that.

...well...unless they win the quarter final, semi final and, of course, the final.
I mean, they may not perform well in all these games, but if they still win them, then they're surely deserved champions, no?

Like I said before, kiwis shouldnt dwell on losing DC. When DC was announced unavailable, a lot of kiwis on here were like 'oh we've lost the world cup', shouldnt do that.

You can either dwell in a sorrow well or be positive and support someone who is trying. Colin Slade is not my favourite 1st five but he's good and he just needs support and confidence. Natural confidence not trying to look confident. My bet is Slade will come good.

JW is far too busy on TRF to be completely focussed on playing against France ;)

Like I said before, kiwis shouldnt dwell on losing DC. When DC was announced unavailable, a lot of kiwis on here were like 'oh we've lost the world cup', shouldnt do that.

You can either dwell in a sorrow well or be positive and support someone who is trying. Colin Slade is not my favourite 1st five but he's good and he just needs support and confidence. Natural confidence not trying to look confident. My bet is Slade will come good.

Absolutely, New Zealand isn't out of it yet ... there are still plenty of great players with lots of experience in the AB's line up, and they just need to step up and fill the void.

... It's not like the other nations aren't weakened as well, having lost their best players to injuries.

I still think they can do it, so i'm keeping the faith

I'm not as worried as some people in here seem to be.

I'd expect Henry to do what he did against Canada ie. start Slade at 10 and then bring Wepu in in the last 20 mins or so if the All Blacks need more points on the board. Slade has Carters ability to control the game and is the best alternative in that sense but lacks Wepu's vision and ability to create try scoring opportunities. Cruden has a touch of both in him. He is a good creator but lacks the kicking game required in test rugby at this stage.

hear hear!!! you are 100% correct...

But I said from the word go way before the WC started that they... need to get Luke Mcalister in as Dan replacement as 1st five eight... they play a similar game.. he has a massive boot... he knows their style of play, his defence is good... he had a good S15 (most of the time :D) i know cuz i actually paid close attention to him as i thought GH was going to pick him...

You guys are pathetic, the media I mean, treating it like he's died or something. ''We must realise Carter's dream.'' What a load of ****.

Sounds like the All Blacks have rallied together to play the rest of this tournament for Carter. I think the media just always trys to over do it, Slade will come right and who knows he might even win us the RWC :)

Latest posts