• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup final Saracens vs Racing 92

Watched both ERC and Super rugby and no contest in terms of quality and entertainment. Super rugby wins hands down.

Still, would be good to have Sarries play the winner of the Super rugby competition to find out who are the World club Champions.

Last edited:
Meh, Sarries know how to win games.
They're equally as capable of running in 6 tries or winning 6-0.

Meh... being capable of writing a great song isn't any consolation when you're listening to turd...

I'm sure they're all drowning their sorrows, drinking from the Euro Champions Cup, about not getting over the white wash.

You play what's in front of you, and to the conditions. You think they'd play like this against London Welsh?
Sarries don't like to take unnecessary risks and frankly it works. It's not the most exciting at times but this isn't exhibition rugby, they're playing for the win and winning more often than not.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're point is, Olyy?

People pointing out when something which they watch for entertainment isn't very entertaining isn't really at all unreasonable.

Yeah, I suppose.
I just think people go a bit OTT with it - it's all in the sport and all part of the game. Is Sarries went out and threw the ball about like madmen everyone would slag them off and say they were stupid for not playing the conditions and playing "knock out rugby", but then when they do what they need to do to win the biggest competition in this part of the world they get **** for being too boring.
It's a lose lose situation if you come up against an equally strong side.

I'm not sure what you're point is, Olyy?

People pointing out when something which they watch for entertainment isn't very entertaining isn't really at all unreasonable.

Neutrals may watch it for entertainment but supporters of Racing or Saracens would have wanted a win, no matter how entertaining it was.

Neutrals may watch it for entertainment but supporters of Racing or Saracens would have wanted a win, no matter how entertaining it was.

This. Another example of this is Montpellier. I saw a lot of comments on news sites with people lambasting Montpellier for boring rugby, but Montpellier fans are happy.

Well... again... that's hardly surprising is it? Given that in literally any given game the supporters of the teams in said game will be a tiny minority of the viewership.

that wasnt a game to judge sarries rugby, they beat up a racing 92 team that was meant to be the best at that type of rugby, that says it all - that game was a better game than last years final for me, anyone disagree?

like it or not defences win games, Sarries were brutal in their appoach and bullied Racing into submission, as far as entertainment goes this is todays Pro rugby!!! you win and if you don't win you LOSE, in 2/3 years will anyone remenber who lost (Racing) but everone will remember Sarries winning, normal, if you want entertainment go and watch a show in London Paris or elsewhere. It would not bother me if we won all our games at Montpellier 3-0 "Winning is not important as long as you Win," never seen boxers making sure there performances were beautiful and entertaining, more affflict pain and win!!!!!!. I can understand where the novice looks for entertainment and the rest, but purists never, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This. Another example of this is Montpellier. I saw a lot of comments on news sites with people lambasting Montpellier for boring rugby, but Montpellier fans are happy.

They can lambast to their hearts content i could not give a flying F***. We are Euro Challenge Champions and like Sarries are happy bunnies. Lets hope it does not stop there, we are now qualified for Euro Champs next season although we are moroeless already. Now Concentration on the TOP 14, still lots of work there with home games v Bordeaux , Toulon and the last game away to Racing.

I'm sure they're all drowning their sorrows, drinking from the Euro Champions Cup, about not getting over the white wash.

You play what's in front of you, and to the conditions. You think they'd play like this against London Welsh?
Sarries don't like to take unnecessary risks and frankly it works. It's not the most exciting at times but this isn't exhibition rugby, they're playing for the win and winning more often than not.

This !

Bath tried to play running rugby this year and look where it got them . It's pretty simple today there was 2 teams with great defences and no one scored a try . I actually thought it was quite a good game tbh

I actually thought it was quite a good game tbh

There were some impressive technical/tactical feats, no doubt.

But this whole thing (particularly evident among a certain subset of journo's) whereby people try really hard to show how great their rugby mind is, that they can enjoy games that no-one else does is really irritating.

There is a very big difference between enjoying something, and finding it interesting/impressive.

There is nothing wrong with finding a game like that impressive or interesting or compelling or tactically fascinating., and NO-ONE HERE is saying that there is anything wrong with that.

There is also nothing wrong with finding a game like that unattractive, tedious and boring, but apparently, those of us that did are not allowed to think that because blah, blah, blah. I got neg repped by one of the small number of wänkers here for saying what I thought about it.

Now, I got up at 3:30 am to watch this match (not on TV here so again, I had to find a Live Stream on the interwebz), but by half time, it became apparent that this was going to be little more than a goal-kicking contest. I held out until a few minutes into the second half but started to drift off to sleep. I'm sorry if that offends people, but tough.

There were some impressive technical/tactical feats, no doubt.

But this whole thing (particularly evident among a certain subset of journo's) whereby people try really hard to show how great their rugby mind is, that they can enjoy games that no-one else does is really irritating.

There is a very big difference between enjoying something, and finding it interesting/impressive.
This exactly, Sarries defence was obviously impressive as was there kicking game but apart from a couple flashes of brilliance from Dulin there wasn't anything in this game that I could point at and say that's why I love rugby.

Due to this I started noticing a lot of refereeing mistakes that I'd usually let slide and, despite them deserving to win the game, Sarries getting 6 points through bad refereeing calls left me completely unsatisfied with the match.

Important games of rugby are so rarely entertaining these days though.

Completely escaped my mind this was on yesterday, but then again when you're hoping both teams lose you probably didn't miss much.

Well what can you say. Everything bad about European rugby summed up in one match.

All too often, finals are dreary matches, and this one was no exception. A slug-fest between two packs of forwards, marred by some glaring referee mistakes which could and should have meant a closer match.
However, fair play to Sarries for being the better sluggers.
Maybe the Premiership final will be entertaining as Wasps or Exeter will be playing - but don't hold your breath.

I found the game very interesting overall and impressive in certain players performances.

I also found impressive the effort put in by both sides to try and play in those very adverse weather conditions and the gladiatorial combat was not only interesting, but entertaining too. Like a game of chess.

As Binny said, it was an arm-wrestle by two very good sides.

yep, a bit like the all blacks vs south africa in the world cup in bad weather, play for teritory in a tight game against strong opposition and dominate the game, good tactics imo, even the best teams do it :)

you must agree smartcooky

Dunno, that All Blacks vs Springboks game was fairly clearly another level compared to yesterday (as it should be considering that was a World Cup semi final at the top of the world cup).

I found the game very interesting overall and impressive in certain players performances.

I also found impressive the effort put in by both sides to try and play in those very adverse weather conditions and the gladiatorial combat was not only interesting, but entertaining too. Like a game of chess.

As Binny said, it was an arm-wrestle by two very good sides.

What d'you mean exactly by try and play? Seemed to me like they stopped trying to play anything more than super safe 10 man rugby once the deluge started, which is sensible enough considering it was 3 all or so when the deluge started. I mean either way, they obviously weren't gonna set up shop and walk off because of the rain, but would be stretch to say they were trying to play anything more than super safe, predictable rugby.

What baffles me is why Racing tightened up that much when they were chasing the game by at least 6-9 points. They'd send one or two runners up at the defensive line, get smashed back and eventually get turned over by a rampant Itoje and co. You could throw a blanket over their attacking line, and it made it easy for Sarries to hold out without too much issues. Only times they looked dangerous was when they strung an offload or two together.

Last edited:

Latest posts