• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 4, Round 4 (Bath, Glasgow, Montpellier, Toulouse)

I know about the Souths thing... I don't think that's really necessary anyway, I couldn't see him going anywhere else if he went back to RL.

I've never heard of a release clause - I'm fairly sure the guy you heard that from is talking out of his arse.
Not that it's that farfetched, but it's certainly not something that's known about by anyone outside of Bath/Burgess' immediate circle.

Last edited:
Hell hath no fury like a League man going to Union. Don't know what you people expect. It was his first full game yet Burgess just gets dissed by most. His choke tackling was great, which resulted in turnovers and he got around the field. Nothing much in attack, but I anticipate there's more to come. Give the guy a chance or should he have scored 10 tries and 100 tackles.

I think people are just judging him as a rugby player.

It doesn't matter about levels of experience, he's player out there starting at 12 in the top level European rugby competition, and his performances will be judged on that.
No one is judging him harshly because he came from League - unlike League, there is very very little negativity towards the other code from Union fans.

If the main excuse given up is "Well he's really new, he's obviously not going to be at that standard yet" then he shouldn't be playing at that standard yet, simple as. If Bath hadn't played him in Europe nobody would've batted an eyelid, as it was expected that he'd be playing 'A' League and LV= cup at first.
But then Bruce Craig paid a ridiculous amount for him, so he's going to want him out there - like GN10 has said, nobody has any issues with Burgess at all, it's more with the Bath coaching staff who have rushed him into starting, at a position that they don't see him playing, and that he doesn't see himself playing.

He's playing about as well as I expected, to be honest. Defences are terrified of him, so they man mark him with 2 or 3 players everytime the ball comes near him, which creates a lot of space elsewhere. To be honest, if they wanted him in the centres, I think they should've brought him through as a 13 (a Manu type player), as Bath really missed Eastmond, and a Ford/Eastmond combo would be able to exploit the gaps that Sam's presence creates.

Last edited:
Wanted Glasgow to win prior to the match, but the crowd are acting like football fans. Come on Toulouse!

I hope to god Glasgow do them. Neither team are actually playing any rugby yet. I really like how Barnes is communicating with all the players today though. He's doing a good job.
EDIT: Great choice of music in the stadium....

Last edited:
Been a pretty poor game so far. Booing Barnes into the tunnel was completely unjustified. (maybe they were booing the quality of the rugby too)

Bath need Glasgow to win so ill root for them.

Lets make no mistake though the fans are fecking annoying.

Toulouse definitely showing more attacking ability in this one. As usual, they're the odd pass shy from making the break...hopefully this opens up a little for them in the 2nd. Glasgow struggling to put anything real together, and not as dominant on the ground as last week. Good signs for Toulouse.
Young Bézy showing quality yet again, this guy is one for the near future, and just turned 23.

Wanted Glasgow to win prior to the match, but the crowd are acting like football fans.

It is Glasgow!!

Anyways, the rugby is pretty dire from both sides although would not have expected ST to do any more than they are being the away team...as Will G says, "turn up, park your tanks on the try line and nick a few penalties, get on the bus and go home"!!

Barnes has had a good game............at least something is being done right!!!

Cannot understand why Hastings says to "...keep the same team for 20 minutes and if not getting any better make changes then"......they should do it now!!

The PA is doing my head in....................!!

Tekori= most underrated lock in the world ? Most probably, no doubt on my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Hogg, by far Glasgow's best player. Only dude actually good.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, worst crowd ever ?! :p

Tekori= most underrated lock in the world ? Most probably, no doubt on my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Hogg, by far Glasgow's best player. Only dude actually good.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, worst crowd ever ?! :p

The French are just as petulant ;-)

This game has been utter trash, hopefully Toulon Tigers make up for it in a bit =/

....we don't have our entire 80k Stade de France sing over 20 dudes performing a haka ;-)

...and why not? Nothing wrong with that...it is supposed to be a challenge and should be treated as such. But this is not the thread for that!

ST deserved the win but why did Townsend not start with that winger...Materwera? He is something else and would have made a difference had he been on the whole game....