• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 4, Round 5 (Bath, Glasgow, Montpellier, Toulouse)

I'm just joshing man. You can't be angry at any openside in the world for taking that risk, and if it had come off for Glasgow the other way then I wouldn't be complaining. I thought we would get tanked today with that front and back row but the back row were tremendous. Less said about the front row the better...

Munster might disagree with that!

I'm just joshing man. You can't be angry at any openside in the world for taking that risk, and if it had come off for Glasgow the other way then I wouldn't be complaining. I thought we would get tanked today with that front and back row but the back row were tremendous. Less said about the front row the better...

Yeah I know, just saying I wouldn't blame any Glasgow fan for feeling hard done by.

I gather you had injury problems in the back row and I thought we'd dominate that area but second string or not yours were immense. Fraser Brown was brilliant, MOTM for me. Call me biased, but any 7 who comes up against Louw and wins the head to head deserves serious credit. Thanks god for the scrummage and the lineout after Webber went off ... you had is everywhere else.

Yeah I know, just saying I wouldn't blame any Glasgow fan for feeling hard done by.

I gather you had injury problems in the back row and I thought we'd dominate that area but second string or not yours were immense. Fraser Brown was brilliant, MOTM for me. Call me biased, but any 7 who comes up against Louw and wins the head to head deserves serious credit. Thanks god for the scrummage and the lineout after Webber went off ... you had is everywhere else.

Yeah I have to say I'm very surprised at Brown. I've been a bit mystified at his inclusion in Scotland squads as he rarely gets game time for Glasgow, mainly playing in the semi-pro league (I believe with Heriots). But on that performance I'm more than happy. And the fact that his primary position is hooker makes it all the more impressive.

I swear the Bath subs are better than the starters in a few areas. I'd certainly take Auterac and Batty as starters over James and Webber, although I think Wilson beats Thomas. Attwood needed to start and I think Stringer is better than Cook.

Might it be that Eastmond being off is what causes Bath to collapse? He went off early against Leicester and we got bummed. Went off early today and we struggled, wasn't there against Exeter and we lost, wasn't there in the first game against Toulouse and we lost, went off early against Glasgow last time and we lost. That seems like too much of a pattern to ignore... He has had to leave early or not played in all but 1 of our defeats.

Auterac has been excellent this season.
Normally when a prop is a fit/athletic as him they cant translate it into scrum power but he's been very good there, especially considering his age.

Don't understand all the praise for Batty this season, though. He's looked like your average prem standard hooker. Maybe it's just in comparison to previous years as he used to be absolutely muck.

That's a good point, maybe playing without him puts too much pressure on Ford to do all the playmaking? Ford usually controls the narrow stuff more and Eastmond distributes it wide when required, perhaps Ford's decision making suffers a bit without that familiarity - another feature of these defeats, I think, is Ford being too keen to go wide before sucking in defenders close to the breakdown.

Agree about the front row. Auterac-Batty-Wilson is our best three on form at the moment, although Ford obviously sees them as two distinct units. It's odd though, with James moving you'd think he'd want to give Auterac game time in the "first-choice" front row even if he wasn't playing better, which he is.

Auterac has been excellent this season.
Normally when a prop is a fit/athletic as him they cant translate it into scrum power but he's been very good there, especially considering his age.

Don't understand all the praise for Batty this season, though. He's looked like your average prem standard hooker. Maybe it's just in comparison to previous years as he used to be absolutely muck.

He's part of a scrum that is nearly always on top, his throwing is the better of our two hookers (although nothing to write home about) and in the loose he's been carrying, tackling and hitting rucks powerfully.

Also he looks like a Viking. As a Sale fan you must understand that

He does look a lot like Tormund Giantsbane, from Game of Thrones. I'll give him that.

Beardy wildling leader

Edit: ...and yeah, Auterac has been awesome, should be first choice for sure.

tormund-giantsbane-5.jpg

I'm surprised that people are surprised Bath don't play as well when Eastmond comes off?
Underestimating him badly if you are surprised by it - he's bloody fantastic.

All I can say is thank you very very very much Montpellier for beating Toulouse and giving Bath a quarter final place.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear the Bath subs are better than the starters in a few areas. I'd certainly take Auterac and Batty as starters over James and Webber, although I think Wilson beats Thomas. Attwood needed to start and I think Stringer is better than Cook.

Might it be that Eastmond being off is what causes Bath to collapse? He went off early against Leicester and we got bummed. Went off early today and we struggled, wasn't there against Exeter and we lost, wasn't there in the first game against Toulouse and we lost, went off early against Glasgow last time and we lost. That seems like too much of a pattern to ignore... He has had to leave early or not played in all but 1 of our defeats.

I think it's more likely Fords terrible tactical awarness did it...

You're struggling to get over the gain line so when the lightest man in your backline leaves the pitch injured he doesn't bring on the one bench player who could run the length of the pitch with the glasgow midfield on his back, no, instead he leaves burgess on the bench till the last 15 minutes.

Man i love how bath play the game, but they seem incapable of moving from one game plan to the other.

Latest posts