• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup QF. 2 - Leinster Rugby v Wasps

The entire game I couldn't stop thinking about how Carbery needs to start for Ireland pretty much asap. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get selected for Japan, but I hope he retains his spot for autumn and beyond. He is such an exciting player.

I think we should all appreciate Tadhg Furlong for a minute. The guy stepped Cipriani out on the wing without getting a hand laid on him and threw a two man skip pass yesterday to get Isa out on an overlap, the man is a playmaking 12 in a props body.

With regards to Lancaster, I agree he isn't head coach material YET. He has shown has has a good eye for finding talent in young players, look at some of the best players in the current England squad, most were Lancaster selections. I think his main issues are a passive temperament and a lack of confidence. This led to other coaches having too much influence over him (Farrell) and a tendency for him and the team to bottle it in the big games. I'm not sure Lancaster would coach England any time soon again but I'd love to see him as head coach for the U20's, I think that would suit his skills perfectly.

From my reading of the situation there were issues in the squad with England that undermined them at the WC. Even still the Welsh game swung on a knife edge. I know its a results industry but its foolish to hang Lancaster solely on that evidence. Certainly he proved in his early years he was well up for the job.

Also, I suggest none of you are really that qualified to give an opinion on him and his qualities as a head coach anyway. You haven't even got a handle on his duties at Leinster. He is very involved in Leinsters attacking play for the record.

All i know is Leinster were ****e last year under Cullen and co. Lancaster joined the fray and no we're hard to beat and brilliant to watch. I'll take that evidence tbh.

I'm hoping he gets the Ireland job in 2019.

Lancaster is a very good coach, but his time with England suggested his man management wasn't at the same level. At international level it's more about managing egos and getting players to buy into your vision than telling them where to stand.

Mind you he wasn't helped by having a mirror image as his on field captain. Robshaw is a very fine player, but not a natural leader.

Latest posts