• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup SF. 1 - ASM Clermont Auvergne v Leinster Rugby

Well done Clermont and Leinster. The better team deservedly won but Leinster really rattled them. Hindsight is great but I think if JGP started at 9 they'd have won. Leinstwr are in a rebuilding phase still like Munster and will only step forward after today.

Lopez for Lions!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Was thinking more as a 15, let's face it Brown isn't exactly big.

Nah but I think Brown's there because he's a mean *******, Watson and Mallinder are looking forwards and they're both big. Anyway less about England.

Brilliant by Clermont, Parra and Lopez were both superb. Fritz Lee is a hell of a player, wonder if he went back to NZ would he get in the team?
Unlucky Leinster, played stupidly and Sexton didn't have a great game. Farrell has out performed him this weekend...

Also will just add. Ruddock showed he should be much more up pecking order and Conan I believe is the new blue 8. Those 2 were superb today. And Ringrose joined Zebo yesterday in saying "guess we aren't Lions because we aren't gym monkeys". That try was magic

Disappointed with the loss but have huge respect for the fightback. After about 50 minutes, it looked like it was Leinster's game to lose.

8 points while Isa Nacewa was in the bin decided it. Camile Lopez was a deserved man of the match.

Garry Ringrose's try was brilliant. Glad he hasn't been selected for the Lions exhibition tour and can have a summer off.

Cracking game. Well done to Leinster. Great win for Clermont. This is the final I wanted.

Lopez MoM for me.

Would love to see Clermont go on and win the final but think Saracens are the better side.

There's still a Pro 12 to be won for Leinster. I wouldn't bet against them doing it.

Will get behind Clermont for the final. A real club with great fans and they've been in the desert for so long. Huge task in Sarries though, they will be strong favourites.

So glad there is no Irish representation in the final. The main reason; the lack of support for the Lions. I bet the players don't think the same!

France for 2023.

So glad there is no Irish representation in the final. The main reason; the lack of support for the Lions. I bet the players don't think the same!

France for 2023.

Nice one lad, the two best Irish teams have playoffs though, we're not all that dissimilar to the midlands.

Last edited:

France for 2023.
I would say I'm glad the club that harbors gougers, rascals and general ne'er do wells Dylan Hartley and Callum Clarke didn't make past fourth place in their pool, but to stay edgy I try to keep my slating relevant, which of course in a European rugby sense, Northampton no longer is.
England to get dumped out in the pool stages of their own World Cup...... oh wait that already happened ;);):wub:

Last edited:
Wanted at least one Irish team in the final to help with the atmosphere.

Feel that all the current "Champions Cup" finals have all been a bit flat.

Wish the top 14 would let it be the final final in the NH calendar.

I would say I'm glad the club that harbors gougers, rascals and general ne'er do wells Dylan Hartley and Callum Clarke didn't make past fourth place in their pool, but to stay edgy I try to keep my slating relevant, which of course in a European rugby sense, Northampton no longer is.
England to get dumped out in the pool stages of their own World Cup...... oh wait that already happened ;);):wub:

Clarke is a Leicester man at heart.

I think Irish hate Lions due to fact injuries usually follow.
As I said earlier Leinster gave it great shot but were marginally beaten by the better team.
But like yesterday Clermont are higher up on scale but in decline from where they were last season and few before. Leinster are on upward curve. Young guys are really stepping up too

Clarke is a Leicester man at heart.

Are you pulling my Arm or are you being serious?

As I said earlier Leinster gave it great shot but were marginally beaten by the better team.
But like yesterday Clermont are higher up on scale but in decline from where they were last season and few before. Leinster are on upward curve. Young guys are really stepping up too

the fact that so many pundits still keep calling them the British lions doesn't help either.

the fact that so many pundits still keep calling them the British lions doesn't help either.

True but any true Rugby fan knows its B&I Lions. Like look at BT tweet during week. But main issue is injuries. Tour is so intense

Leicester usually breed the animals, so he must be a Leicester man. We sadly stumbled across him before you.

Saracens will probably make him a world beater.

- - - Updated - - -

The fans hate it... but the players love it. PoC in his book loved playing for the lions, and I'm sure he even mentioned having it as an aim from early on his career.

Lions > nation > club / province.

Let's not become like football where fans see club as more important. I would much prefer to see the Lions win in New Zealand than Saints win the EC.

But like yesterday Clermont are higher up on scale but in decline from where they were last season and few before.

Can't see how Clermont are in decline over previous years. They too ave a great generation coming thru. Guys like Iturria in their early 20s who are first starters already.

Latest posts