• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League Thread

Wouldn't have thought after the first legs that Liverpool would be the only English team with a decent chance of progressing.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Feb 26 2005, 07:07 AM
Wouldn't have thought after the first legs that Liverpool would be the only English team with a decent chance of progressing.
me either

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Feb 25 2005, 03:15 PM
But Milan did what you didn't - they took their chance! THAT is what football is all about.

United aren't out of the tie by any means but I will be very surprised if they score in Milan, never mind win.
Spot on mate.
<

Quality performance from Chelsea tonight, certainly deserved to go through. Fantastic start, peach of a goal from Ronaldinho. At one point when Eto'o got in behind Cheslea I thought they were done for but Carvalho produced a superb tackle and Terry's header just finished it off quite nicely.

I know Chelsea will be getting plenty of plaudits after tonight but Lyon's performance was fairly impressive winning 10-2 on aggregate against Bremen, they'd be one to avoid in the quarters

Best game I've ever seen? What a legend John Terry is. Petr Cech is different gravy.

Up the mighty Blues. Bring on the rest of them.

Must admit I have been impressed with Joe Cole recently, normally have no time for the petulent child but he's done well, will struggle to keep his place though when Robben comes back,

As for Terry he's just different class, says it all about Sven when he picks Campbell and Ferdinand as his first choice central defensive partnership.

great game last night. Thought Duff and Cole were magnificent in the first half going forward and they worked their socks off in the second.

Liverpool?

Further in the Champions League than the unbeatable Manchester United?

Surely not?????
<
<
<
<
<

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Mar 9 2005, 11:20 PM
Leverkusen are hardly the same quality as Milan
No, they're not, but at least we had the ability to manage to make the keeper make a save over 2 legs....

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Mar 8 2005, 10:31 PM
Must admit I have been impressed with Joe Cole recently, normally have no time for the petulent child but he's done well, will struggle to keep his place though when Robben comes back,

As for Terry he's just different class, says it all about Sven when he picks Campbell and Ferdinand as his first choice central defensive partnership.
Joe Cole, and all his deflected shots, have been playing well recently.

I wouldn't break up Rio and Sol JUST yet - maybe in time for World Cup 2006 but JT as sensational as he is gets caught out at international level because his reading of the game is just a tiny bit off yet.

Terry is easily the best English defender and Sven is a fool to leave him out if he has Ferdinand and Campbell fit.

Just read on the BBC that if Everton finish fourth and Liverpool win the Champions League then Everton will miss out on the champions league qualifer because no one country can have more than four places in the champions league. Would be quite a pisser for Everton to miss out in such a way, although some incentive for Liverpool to go on and win the trophy.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Mar 11 2005, 01:05 PM
Terry is easily the best English defender and Sven is a fool to leave him out if he has Ferdinand and Campbell fit.
I'd stick with SC and RF for now.

Would love to scupper Everton - that would be hilarious!

Back on topic, the draw was made for the ¼ finals and semi finals today.

Draw in full:

Liverpool v Juventus
Chelsea v Bayern Munich
AC Milan v Inter
Lyon v PSV

Semi-final draw:
Chelsea/Bayern Munich v Liverpool/Juventus
AC Milan/Inter v Lyon/PSV

Some cracking ties there, espeically Chelsea v Bayern and the Milan Derby, the other two should be fairly straightforward with Juve and Lyon going through.

There's an obvious historical relevance to the Liverpool Juventus tie but Juve should still go through.

Milan against Lyon in the semi-final looks quite tasty as does Chelsea v Juve

I know you've done well taking a lead to Italy in the UEFA Cup but the Champions League is a different story, against not the greatest defence in the competition I'd fancy Juve to pick up an away goal or two.

Latest posts