TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47293734_patterson512x288.jpg

Scotland's record cap holder and points scorer Chris Paterson says a desire to quit while at his peak is his reason for retiring from international rugby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16274504.stm

That's a shame. Chris has been a top kicker for years. One of the very best. Makes Jonny Wilkinson look average.

Hmm, he was a decent kicker but not the best by far, and hasn't been great recently either.

No denying he was a truly outstanding kicker in his pomp, but he's still sorely lacking in the rest of his game.

when Paterson started playing for Scotland he was actually a good winger and scored quite a few tries, and was unlucky not to go on the 2005 Lions tour in my opinion

however when he started he wasn't such a good goal kicker, but as his attacking skills went he became one of the best goal kickers in world rugby, at one point holding the record for most consecutive successful kicks until Morné Steyn overtook his figure in 2009, however despite Paterson being very accurate at goal kicking he didn't have much distance in his kicks and his range was limited to 40 metres although he hardly ever missed from that range

although he wasn't an attacking force during his last few years, he was a very solid defender at full back for Scotland

here's some stats which tell a story

Chris Paterson didn't score a try in his last 31 caps, his last try was in RWC 2007

however before that he scored 22 tries, just 2 from breaking the Scottish record

he was far more potent as a winger he scored 17 tries in 45 starts on the wing

Last edited by a moderator:
Very underated IMO he was a very elusive runner in broken play and made a good wing/full back. He was a good goal kicker but not brilliant. He tended to hand the harder kicks to Godman so his 100% record stayed intact and was a bit bitter about his time playing in England but served Scotland well.

Very underated IMO he was a very elusive runner in broken play and made a good wing/full back. He was a good goal kicker but not brilliant. He tended to hand the harder kicks to Godman so his 100% record stayed intact and was a bit bitter about his time playing in England but served Scotland well.

?

As psychic duck points out, his range without any aiding wind is 40 metres. I can't remember Parks (Godman? Only a handful of games when Mossie playing) taking any kicks 'under' the 40 metre line ahead of Paterson, even the touch line ones. Saying that I am not saying definitively that he didn't.

Many Scots felt that Paterson should have been moved to 10 when his pace went, had better hands than anything else we had at that stage. Was decent at 15 for a few seasons, dependable but far from spectacular, however since the latter stages of 2009 has been bordering on pants at times. Recognised this and retired, and the way things are going at Edinburgh might end his contract early.

he took the hard kicks from the touchline, just didn't take the long kicks as his range wasn't long enough

Many Scots felt that Paterson should have been moved to 10 when his pace went, had better hands than anything else we had at that stage. Was decent at 15 for a few seasons, dependable but far from spectacular, however since the latter stages of 2009 has been bordering on pants at times. Recognised this and retired, and the way things are going at Edinburgh might end his contract early.

Interesting you note that, but when Paterson did play 10 it didn't really work I don't think, but to be fair he hasn't been tried there since 2007, however I noticed during the 2008/2009 period when Godman had the 10 shirt, that Paterson would always defend at 10 because Godman was a weak tackler

Was never the same player after that kidney injury he suffered against Wales couple of years ago. Decent enough player, nothing special in open play but then again, neither were/are Scotland. His prowess as a goalkicker pretty much meant than in close games you had the feeling they may just nick the game on penalties alone.

?

As psychic duck points out, his range without any aiding wind is 40 metres. I can't remember Parks (Godman? Only a handful of games when Mossie playing) taking any kicks 'under' the 40 metre line ahead of Paterson, even the touch line ones. Saying that I am not saying definitively that he didn't.

He had a record with the number of consecutive kicks at goal at one point and I remember a number of times during that 6N (2008 I think) handing the ball to Mr Godman whenever the kick looked a bit tough, which I thought was poor given Godman was struggling enough without being handed all the no hope kicks.

Hmm, he was a decent kicker but not the best by far, and hasn't been great recently either.
Well age does come into it with Chris. Jonny was one of them superstar players I detest. He's all of a sudden amazing just because of something he did in the RWC 2003 Final. He can't even sustain his first team position because there are better kickers.

Well age does come into it with Chris. Jonny was one of them superstar players I detest. He's all of a sudden amazing just because of something he did in the RWC 2003 Final. He can't even sustain his first team position because there are better kickers.
Cool?
I get the impression you're trying to offend me by having a pop at Wilkinson?

No, just stating my opinion. I don't care if you are an England supporter. Considering you support Sale, I thought you would like Charlie Hodgson.

Latest posts