• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Churchill Cup

And the end of it... All commentators since Bill McLaren hung up his mic are rubbish.

England Saxons: 15 Nick Abendanon (Bath), 14 Noah Cato (Saracens), 13 Dominic Waldouck (Wasps), 12 Brad Barritt (Saracens), 11 Tom Varndell (Leicester), 10 Stephen Myler (Northampton), 9 Micky Young (Newcastle), 8 Luke Narraway (Gloucester), 7 Ben Woods (Leicester), 6 Phil Dowson (Newcastle, captain), 5 Nick Kennedy (London Irish), 4 Stuart Hooper (Bath), 3 Dan Cole (Leicester), 2 Rob Webber (Wasps), 1 David Flatman (Bath).

Replacements: 16 Tom Mercey (Saracens), 17 Joe Ward (Wasps), 18 Dean Schofield (Sale Sharks), 19 Tom Guest (Harlequins), 20 Joe Simpson (Wasps), 21 Danny Cipriani (Wasps), 22 Shane Geraghty (London Irish).

Ireland A: 15 Felix Jones (Leinster), 14 Denis Hurley (Munster), 13 Fergus McFadden (Leinster), 12 Keith Matthews (Connacht), 11 Johne Murphy (Leicester), 10 Jonathan Sexton (Leinster), 9 Isaac Boss (Ulster), 8 Chris Henry (Ulster), 7 Niall Ronan (Munster), 6 Neil Best (Northampton, capt), 5 Devin Toner (Leinster), 4 Donnacha Ryan (Munster), 3 Tony Buckley (Munster), 2 Sean Cronin (Connacht), 1 Cian Healy (Leinster).

Replacements: 16 Denis Fogarty (Munster), 17 Bryan Young (Ulster), 18 Trevor Hogan (Leinster), 19 John Muldoon (Connacht), 20 Simon Keogh (Leinster), 21 Niall O'Connor (Ulster), 22 James Downey (Northampton).

Date: Sunday, June 21

Kick-off: 14:30 (20:30 GMT)

Venue: Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Colorado

Referee: Matt Goddard (Australia)

Assistant referees: Andrew Macpherson (Scotland), tbc

I'm liking that second row pairing quite a bit really. Both will probably feature heavily for Ireland after DOC and POC go so I'm anxious to see how they do. Good the see the management not persisting with O'Connor. Happy enough although I'd prefer to see Frank Murphy in there for Boss and someone apart from Keith Matthews at 12.

Of those two, I fancy England to be the stronger. At least until 55 minutes when Abendaman gets replaced by Cipriani and Neil Best goes hunting...

Buckley v Flatman - Worrying come scrumtime, Cian Healy should eat Cole though. Healy, Cronin/Fogarty, Buckley - extreme ball carrying power.

Toner v Kennedy should be interesting, very similar players.

Our backrow is nicely balanced, should win alot of ball on the deck, might come second in terms of raw power though.

Combine Isaac Boss and Simon Keogh and you wouldn't get a scrum half as good as Frank Murphy, where is he?

Sexton v Myler should be good, both these guys could be battling it out in the Six Nations soon enough.

Would prefer Downey at 12, but Fergus has skillz.

Very pacey back 3, Hurley could be a revelation on the wing with his power and pace.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 21 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Buckley v Flatman - Worrying come scrumtime, Cian Healy should eat Cole though. Healy, Cronin/Fogarty, Buckley - extreme ball carrying power.

Our backrow is nicely balanced, should win alot of ball on the deck, might come second in terms of raw power though.

Combine Isaac Boss and Simon Keogh and you wouldn't get a scrum half as good as Frank Murphy, where is he?

Sexton v Myler should be good, both these guys could be battling it out in the Six Nations soon enough.

Very pacey back 3, Hurley could be a revelation on the wing with his power and pace.[/b]

Might have a good point about Hurley making a better wing - So long as he doesn't have to catch any highball.

Fionn Carr's better though. I still think Downey is mediocre.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jun 21 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 21 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very pacey back 3, Hurley could be a revelation on the wing with his power and pace.[/b]

Might have a good point about Hurley making a better wing - So long as he doesn't have to catch any highball.

[/b][/quote]

You've either not seen much of him or don't pay much attention to to him. He's not a flair player, but a bloody good centre and a rock in defence. He'd probably be near the first Irish XV team by now if Kidney didn't have a bias against players plying their outside of Ireland.

How dare you badmouth king Declan!

Nah, he doesn't really, he has made a far better effort to include GP player than Eddie did. As far as I remember a few Northampton boys were in his very first squad but Premier rugby wouldn't let Northampton release them. I do remember a story about him driving around the UK to Quins, Leicester and Northampton to have a word with their coaches and the Irish players before the 6N as well.

Keith Mathews is a decent player, and is younger. I'd have started Downey but it isn't nearly as bad as not starting Frank Murphy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 21 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jun 21 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 21 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

You've either not seen much of him or don't pay much attention to to him. He's not a flair player, but a bloody good centre and a rock in defence. He'd probably be near the first Irish XV team by now if Kidney didn't have a bias against players plying their outside of Ireland.

[/b][/quote]

Actually I do watch them quite a bit because I'm keeping an eye on Foden, Geraghty, Myler and Hartley seeing as I think they're all better than their english Counterparts who played in the 6 Nations. And of course I enjoy watching Neil Best pick fights.

And I think Downey is mediocre. Being defensively solid at 12 is an absolute must and any decent 12 is rock solid. He had time an Leinster Connacht and Munster impressed at one of them. Gets pretty desperate when you move to Calvisano!

So besides the Defense which any decent 12 should have, he doesn't kick particularly well he's not flairy.

Barry Murphy's a year younger and better. Darren Cave or Ian Whitten depending on who sticks wiith First Centre will be better than him. Keith Mathews I don't like but I think hw's better rounded.

So nanananana, I think Downey is mediocre.

So you've never noticed any of the work he does off the ball? No. Or how he sucks in defenders and creates the space for his 13? No. Or... No. I'll assume you probably haven't. He quietly gets on with his job and never puts a foot wrong. He may not write headlines, but that doesn't mean he's mediocre. Watching him week-in, week-out, I know he's an integral part of Northamptons back-line, and one of the key elements why they finished the season so successfully; Myler-Downey-Ansbro is one of the best midfields in NH rugby at the moment.

Anyway, looks like Argentina have already beat Canada after half an hour.

Edit: as he says that, Canada score their second. 15-21 after 32 minutes.

This will be a bot of craic alright. Wish Sean O'Brien hadn't picked up an injury though.

Hopefully we'll get a lot of people watching!

Ireland's poor discipline keeping England in the game. But 2 tries to nill makes it Saxons 9 - Ireland 'A' 17

England 12 - Ireland 20 at half time. Ref's a tard for giving Henry a yellow. and Ronan and Best causing owning the breakdown.

Ireland score a try off the kick-off.

Croning looking a class act!

27 - 12 to Ireland

Felix Jones scores a lovely try....

32 -17 to Ireland. can't wait for the Earls - Jones axis of sexy rugby next year.

Latest posts