• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Churchill Cup

L

loratadine

The churcill cup starts on friday with the states facing the saxons

lets post all the info here

squads etc... and news!!

i think that the saxons should have too much power for the states and claim a victory by about 35 points.

the game on saturday interests me, ireland A vs canada, i really see canada winning this game, there developing at quite a rate

my dark horses for the tournament are canada.

although just looking at the squads now, i expect the winners to be either the maori's or the saxons with scotland A definatly in the mix.

the maori squad:

Callum Bruce (Otago, Ngati Kahungunu), Keith Cameron (Otago, Te Whanau Apanui), Aled de Malmanche (Waikato, Tainui), Tamati Ellison (Wellington, Ngati Porou), Hosea Gear (Wellington, Ngati Porou), Brendan Haami (Taranaki, Te Ati Awa), Glen Horton (Otago, Tuwharetoa), Jason Kawau (Southland, Ngati Apa), Tanerau Latimer (Bay of Plenty, Ngai Te Rangi), Angus Macdonald (Auckland, Ngapuhi), Luke Mahoney (Wellington, Te Ati Awa), Ben May (Tasman, Tuhoe), Liam Messam (Waikato, Ngai Tuhoe), Kristian Ormsby (Counties Manukau, Ngati Maniapoto), Shannon Paku (Wellington, Ngai Tuhoe), Isaac Ross (Canterbury, Kai Tahu), Chris Smylie (Otago, Ngati Mutunga), Warren Smith (Bay of Plenty, Ngati Kahungunu), Dwayne Sweeney (Waikato, Tainui), Anthony Tahana (Bay of Plenty, Te Arawa), Pehi Te Whare (Southland, Ngati Maniapoto), Hayden Triggs (Manawatu, Ngati Kahungunu), Rua Tipoki (captain) (Canterbury, Te Whanau Apanui), Hoani Tui (Wellington, Ngati Apa), Scott Waldrom (Taranaki, Ngati Porou), Craig West (Waikato, Ngati Apakura).

lol, thats a pretty strong Maori team.. Their loose forwards aren't too shabby..

No Paul ***o?

Sweeney impressed in the Super14, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a start at centre..

I wonder if Ellison will get a crack at 1st five?

I may just go to the Maori game at Franklins next week if I decide against driving up to Skegness for the bank holiday, it all depends how big a group of people I can get to go.

Can anyone give me a guess on a starting XV for them?

Let's just say the maoris are going to own everybody and Canada takes the second spot ok? :p

Scratch that, I'm not even sure that's possible with the present tournament format.

personally i think its dumb that the tournament is being held in england, they should be holding it in america and canada tryign to develop the game here not in england where its already developed..

Its not dumb, you fool.

Want to know why? Because most of the American and Canadian team will be in Europe to prepare for the Rugby World Cup.

Want to know where the Rugby World Cup is going to be held? France. Know where that is? Thought not.

Thus, it makes common sense for Canada and USA rugby to play the Churchill Cup in England while preparing for the World Cup.

In 2008, the Churchill cup will be played in North America again, capiche?

Its not dumb, you fool.

Want to know why? Because most of the American and Canadian team will be in Europe to prepare for the Rugby World Cup.

Want to know where the Rugby World Cup is going to be held? France. Know where that is? Thought not.

Thus, it makes common sense for Canada and USA rugby to play the Churchill Cup in England while preparing for the World Cup.

In 2008, the Churchill cup will be played in North America again, capiche?
[/b]

And we need to prepare in england because?

Hold a game in ohio if they want to bad enough, we have a exact carbon copy climate to europe, not only that but it develops the game where it should be developed.. Also canada has a carbon copy climate to europe.

go the Maori!!! lol hosea gear is the man!!! i think it doesnt matter where its held. Its held in europe this time round, so it'll give the US and canada some experience playing outside america in competition format, even tho canada are going to play the all blacks later on in a couple months

hmmm..

15. G. Horton
14. H. Gear
13. D. Sweeney
12. R. Tipoki
11. S. Paku
10. T.Ellison/C. Bruce
9. B. Haami
8. L. Messam
7. T. Latimer
6. A. MacDonald
5. K. Ormsby
4. I. Ross
3. C. West
2. L. Mahoney
1. A. de Malmanche

I've decided I'll probably take a break from exams to pop along to Henley and see Scotland A against the USA on the 23rd.

I may even write a match reported if I feel inclined.

Any players on either side that I should particularly look out for?

yea paul emerick deffinately... i still think its dumb playing it in england and not where it needs to be developed but obviously the IRB knows all..

Ireland are ripping the **** with their team for Canada:

15 - Johnny Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
14 - Paul McKenzie (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
13 - Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
12 - Seamus Mallon (Northampton Saints)
11 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
10 - *Jeremy Staunton (London Wasps)
9 - Chris Keane (Buccaneers/Connacht)
1 - Ray Hogan (Galwegians/Connacht)
2 - John Fogarty (Buccaneers/Connacht)
3 - Michael Ross (NEC Harlequins)
4 - Ryan Caldwell (Dungannon/Ulster)
5 - Andrew Farley (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6 - Stephen Keogh (Shannon/Leinster)
7 - *Johnny O'Connor (London Wasps)
8 - *Roger Wilson (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Shannon/Munster)
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
18 - David Gannon (Buccaneers/Connacht)
19 - John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht)
20 - *Kieran Campbell (Dungannon/Ulster)
21 - John Hearty (Galwegians/Connacht)
22 - Fergus McFadden (UCD/Leinster)

N.B. * = Capped at full international level

McKenzie and Cave haven't been near Ulster's first choice team this season, Earls has one substitute appearance for Munster, Sexton has played 3 or 4 times for Leinster at outhalf, Sean Cronin has never been close to a Munster 22, not even for the ML, Fergus McFadden was on the bench once for Leinster.
And Jeremy Staunton is crap.

So, we know so far that the USA suck. 29-3 after 47 mins and Lamb has a less then 50% kicking record tonight! :eek:

I just read that Simon Danelli is in the Scotland A squad. He's going to get some abuse next week. Stupid family.

usa sent a squad filled with college guys there if im not mistaken
[/b]

They had Chris Wyles on the wing, which is never a good sign in fairness.

Latest posts