• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Proof that dispite what a frightening number of people think, 100% of doctors aren't 100% infallible. Even if everything that he's saying if correct, it's meaningless without an explanation of why it constitutes a compelling reason not to have the vaccine.

He's arguing based on transmission, not protection from severe disease and hospitalisation, which is the consensus to get fully vaccinated and boosted. Equating previous infection and recovery and the antibodies being as good as fully vaccination. He didn't answer Javid's questions that even so his antibodies would still wane.

Still, you would think a critical care Dr would have some basis to an argument for not getting one. The other critical care staff seemed to remain strangely quiet when asked about the mandatory vaccine policy for NHS staff.

On a related note, has anyone watched 'Don't look up' on Netflix? I enjoyed it as it was a ridiculous comedy, but I also left me thinking that satire is pretty much dead now. Not because there aren't good satirist, but because real life has gotten so ridiculous that a satirist can't actually top it. You look at the narratives of Trump, Brexit, covid vaccines, this Djokovic saga. How are you meant to satirise what is already so farcical?
I thought it was grand. Very accurate commentary on the media today whereby conservatives seem to have far more personable voices than moderates and, moreso, liberals which is why their more batshit ideas gain a following against some straight and narrow policies and opinions.

Jonah Hill was the best part of it and that was solely because of his absurdity which speaks to how good the satirical side of it was.

The Bezos fella was funny too I suppose insofar as his corporation sells itself as groundbreaking and with the times meanwhile he's in bed with the ultra republican president.

Another Sad milestone passed. Probably the actual death toll even more once excess deaths taken into account.
Probably less when distinctions between deaths from / with Covid are taken into account tbh

How do you distinguish? And how do you separate how Covid accelerated deaths, through complications?
I'm not saying it's an easy thing, so the current metric with that caveat is the best we've got - it's the kind of thing we'll find out in a decade or so ig.

With current hospitalisation numbers being close to 50/50 not even knowing they have Covid / going in for it, you'd assume deaths are also massively inflated by it.

Again, it's a complicated thing to work out and not something we'll know for a long time but over the entirety of the Pandemic, we've learned towards over reporting deaths.

Even using excess deaths isn't going to be particularly helpful at this point as you then have to make the distinction between Covid deaths and Covid response deaths (suicides, missed health appointments etc)

On a related note, has anyone watched 'Don't look up' on Netflix? I enjoyed it as it was a ridiculous comedy, but I also left me thinking that satire is pretty much dead now. Not because there aren't good satirist, but because real life has gotten so ridiculous that a satirist can't actually top it. You look at the narratives of Trump, Brexit, covid vaccines, this Djokovic saga. How are you meant to satirise what is already so farcical?
I think McCay has done good work in the past and has done a good job at throwing punches where they need to be thrown. That being said, I thought the Guardian did a good write up about it here. Global warming has actual victims that and I think this film essentially reduces it to an attempt to score moral points for dunking on the ignorant. The Guardian had another piece mentioning that the fossil fuels industry was absent from the field, so he isn't even dunking on the people who are at fault. It's just a Hollywood guy dunking on the common man.

Global warming has been accepted by scientists since the late 1990s and according to some climate scientists we have 10-20 years to fix things before we are ******. That's going to be extremely hard to do. The time for hard cutting global warming satire was 15 years ago. This film feels like celebrating a try with 5 minutes to go and you are down 85.

I'm not saying it's an easy thing, so the current metric with that caveat is the best we've got - it's the kind of thing we'll find out in a decade or so ig.

With current hospitalisation numbers being close to 50/50 not even knowing they have Covid / going in for it, you'd assume deaths are also massively inflated by it.

Again, it's a complicated thing to work out and not something we'll know for a long time but over the entirety of the Pandemic, we've learned towards over reporting deaths.

Even using excess deaths isn't going to be particularly helpful at this point as you then have to make the distinction between Covid deaths and Covid response deaths (suicides, missed health appointments etc)
No, it's not easy as you said. In fact the actual death count is likely to be a lot higher than 150,000, rather than lower as these are deaths within 28 days of a positive test, which is a bit arbitrary when on average deaths have occurred at the 35 day mark and this isn't taking into account deaths where no test has been undertaken.

And I would disagree that excess deaths isn't going to be helpful, as it reflects more broadly the wider knock on impact of Covid on the UK population.

And I would disagree that excess deaths isn't going to be helpful, as it reflects more broadly the wider knock on impact of Covid on the UK population.
This last bit reflects moreso the impact of covid response than anything else tbh.

It's a bit like the economic impact - COVID the disease hasn't caused business closure etc, governments have - but the language used absolves them of any responsibility

What the ****

Good job they were giving out boxes of 20 at New Street the other day,
Gonna be checking that out every day on my lunch and stocking up

[
What the ****

Good job they were giving out boxes of 20 at New Street the other day,
Gonna be checking that out every day on my lunch and stocking up
I've been keeping my stock low to not put pressure on the system. But this is ridiculous its literally what gives lot of people peace of mind to visit friends and family.

I've been keeping my stock low to not put pressure on the system.
I did initially, but I need them to go to work so as soon as they stopped having them in stock online I just picked up a box whenever I saw someone giving them out

This last bit reflects moreso the impact of covid response than anything else tbh.

It's a bit like the economic impact - COVID the disease hasn't caused business closure etc, governments have - but the language used absolves them of any responsibility

Yes, and Covid has had social, economic impact other than direct deaths because of Covid. They can't easily be distinguished from each other, which is why excess deaths by comparing to previous 5 years before Covid hit can give broad idea of the impact on deaths. We will probably never know the exact deaths from Covid and each measure can have its flaws. But to downplay the 150,000 and say it's probably less is wrong, whatever way you look at it IMO. It's the kind of narrative that they used for the Spanish flu, but we have much better data today than 100 years ago.

And Each death still has a person behind it. And families and friends which have been impacted as a result.

And Governments have had to close businesses/lockdown because of the impact of Covid and to stop health systems becoming overwhelmed because ultimately it has been a public health crisis. Have you missed that?

Well the 36 billion put aside on the track and trace was for the most part for testing so yes I can order some/get some from the chemist for free but it's all tax funded
Didn't Bozo mention a budget of £100b when he announced Operation Moonshot?

Looks like the Australian Federal Government have covered themselves in the event the judge does find in Novak's favour.
77. If the Court makes an additional orders for immediate release of the applicant, notwithstanding the above, the respondent submits that the Court should make it expressly clear that that order does not purport to (nor could it) prevent the respondent or any officer of the Commonwealth from exercising any power to detain that might be available to him or her despite the quashing of the delegate's cancellation decision. An order for immediate release does not prevent re-detention if there is power to detain.

Latest posts