• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Plus we also saying Government was crap for not having stocks of PPE when not one individual knew a pandemic was coming.
I'm no Boris fan but which would rather have no protection or poor protection.
Of course the answer is neither , so health professionals treat no one and make figures worse.
Quid pro quo.
Unbelievable. Do you carry insurance for your car / house even if you're not planning to crash / burn it down?

If "not one individual" in the government knew that the pandemic was coming, they should all be strung up. You would have had to have spent the last 8 months under a rock to have avoided reading / hearing multipe accounts of reputable sources saying that it was a question of when, not if.

Yes not preparing for a Pandemic when everyone in the epidemiology community had been warning for years it was a matter of when not if...

It's like the folks on the San Adreas fault thinking there isn't a massive Earthquake due (based on history they are well overdue).

Unbelievable. Do you carry insurance for your car / house even if you're not planning to crash / burn it down?

If "not one individual" in the government knew that the pandemic was coming, they should all be strung up. You would have had to have spent the last 8 months under a rock to have avoided reading / hearing multipe accounts of reputable sources saying that it was a question of when, not if.
So you would have massive stocks of everything for just in case.
As your words unbelievable, I'm old enough to remember Nuclear drills for the wars that never came.
It was hide under a staircase my god social media in 60s 70s .
I respect what you believe but think hindsight is your bestie.

Yes not preparing for a Pandemic when everyone in the epidemiology community had been warning for years it was a matter of when not if...

It's like the folks on the San Adreas fault thinking there isn't a massive Earthquake due (based on history they are well overdue).
I live close to the San Andreas fault line here in SoCal and I know we're overdue. But like many places in the World, most people are caught up in their daily routines and don't think big picture.

Just got off my weekly family Zoom. Not a happy one this week.

Sister had a "chat" with her MP a couple of days ago.

For background, Sis is 54, her immune system is essentially shot and she's been around 1/4 lung capacity since her late teens, and until her kids left home she'd typically spend 3-4 months of the year in hospital, with frequent trips to ICU. She hasn't left the house since February - during which she hasn't been in the same room as her husband.

Her husband is a dentist - front line health worker, and will be handing out vaccines once authorised.

Healthy 65 year olds are a higher priority for vaccine than people like Sis because "you're not leaving the house at the moment". Neither Sis nor Hubby are eligible for testing absent symptoms. MP signed off with "I take the train to London every week and have mild asthma, we're all in this together".

My brother works with a lady, 27F who's husband had a heart transplant 8-9 months ago, is on the strongest immune-suppressants going. Husband lost his business. They live in a small small 1-bed flat and simply cannot live separately.

She has to go to work and teach 150+ snotty-nosed kids every day. She cannot be furloughed, she cannot take paid time off work. School has allowed that they could arrange for her to have the entire academic year off - unpaid.

Low priority for vaccine and ineligible for testing absent symptoms.

She's late home after work every day as she needs to compose herself and confront her fear as to whether she's been exposed that day.

The headmaster spoke to their MP on her behalf. "Some people just have to suck it up".

For background, Sis is 54, her immune system is essentially shot and she's been around 1/4 lung capacity since her late teens, and until her kids left home she'd typically spend 3-4 months of the year in hospital, with frequent trips to ICU. She hasn't left the house since February - during which she hasn't been in the same room as her husband.

Her husband is a dentist - front line health worker, and will be handing out vaccines once authorised.

Healthy 65 year olds are a higher priority for vaccine than people like Sis because "you're not leaving the house at the moment". Neither Sis nor Hubby are eligible for testing absent symptoms. MP signed off with "I take the train to London every week and have mild asthma, we're all in this together".

My brother works with a lady, 27F who's husband had a heart transplant 8-9 months ago, is on the strongest immune-suppressants going. Husband lost his business. They live in a small small 1-bed flat and simply cannot live separately.

She has to go to work and teach 150+ snotty-nosed kids every day. She cannot be furloughed, she cannot take paid time off work. School has allowed that they could arrange for her to have the entire academic year off - unpaid.

She's late home after work every day as she needs to compose herself and confront her fear as to whether she's been exposed that day.

The headmaster spoke to their MP on her behalf. "Some people just have to suck it up".
Thought the plan was to have a vaccine available to everyone over 18 by April?

Thought the plan was to have a vaccine available to everyone over 18 by April?
Something like that, but it's a matter of the priorities and therefore of time-frames.

Healthy 65 year olds are so only higher priority than my sis or my brother's colleague & hubby. My BiL will be top priority though.

I hope things will be better for your family the next time you meet up on Zoom. Hang in there!

Something like that, but it's a matter of the priorities and therefore of time-frames.

Healthy 65 year olds are so only higher priority than my sis or my brother's colleague & hubby. My BiL will be top priority though.
Isn't she prioritised on account of her being a teacher?

My father was tested positive for Covid 19 a couple of weeks ago,but thankfully had no symptoms (just did 2 weeks of quarantine). I had a small trip to Russian Kaliningrad (Russian territory near Poland) a week ago,to meet him,and I had to test for Covid 19 as well there (to avoid quarantine). Thankfully my test was negative, but now, after went back, I have to stay for 10 days on quarantine in Poland :confused: I don't leave my apartment at all, although I'm absolutely healthy.
Both are so different: Russia and Poland. In Russia it's mandatory to wear masks only in public places and transport (most of people wear masks on streets though), almost everything is open ,in Poland - otherwise, everything is closed and masks are now mandatory everywhere.

My father was tested positive for Covid 19 a couple of weeks ago,but thankfully had no symptoms (just did 2 weeks of quarantine). I had a small trip to Russian Kaliningrad (Russian territory near Poland) a week ago,to meet him,and I had to test for Covid 19 as well there (to avoid quarantine). Thankfully my test was negative, but now, after went back, I have to stay for 10 days on quarantine in Poland :confused: I don't leave my apartment at all, although I'm absolutely healthy.
Both are so different: Russia and Poland. In Russia it's mandatory to wear masks only in public places and transport (most of people wear masks on streets though), almost everything is open ,in Poland - otherwise, everything is closed and masks are now mandatory everywhere.

I'm glad both you and your father are doing well. Being stuck inside is boring, but thankfully you've got the internet to keep you informed and entertained. Were starting mandatory curfews (10:00 pm to 6:00 am) this coming Monday here in California. The only people allowed outdoors are those on their way to work or returning from it and first responders (police, firefighters, medical workers).

Isn't she prioritised on account of her being a teacher?

A provisional ranking of prioritisation for persons at-risk is set out below:
  1. older adults' resident in a care home and care home workers[footnote 1]
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers[footnote 1]
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. high-risk adults under 65 years of age
  7. moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
  8. all those 60 years of age and over
  9. all those 55 years of age and over
  10. all those 50 years of age and over
  11. rest of the population (priority to be determined)[footnote 2]

So apparently, BiL (and possibly myself) would be 2nd level as health workers. Teachers don't seem to be on the list at all (provisionally).
Sister and colleague's hubby would be 6th level.

High risk adults should be way further up that list, far more likely to live lives that increases their chance of exposure. My sister is in that category and it's fine if she's told to stay at home but her kids still have to go to school and her husband to work.

There are a few teachers I work with who were shielding during the first lockdown as they are vulnerable. Seems insane they still feature as 'rest of the population', especially when schools are being kept open rain or shine.

There are a few teachers I work with who were shielding during the first lockdown as they are vulnerable. Seems insane they still feature as 'rest of the population', especially when schools are being kept open rain or shine.
Probably like Supermarket workers now the most covid dangerous profession above Health workers.
However as minimum wage workers vast majority care little.
Not a service many seem to support judging by the abuse they receive at times when I visit local supermarket.

file.php

Probably like Supermarket workers now the most covid dangerous profession above Health workers.
However as minimum wage workers vast majority care little.
Not a service many seem to support judging by the abuse they receive at times when I visit local supermarket.
Yep, add bus drivers, train drivers etc...

We all saw who were key workers during the first lockdown, yet when it comes to actually thanking those who put themselves at risk there is actually very little in the way of thanks.

Health workers got some claps for a few weeks here while France gave theirs a pay rise. Here there is likely to be a public sector pay freeze which will hit mostly people who are considered a key worker. Many of these key workers will have struggled over lockdown and other times to keep paying for things as normal and as a thanks they have to have a pay freeze as well. Meanwhile banks are continuing to profit with loans that include interest when the Bank of England has set rates to virtually no-existent. Furthermore not only has the government abused the situation to give contracts to friends or companies with links to politicians (including those who have investments in said companies), but MPs are also going to get their pay rise as well. They could stop it if they wanted to, but instead justify it to themselves by saying the body that makes the decision is independent.

The quote "How a society treats its most vulnerable is always the measure of its humanity" has never been more apt. This government is an embarrassment and empty platitudes will not make people forget how they have been treated.

Latest posts