• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Last edited:
Probably like Supermarket workers now the most covid dangerous profession above Health workers.
However as minimum wage workers vast majority care little.
Not a service many seem to support judging by the abuse they receive at times when I visit local supermarket.
I was at the local supermarket yesterday and couldn't help but notice that high employee turnover. Most of older cashiers and shelf stockers that I've seen over the years are gone. Now it's mostly young people working there. The grocery workers union was paying their employees extra (kind of like battle pay) for awhile, but they've since stopped. That doesn't seem fair to me because infection rates are currently at an all time high here in California and in most of the United States.

Aaron Page, a pro strongman, passed from COVID last night.
He was on the reserves for Worlds Strongest Man but had to withdraw due to testing positive.
On Nov 10th he said he was ill but feeling OK,
Put into a medically induced coma on the 13th,
Died on the 20th

Terrifying how quickly it can progress.

Yeh, the Govt, doesn't want to be seen as the Grinch, so let's open up everything again just for 7 days over Xmas.

Happy Xmas Granny and Granddad here have COVID-19.

Being stuck inside is boring, but thankfully you've got the internet to keep you informed and entertained.
Yes, that's ok, I can "suffer" a little bit when it's necessary :) that's my second quarantine this year. First one was in March. I didn't leave my apartment for 14 days,at all, like now (I asked my friends to buy me some food and leave it near my door). Although no one checked if I was really staying at home, but..I have some feeling of responsibility,at least sometimes :D and that's why I'm irritated when I think about other people but some of them don't do the same: I have one colleague who asked me once to go to the office (to explain him some things he couldn't understand by phone), so I came to the office,in a mask etc and he sat near me, very close,and in a couple of minutes started to cough. Actually,he arrived ill..so, I started to hint that it would be better for him to go home and he was like "no, I feel fine, thanks". Finally, after I insisted, we both left the office, but I was a bit in fury :D

He was on the reserves for Worlds Strongest Man but had to withdraw due to testing positive.
Died on the 20th

yeah, the "its just a bad flu" people dont talk about cases like that much. In Aus we had a doctor, marathon runner, caught it at work, didn't die but had such bad perminant lung damage that he cant even go for a brisk walk without keeling over, and there no way to know if you going to be fine or have problems until you get it :(

My father was tested positive for Covid 19 a couple of weeks ago,but thankfully had no symptoms (just did 2 weeks of quarantine). I had a small trip to Russian Kaliningrad (Russian territory near Poland) a week ago,to meet him,and I had to test for Covid 19 as well there (to avoid quarantine). Thankfully my test was negative, but now, after went back, I have to stay for 10 days on quarantine in Poland :confused: I don't leave my apartment at all, although I'm absolutely healthy.
Both are so different: Russia and Poland. In Russia it's mandatory to wear masks only in public places and transport (most of people wear masks on streets though), almost everything is open ,in Poland - otherwise, everything is closed and masks are now mandatory everywhere.
were in a similar situation, if we go back to NZ for xmas we'd have to quarantine for two weeks before we could see our family, but we have to do it in a hotel, made the call to stay in aus for xmas and try and get back as soon as we dont have to quarantine

were in a similar situation, if we go back to NZ for xmas we'd have to quarantine for two weeks before we could see our family, but we have to do it in a hotel, made the call to stay in aus for xmas and try and get back as soon as we dont have to quarantine
Mate you need to be British. We're just gonna pretend Covid has disappeared for Christmas, just like we pretended it only came out after 10 o'clock. What could possibly go wrong?

Died on the 20th

That's nuts. I knew he was in an enduced coma, I only found out today that he had died. There's a video of him log pressing on his Facebook page on the 7th, complaining about a poor workout. 13 days later he's gone.

Oxford vaccine only 70% effective. And not yet approved by Regulators. Only the headline rate and still like the Pfizer and Moderna we don't know how long it infers immunity for. But add to the Arsenal against COVID.

And can be kept in the fridge rather than at -70 degrees C

Last edited:

Oxford vaccine only 70% effective. And not yet approved by Regulators. Only the headline rate and still like the Pfizer and Moderna we don't know how long it infers immunity for. But add to the Arsenal against COVID.

And can be kept in the fridge rather than at -70 degrees C
Well, kinda.
If I'm reading things right...
60% effective with a single dose. And 0 severe cases.
90% effective with 1.5 doses.

Pfizer is 95% effective with 2 full doses
Bear in mind, Pfizer also holds the world record fine for making exaggerated claims.

Astra-Zeneca is not being trademarked, so can be mass-produced by anyone, cheaper and more easily (and way more easily transported and stored).
Astra-Zeneca also had larger cohorts.

IF I'm reading things right

Yep, BBC reporting 70% figure is the average for effectiveness on those tested on.

Still, a lot of effective figures flying around. The proof will be in the pudding as they say and how effective it is when it's rolled out in the real world to millions.

And at least the AstraZeneca will be one to also help the poorer countries.

On the first day of Xmas my true love gave to me a dose of COVID 19.....

Made the decision to stick to whatever Tier rules are in place those 5 days. Which is easy for us I admit but it's going to be a disaster. Worries me most is how many people who won't follow even these rules.

Made the decision to stick to whatever Tier rules are in place those 5 days. Which is easy for us I admit but it's going to be a disaster. Worries me most is how many people who won't follow even these rules.
Same.
The intention is that we'll see Mum, and that's it, so 3 adults, 0 children, from 2 households, allmof which were tier 1 before lockdown.

Yeh I will be seeing my parents and Brothers.
But we will also be staying for around 2 weeks before.
The Uni brother has to have a covid test before being picked up also, and the other is living with them currently.

Christmas without the extended family is a silver lining of some sort.

Question is haircut or no haircut as I haven't had one in 9 months.

First time I'll ever have Christmas in Dublin, always go to my grandparents in Belfast for it. I'm still with the rents, Covid pushed back plans of moving out, so my sister will be the only one from outside the household there. It'll probably be the booziest Christmas I've ever had, grandparents are pioneers so we generally take it easy.

Latest posts