• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Good to see only 1 UK death reported sad as that is.
1.6 k cases as well.
All rolling 7 day data in good place ,as a single day can't be looked at in isolation.
Fingers ,toes and everything else crossed for some return to normality soon.

Definitely headed in the right direction,

Can't help but feel we'll **** it up somehow though - probably by relaxing international travels rules too much too soon, while many countries are going through a torrid time atm

Vaccination for those under 30s starts on the 10th of May in Poland. Will try to book my vaccination appointment in a couple of days :cool: a colleague of mine has already booked it and said it was possible to choose between different vaccines (at least between Pfizer and AstraZeneca). I can't decide which one is better to choose though..

Vaccination for those under 30s starts on the 10th of May in Poland. Will try to book my vaccination appointment in a couple of days :cool: a colleague of mine has already booked it and said it was possible to choose between different vaccines (at least between Pfizer and AstraZeneca). I can't decide which one is better to choose though..
If I had had the choice it would be the Pfizer one because of the better efficacy compared to AZ. As a woman you may be better off choosing ithe Pfizer one, if you do get the choice because of the slightly increased risk of the blood clotting with Oxford AZ. Of course speak to your own Dr who would know your own medical history better. And i am only commenting from my own reading and experience of having the AZ jab. The important thing is both vaccines will keep you out of hospital if you were ever to catch it.

Can't help but feel we'll **** it up somehow though - probably by relaxing international travels rules too much too soon, while many countries are going through a torrid time atm
We are making harder but it's October time when we may need to bring in a few things.
Hopefully all outside stuff OK just indoors maybe masks lower capacity.
As always only my thoughts only.

If I had had the choice it would be the Pfizer one because of the better efficacy compared to AZ. As a woman you may be better off choosing ithe Pfizer one, if you do get the choice because of the slightly increased risk of the blood clotting with Oxford AZ. Of course speak to your own Dr who would know your own medical history better. And i am only commenting from my own reading and experience of having the AZ jab. The important thing is both vaccines will keep you out of hospital if you were ever to catch it.
A correct reply however the Phizer does on second jab make ladies feel especially bad.
(Mrsduncanb coordinator of daft or important info re jabs at her surgery 40k patients. )
But agree overall Phizer for ladies under 40 is a better bet to save against small chance of blood clot risk however most contraceptive pills have a higher risk of clots to put into perspective.

TBH, and purely for the UK - it's not the "original" version of Covid we need to be worried about now.
Our numbers are low, and our vaccination rate is high - especially in those most in need of protecting. We can't start thinking about herd immunity yet, especially with the targetted vaccine roll-out; but we've got it nailed in the at-risk groups.
Opening up too soon - especially high-risk social opening - for pubs, parties etc; will see a new wave, but it should be mostly "contained" amongst the young and healthy - there will be deaths, there will be hospitalisations, there will be social and economic impact - but we should be talking about 10s of deaths, not 1,000s.

What worries me now (again, purely for the UK) is the variants. We need to be doing everything we can, to get as much of the world's population immunised as possible - which includes charity, it includes education - especially combating anti-vax sentiments, and vaccine hesitancy in general, it includes exporting expertise.
The more humans carrying and spreading the virus, the more mutations will occur, and more likely it mutates nastily (it really has been on "easy mode" so far, with an easily identifiable spike protein, death by soap, and starvation by social distancing), or mutate around the current vaccines (if that spike protein becomes less essential to it, then we're screwed).

ETA: This may be starting already - though the article is geo-locked for me (therefore I'm quoting from elsewhere, and get at any nuance - eg. do they mean actual hard numbers? or as a percentage, no that the older populations are generally immunised?; it looks like the former, but I can't get my teeth into it) - it' also media, not scientific publication:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...e-serious-cases-on-the-rise-in-younger-adults

Hospitals filled with younger, sicker people

Across the country, the influx of younger patients with COVID-19 has startled clinicians who describe hospital beds filled with patients, many of whom appear sicker than what was seen during previous waves of the pandemic.

"A lot of them are requiring ICU care," says Dr. Michelle Barron, head of infection prevention and control at UCHealth, one of Colorado's large hospital systems, as compared with earlier in the pandemic.

Last edited:
Needles - it's a pretty common one.
I've been known to faint and/or cry at the flu jab, and am always a "strong responder" for side effects - which is probably the nocebo effect (though it's possible I'm just a strong responder).
I learned dry needling (Western acupuncture) in an attempt to acclimatise myself and get over it - I improved, but not remotely cured. Gave up doing it 11 years ago, so I'm full-on terrible now.

Yesterday, I had a bit of a fight on my hands as I'm self-employed, so they couldn't tick the box that said "showed employment certificate"; but they allowed me. They had a station set up explicitly for those with phobias, so I got a bed rather than a chair, and 2 nurses, one to inject and one to distract. I managed not to faint, but it was a close-run thing when I got up off the bed.

Bus felt like a petri dish - it was clean in and of itself... for a bus; but the group of teenagers who came and sat behind me with masks over their chin, and coughing / pretending to cough all the time for a bit of a laugh. Did the whole strip in the garden, and straight into the shower thing on getting home.
2nd jab just received.
I did well, brief rush of adrenaline as I entered the hospital; but the phobia generally failed to materialise today.
Bus was fine, despite being busier than 12 weeks ago - no pair of seat had more than 1 person in it, everyone was masked and the windows were open for ventilation. The only problem today was the return journey bus being about 20 minutes late (and I was about an hour early, just missing the earlier bus) - Kingsholm is not the nicest neck of the woods to stand around randomly waiting for a bus.

Now we wait and see if I get any adverse effects - I've booked tomorrow off work; and I've cried off from walking rugby tonight, as you just know I'd be receiving lots of aggressive tackles to my left upper arm otherwise.

I must say, my wifi strength seems to have improved, and I saw an ad for those new SurfaceGo tablets - looks good...

2nd jab just received.
I did well, brief rush of adrenaline as I entered the hospital; but the phobia generally failed to materialise today.
Bus was fine, despite being busier than 12 weeks ago - no pair of seat had more than 1 person in it, everyone was masked and the windows were open for ventilation. The only problem today was the return journey bus being about 20 minutes late (and I was about an hour early, just missing the earlier bus) - Kingsholm is not the nicest neck of the woods to stand around randomly waiting for a bus.

Now we wait and see if I get any adverse effects - I've booked tomorrow off work; and I've cried off from walking rugby tonight, as you just know I'd be receiving lots of aggressive tackles to my left upper arm otherwise.

I must say, my wifi strength seems to have improved, and I saw an ad for those new SurfaceGo tablets - looks good...
I had fewer side effects after 2nd Oxford AZ jab. Bruised arm after 24 hours And a bit of fatigue Again, which I just slept off. But thankfully no headaches this time.

Started to book my vaccine appointment today through the Polish government site.. found 4 different vaccines in the list,but finally only two of them were available (AZ and Prizer). There were only 2 places for Pfizer and around 8 for AZ for the next two weeks,but while I was thinking of the time I wanted to book (around 2 minutes), almost everything was booked and I managed to get the last available AZ in two weeks..:( I wanted Pfizer more,though

Started to book my vaccine appointment today through the Polish government site.. found 4 different vaccines in the list,but finally only two of them were available (AZ and Prizer). There were only 2 places for Pfizer and around 8 for AZ for the next two weeks,but while I was thinking of the time I wanted to book (around 2 minutes), almost everything was booked and I managed to get the last available AZ in two weeks..:( I wanted Pfizer more,though
My sister has had it (she's in her 40s), my mum's had it (70s) had both AZ jabs, I know two women at work in their late 40s/early 50s had it and they were all fine. Just need to remind yourself to get it will protect you against the most severe effects of Covid and importantly out of hospital.

After 1st dose the efficacy is 76%- 79% and then goes up to 82% after second dose. Still, excellent when you compare it to the normal flu jab which is only around 50% effective. https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-c...the-primary-analysis-of-phase-iii-trials.html

Has anyone noticed, after their first dose of the vaccine, that their fitness has decreased?

I had my vaccine on Saturday, headache on the Sunday but ears have kept on popping since.

Prior to the jab I was running 5KM at an average of 4"45/KM, now I am struggling to hit 5"05/KM

Latest posts