• Ben Smith

• Connor Murray

• Owen Farrell

• Kieran Read

• Dane Coles

• Someone Else

• Aaron Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.
If he had an international career to speak of I'd be tempted to say Charles Piutau makes it instead of Ioane.
Same goes for McKenzie.

Personally I rank him and Barrett as the best two backs in the world. It's a credit to the All Blacks depth that they can NOT play McKenzie until recently because of how loaded they are purely because of fears of a size mismatch that have never really actually happened, but seem worrying on paper.

If he had an international career to speak of I'd be tempted to say Charles Piutau makes it instead of Ioane.
Same goes for McKenzie.

Personally I rank him and Barrett as the best two backs in the world. It's a credit to the All Blacks depth that they can NOT play McKenzie until recently because of how loaded they are purely because of fears of a size mismatch that have never really actually happened, but seem worrying on paper.

Same goes for McKenzie.

Had a bit of a mare against the Argie Bargies though didn't he.

Same goes for McKenzie.

I find Mckenzie a bit flaky IMO, I think the word is Mercurial, a world class talent prone to the odd mishap...

Hogg. Big statement that.

He's got everything & has been consistently brilliant (often in relatively average teams) for years now. Thought he was destined to be one of the stars of the Lions tour but then he got injured early on so probably still hasn't had that breakout moment on the world stage. Great under the high ball, huge boot on him, superb at picking lines, very quick, plays with a bit of edge, really consistent, capable of creating something out of nothing... I'm happy with Hogg as my 15!

He's got everything & has been consistently brilliant (often in relatively average teams) for years now. Thought he was destined to be one of the stars of the Lions tour but then he got injured early on so probably still hasn't had that breakout moment on the world stage. Great under the high ball, huge boot on him, superb at picking lines, very quick, plays with a bit of edge, really consistent, capable of creating something out of nothing... I'm happy with Hogg as my 15!

I agree with most of everything you've said but my argument would be that defensively he still has a fair bit of work to do to be a world class 15.

All largely true, but you've put him in ahead of Ben Smith, who IMO is the best back in the world, certainly the best fullback. Hogg is definitely a very good player though. Am I right in saying he's been the 6 Nations player of the tournament the last 2 years running?

Had a bit of a mare against the Argie Bargies though didn't he.
Not really. The missed high-balls have overshadowed the fact that he actually played very well. In the 1st half he was excellent.
He was as dangerous as ever on attack... cut through the line to set up the first try, scored one himself and had another disallowed. Defensively he was good and he had a very good work rate.
There were 4 high balls across the 80 minutes that he didn't deal with, which is bad, but they were mostly due to the positioning of the ABs back 3, not his incompetence in the air. The kicks were short and the back 3 were deep, so he had to run a mile to get to 3 of them and was beaten to the punch. Some of them probably weren't even his catches. One of them definitely was and you'd expect him to take it, but other than that I don't think he was as bad as what has been made out. He never actually lost any of the catches forward, was just beaten to the punch due to positioning like I said, which I'm sure the coaches will have rectified for this week. Generally speaking he is very good under the high ball, so I don't see it being an issue going forward.

Last edited:
All largely true, but you've put him in ahead of Ben Smith, who IMO is the best back in the world, certainly the best fullback. Hogg is definitely a very good player though. Am I right in saying he's been the 6 Nations player of the tournament the last 2 years running?

Yup. Ben Smith is now 31 and not always AB first pick at fullback. He has a vastly superior supporting cast too whereas Hogg plays on a team at both club and country where his pack is routinely second best and his side starved of quick ball and involved in sustained defensive duty.

I'd put Tuculet, Smith and Hogg as my top 3 by some distance personally, (followed by Liam Williams and Folau). I don't think anyone else gets in the conversation yet (as much as I love DMac at club level).

I'd probably give Smith the nod in my 23 because he can play across the backline and the other two can't. But for me Hogg is the superior fullback.

I put Elliot Daly and Anthony Watson in my team both in their regular club position's 13 & 15, I personally think if they both played there for England rather than on the wings then both would be involved in the 'best in the world' in their position debate...

Yup. Ben Smith is now 31 and not always AB first pick at fullback.
If Smith wasn't on sabbatical he would be first choice fullback, no questions. The only reason Dmac started at 15 in the 2 bledisloes with Smith on the wing was to prepare for Smith's departure.
I'd probably give Smith the nod in my 23 because he can play across the backline and the other two can't. But for me Hogg is the superior fullback.
I think Smith is the perfect FB and had his best year ever last year. He missed a lot of this year due to injury, but always looked class when he did play and IMO still stands alone as the worlds best FB. I'd put Hogg and Folau in a pretty close battle for the 2nd best. Respect your opinion, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one lol

I think some was to actually try to give McKenzie an opportunity at that level as well.

It says a lot about Smith that he's pretty much had that position locked down with how well McKenzie has played at Super Rugy level in previous years as well.

I don't think there's ever been a player as potentially brilliant as McKenzie, with as good form as he has had at club level, frozen out of an international squad for this long.

I don't think there's ever been a player as potentially brilliant as McKenzie, with as good form as he has had at club level, frozen out of an international squad for this long.

Tipuric? Took him a long time to break into the Welsh starting 15, and even now I get the feeling Gats would prefer to start Warbs at 7 with Lydiate or Moriarty at 6. I believe that if Tips was a NZer or English etc., he'd be a star of the world game by now.

I put Elliot Daly and Anthony Watson in my team both in their regular club position's 13 & 15, I personally think if they both played there for England rather than on the wings then both would be involved in the 'best in the world' in their position debate...

Don't think Daly's anywhere near this discussion, in any position, TBH. Watson's certainly in the mix though.

I believe that if Tips was a NZer or English etc., he'd be a star of the world game by now.

Eng would never have picked him either.

I wouldn't know if this might approximate anything close to an actual 'world 23' but if I were given free reign and could slam together a team for myself (some obvious bias and guys I just love watching play rugby);

1 Steven Kitshoff (Ginger makes the yards every single time and can SCRUM!)
2 Dane Coles (Schalk Brits 2.0)
3 WP Nel (The one that got away)
4 Eben Etzebeth (Auto pick for any Stormers fan)
5 Lood de Jager (Family stick together)
6 Siya Kolisi (See #4)
7 Michael Hooper (Just such a pest- I'd rather have him in than against)
8 Duane Vermeulen (because I want turn over ball and some extra grunt)
9 Aaron Smith (Best service around)
10 Beauden Barrett
11 James Lowe (I just cannot believe he isn't playing test rugby)
12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Those thighs get me excited)
13 Jordie Barrett (Seen enough to confidently buy in)
14 Dillyn Leyds (In my fantasies I see him fulfilling prophecies alongside DMC and Lowe )
15 Damian McKenzie

16 Schalk Brits
17 Thomas du Toit
18 Charlie Faumuina
19 Brodie Retallick
20 Marcel Coetzee
21 TJ Perenara
22 Kurtley Beale
23 Ben Smith

Latest posts