• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do todays players juice up?

At 16, you should not be training like a professional though. That's my point.

It's unnatural, a 16 year old body isn't build for it. At that age the body is still growing and changing, it shouldn't be disrupted by extra levels of protein.

You wouldn't advocate drinking alcohol to a 13 year old, because their liver is not able to cope with it at the age. Putting strain on the muscles while they are still growing is not a good thing, but clearly this is just my opinion.

At 16, you should not be training like a professional though. That's my point.

It's unnatural, a 16 year old body isn't build for it. At that age the body is still growing and changing, it shouldn't be disrupted by extra levels of protein.

You wouldn't advocate drinking alcohol to a 13 year old, because their liver is not able to cope with it at the age. Putting strain on the muscles while they are still growing is not a good thing, but clearly this is just my opinion.
[/b]
Its more a 17 year old as my birthday is in about a week..

but my body is perfectly fine with the weights i do, hell they even reccomend that you dont start weight training until after you are 12 or 13 years old, its really not that bad..

If that is really your opinion then i simply ask you to read up on some fitness sites/magazines.

Training like a profession at 16 is not the way to go, of course it's not.
Hell, i couldn't even take training like a professional and i'm 24! But you are right about a 16 year old training that hard. It shouldn't be done and neither do i condone it.
I'm simply telling DC to push himself.
He'll be nowhere near the level of a pro.

A protein shake a day isn't exactly over-dosing on protein.
If he's working out then he's using protein to aid his workout and musclar development. Because he is using these protein fibres he needs to replace what was used in order to restore balance.

Honestly, a protein shake is basically a liquid form of eating, say, another chicken breast in your day.
Raising and lowering your levels of protein, carbs, sugars occur everday.
If you were to add another meal to your diet then it's not exactly gonna have an illeffect on your body. If your training, then your body is going to appreciate it and use it to benefit you.

Protein shake is NOT a meal replacement, but it is a quick and effective alternative to having to eat for the purpose of aiding your muscles in recovery.
It's all about sustainance. It's all about biology. And it's all healthy, whether you're 16 or 80.

Yeah I know nothing, ignore me.

I haven't seen anyone I know put themselves out of rugby for life by pushing their body too hard too early.

Nope.

I haven't seen anyone admitted to hospital for overuse of shakes et al (not supplements apparently)

As for the need for protein - eat more red meat!

Copy the training of professional players at your age and you'll end up in the same situation as Jonny Wilkinson, crippled by injury in your mid-twenties.
[/b]

You can push yourself to hard to early, but just lifting isnt going to injure you unless your doing it so wrong that it does.

Jonny wasnt injured because of training... hell his injuries are what, Neck, Knees? Thats not as a result of training though.

Studs catching and neck being pushed into a wrong position to create a injury arent exactly a result of training

Jonny wasnt injured because of training... hell his injuries are what, Neck, Knees? Thats not as a result of training though.
[/b]

He screwed up a major muscle in leg because he spent too much time practising kicking. I kid you not.

yea his groin, i forgot about that

but even he said it was because of his technique, it put to much strain on it.. nothing to do with training

well, i take protein supplements and eat loads of red meat... and i am still alive..... lol...

you'd be supprised at what a constant protein shake/creatin mix can do for you. The summer before my junior year of college football, I did nothing but work out, take in loads of protein and the suggested doses of creatin. I put on over 35 lbs of muscle in just 3 months. All my weight max's went up and I felt on top of the world at the start of the season.
Supplements are essential to maximizing your workout. I would never suggest that anyone mess with anything that has to do with testosterone boosting, though. Leave that crap alone...it will only harm you in the end.

My nutrition consists more in trying to eat as much as possible and as healthy as possible. I take my protein in from natural products as opposed to the powders (I figure I can wait a bit). Right now I train to strengthen the joints more then actually gain weight at least to strengthen the knees. What is really getting athletes in general is the drive to get big and quick without paying attention to the smaller details, I agree that training hard is essential to make it to the top, I myself train 4 days a week deadlift or squat on each day with a short chest and arms session at the end. My cardio is done on fridays with some interval training and short sprints while carrying a ball. Right now I'm a light *******, and I continue to train. all this to say that both sides of this argument have a point. I would hesitate to use powders too extensively at 16, (remember to drink alot of water or else you get kidney stones) the essential is a good diet and a firm base to really start building muscle when you're older.

There is nothing wrong with supplements and weight training. The game would not be advancing if players did not train their bodies to play better. Supplements are not bad either. They are just to supplement their diet to make sure players are getting the right nutrition. And whoever posted that the stregnth and size of players is making it difficult for others to cope with, that is a silly comment. If they are not dedicated or motivated to improve their skill and body to be able to cope with others, why play the game? :eek:

My nutrition consists more in trying to eat as much as possible and as healthy as possible. I take my protein in from natural products as opposed to the powders (I figure I can wait a bit). Right now I train to strengthen the joints more then actually gain weight at least to strengthen the knees. What is really getting athletes in general is the drive to get big and quick without paying attention to the smaller details, I agree that training hard is essential to make it to the top, I myself train 4 days a week deadlift or squat on each day with a short chest and arms session at the end. My cardio is done on fridays with some interval training and short sprints while carrying a ball. Right now I'm a light *******, and I continue to train. all this to say that both sides of this argument have a point. I would hesitate to use powders too extensively at 16, (remember to drink alot of water or else you get kidney stones) the essential is a good diet and a firm base to really start building muscle when you're older.
[/b]

Dude if your scared of drinking protein shakes stop eating. Protein shakes will not give you kidney stones. Any protein not absorb gets crapped out and protein is essential in building and repairing muscle. Supplements which players take such as Creatine if not used correctly can damage kidneys. But as you said drinking enough water with creatine prevents it. But protein powder is not something to be affraid of using. Parents will be hesitant of aggreeing with your use of it because there is this thought that if it isnt natural it will harm you. Not saying you should use it but im saying dont be affraid to.

you'd be supprised at what a constant protein shake/creatin mix can do for you. The summer before my junior year of college football, I did nothing but work out, take in loads of protein and the suggested doses of creatin. I put on over 35 lbs of muscle in just 3 months. All my weight max's went up and I felt on top of the world at the start of the season.
Supplements are essential to maximizing your workout. I would never suggest that anyone mess with anything that has to do with testosterone boosting, though. Leave that crap alone...it will only harm you in the end.
[/b]

Ive been on protein/carb mix and creatine for the last 8 months now and put on roughly 10kg. Something else which will help is multi vitamins. I agree with you on the Test booster aswell, especially during teen years no need to use it as your body produces heaps of testosterone.

I actually agree fully on the points raised re- overtraining and starting with weights at a too early age. I was actually guilty of exactly the same thing in my mid-teens, hence I ended up carrying some dodgy knees and a crocked shoulder into my early twenties- and my form dipped as a consequence. Wrt creatine and protein supplements- did you know that at the recommended creatine dosage, you are actually consuming the equivalent of 7kg of red meat? This is an actual fact- I researched the subject extensively while studying pharmacy, and fortunately stopped using the stuff early in my twenties.

Does anyone remember the old Bok skipper Corne Krige? He ended up suffering from acute kidney failure at the tender age of 29, the reason being over-zealous use of creatine.

Look, I`m not against weight training at all- but rather start with it in your very late teens or preferably early twenties, once you have stopped growing in height. Until that time, rather use your own body-weight in exercise- doing loads of sets of chin-ups, push-ups and dips will certainly improve your overall strength to exactly the same effect.

Once you start with weight training, also do your major strength work in the off-season, and rather look at using strength exercises eg the squat and the clean&jerk, as opposed to purely building bulk with exercises like the bench-press or the bicep curls.

yea creatine can be nasty ****

i know some guys who were on it for american football, they got bigger but it wasnt all muscle, as you have to drink tons of water with it they gained fat and water weight

i wouldnt use it, its somewhat beneficial but not as good as protein in my opinion.. whey protein is the best to use.

actually to respond to above about not eating at all. When you use protein, there is a deposit of uric acid which comes out in your urine. too much of this substance without any water todilute causes stones. It's not the only thing that can build up in your kidneys with poor hydration. but drinking water becomes more of an issue when you pack more nutrients into your body. I have seen people on protein supplements develop some pretty serious illnesses due to malnutrition, caused by the protein supplements? maybe not so much, but if the use of the supplements begins replacing meals, then it's a bad thing. and trust me, that can happen.

yea creatine can be nasty ****

i know some guys who were on it for american football, they got bigger but it wasnt all muscle, as you have to drink tons of water with it they gained fat and water weight

i wouldnt use it, its somewhat beneficial but not as good as protein in my opinion.. whey protein is the best to use.
[/b]
Use both together...
Protein helps build muscle, creatin aids in recovery time and maximizing energy usage, and water retention.
Using them together has great benifits.
Creatin will cause you to put on water weight, and will give you gas at first!

actually to respond to above about not eating at all. When you use protein, there is a deposit of uric acid which comes out in your urine. too much of this substance without any water todilute causes stones. It's not the only thing that can build up in your kidneys with poor hydration. but drinking water becomes more of an issue when you pack more nutrients into your body. I have seen people on protein supplements develop some pretty serious illnesses due to malnutrition, caused by the protein supplements? maybe not so much, but if the use of the supplements begins replacing meals, then it's a bad thing. and trust me, that can happen.
[/b]

Yes but noone should even think about supplements if their diet is poor. You are more then likely correct, but it is easily avoided if you have a good diet. Thats what i was getting at before about not being afraid, becaue if you have a good diet and get all the right vitamins and minerals the protein is only going to work to your benifit. Its if you decide to drink soft drink, junk foods, take away on a regular basis your diet is going to start screwing with your body and the added protein isnt going to used to its full potential then problems start appearing because of an uneven balance in your body.

My cousin Brent Kite took me to train with the Manly Sea Eagles and they are professional.
[/b]

:eek:

WTF :eek:

Tell him to come back to the RAIDERS!!!!!

:wall:

:cryy:

LOL well Hes from Canberra so it would make sense aye, But Canberra didnt look after him very well, especially after the Inj. St George Gave him his chance to shine.Now with Manly hes starting to get some Honors so I think Manly is best right now.

just another example of how the Raiders breed them, and bleed them

Hopeless management......when we lost Wiki, the whole fanbase lost faith in upper management.

Nothing wrong with lifting at all

Been doing it since I was 16 not just for rugby but for ice hockey aswell.

I'm not a big guy either 5'11 180lbs

I put 20lbs on from the gym and those 20lbs allowed me to be able to compete in university rugby. Also I am 19 and am in the military and without strength training and the gym I would not be able to hack my job as an infanteer.

Not that it matter cuz my back and joints are all gonna be shot by the time I'm 30 anyways god I love the army :-D

Latest posts