• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Cricket 2007

I'm usually more than competitive with both those guys. Dave's probably the more difficult to deal with though, usually. He must have been really rusty, come to think of it rustiness effects David and Andrew more than me. I never forget how to play a game when I've played it more than half a dozen times.

I'm seriously thinking about getting an Xbox 360. If it comes down to around 699 for the 20gb unit, then I'm almost certain to.

If you spot any good deals on 360's, then please post up!

Just in case anyone didn't know... this is out in the UK now.

Saw it but didn't buy it... definitely going to try it first this time round!

Yeah, well I have it. On PS2. It's a world better than '05. Still room for improvement, but I'm getting to like it quite a lot!

Completed three Ashes scenarios, they're a bit of fun really. I've so far changed about 60 names to their real ones.

They really didn't license many this year, did they?

yeah i have it on pc as well, i like it LOTS more that 05. still its just a filler til blic comes out. but have been pretty much playing it to death :)

I dont know what has made this version better than the others, apart from the batting is easier, but it is more enjoyable

the "semi automatic" fielding is pointless though and my controller doesnt support the "century stick" feature but other than that i am still liking it.

i dont know how to do the "special" bowling though

Bowl three or four dot balls and then you'll fill the bowling meter. Once thats done you'll be able to use a special delivery.

The batting seems almost too easy. Mind you, I'm playing on 3 out of 5 star difficulty. I've scored a century with Stephen Fleming.

I posted my review on planetcricket.net........

YABR (Yet another bloody review!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth heres my take on EA sports cricket 07 (PS2 version)....

My background: Been playing cricket video games for many years now, and have many bald patches where I have pulled clumps out to prove it! For the time period the original Shane Warne/BLC for PS1 was for me the game that seemed to be taking the genre onto the right track (many a good nights cricket with that game!). However since then we have had HB studios bumbling along with the EA sports cricket franchise, and recently BLC was resurrected with a new version that brought fresh ideas, but with a poorly implemented AI and restricted gameplay. So I looked forward to cricket 07 and it's new "century stick", but in the back of my mind overall expectations were low.

1. Options/gameplay modes (8/10): Most of the modes you would expect in a cricket game are there, however nothing too different from previous versions. One day competitions, 20/20, English and Aussie domestic cricket, world cup etc. The Ashes takes centre stage in this version. A point off for not having something really "fresh" added such as a career mode or management mode found in other EA sports games.

2. Graphics (5/10): Adequate though not up to the standard of other EA sports games, and certainly not what is expected of todays games. Some of the player animations just look plain awkward. Fielders throwing for instance is just plain awful. Players faces are either good or very bad. Animation 'glitches' abound. Crowds are too big, fields too small - the whole thing looks out of porportion. Bearable if gameplay is good.........

3. Gameplay (3/10): Well, where does one start?! Overall unless you are more forgiving then the Pope you will be most disappointed this year. Old problems remain whilst new ones have been added. Edges are a great addition until you realise they are pretty random - you are kidding yourself if you think some sort of bowling 'pattern' makes edges more likely. The century stick is almost as restricted as normal shot selection, and has been 'overstated' by HB studios as a new gimmick to get suckers like me to buy the game again. For instance hitting square leg side I hit the advertising boards in the same two places over and over (regardless if hitting the ball late/early/ideal). The 'variable shot power' part of the century stick is made redundant by the ease of hitting boundaries (especially sixes) and the limited lines the ball runs along. In fact you are punished for making 'ideal' timed shots as these tend to always go to the fielder, and still get edges to the keeper/slips. I would have thought ideally timed shots would be more likely to 'pierce' the field - not the case here. Even on the hardest level you can hit an average of 4/6 balls over the leg side fence - regardless of the type of delivery being bowled at you/batsmans confidence. In fact on the hardest level you will tend to play just about every ball legside because you can, and also to avoid the 'random' nicks you get when playing shots outside off stump. Bowling is a lottery and uninteresting with the computer seemingly being able to play impossible shots (ie. backfoot drives out of the ground) whenever the need arises. I could go on and on, but I don't have the room........

4. Sound (2/10): It's like they forgot to add the crowd noise or something leaving the game with absolutely NO atmosphere - just the same generic noise in the background regardless of what is happening on the field! You never feel you are playing at different world grounds as the sound is totally generic. The commentary is terrible, a new commentator is added (a bonus, and worth 2 points alone) but Richie's old commentary from previous versions remains (zzzzzz). If Ritchie says again "thats gone straight to the fielder" I will scream! I bowled a maiden over and he said this exact line 6 times in a row!! The commentary is full of glitches as well. Vetori got a wicket only for the commentator to say that 'Franks' (Franklin) had got his third wicket - Franklin already had 3 wickets anyhow!

5. Computer AI (3/10): Was this even playtested? The bowler bowls 5/6 balls fullish (boring!!!!!) which are easily dispatched over the legside fence (an old problem). When batting the computer will continue to play the same shot over and over regardless of field placement. The old problem when you bowl full outside off stump remains where the computer will hit the ball repeatedly down deep extra cover's throat (on the hardest level I got 7 wickets in this fashion). The need for you to change your field placements is non existant due to the fact the computer controlled batsman hits it either straight to your existing fielders or else over the fence! LBW's are not properly implemented in the game as they are VERY hard to get for both player and computer even though I've had numerous 'plum' decisions not given for me or against me. Computer batting pacing is all wrong, and even though you pound the bowler through exactly the same area of the field it is VERY slow to 'plug the gap'(if it actually does). Batting with Fleming in English county cricket he started out right handed, before reverting a couple of overs later to a left handed batsman?

Of course you could 'handicap' yourself by implementing house rules, but for one you shouldn't have to do that because of poor programing, and secondly cricket is all about exploiting opposition weaknesses.

Overall (21/50 or 42%): Unless watching paint dry is your thing avoid like the plague! This will neither attract new players to the genre or satisfy cricket video game veterans. Development time was extremely short and unfortunately it shows. The game appears half finished and rushed to be out in time for the ashes series. Old problems remain, and new one's have been created - these would have been picked up easily if this thing was actually playtested. The 'century stick' is gimmicky, and no where near as comprehensive as discribed by the developer. Overall the developer has failed to immerse us into the game and the numerous gameplay problems/gliches/exploits are unforgivable.

Best to continue playing 'stick cricket' and wait for the new BLC to arrive with fingers (and toes) crossed.

nope just pc and ps2

42% i'd give it about that as well, but still its the most playable cricket game out there at the moment (blc on the sega isnt an option as its on mega drive and back in christchurch)

Lovely stuff there NZL Fan

I can with confidence say without even seeing this game in action - it is utter tripe

Looking forward to BLIC07 on X360 even moreso now

I'm sure BLIC will be the winner, although Cricket 07 is nowhere near as bad as last year.

Still not a good game though.

I'd say not a great game. It's good, but certainly not great. I'd probably give it about a 60%. Playing on 5 star is very good, but quite hard. Remember with century stick you shouldn't smack it all the time. Just a slight push of the analog stick - particularly in test - will get you singles and twos as required.

Also have you tried out the behind batsman view. It feels so much better than any other camera when batting and means you get part of the experience.

This is probably one of the most enjoyable single player cricket games in a long time and is a lot better than the last installment. It's certainly not the best cricket game ever though, that ***le goes to BLIC 05.

Also, can't wait for a cricket and/or game on the Wii. That'll make me get it!

Also, can't wait for a cricket and/or game on the Wii. That'll make me get it!
[/b]

i havent considered the wii at all, but if they make cricket with that wand - anything to help my real life game........ :p .....then Nintendo may get my $$

even bowling........would love to STEAM IN from the hallway!!!!!!!!

i saw an add for the wii with a bowler and a batter, just a guy bowling and a guy batting. so will be interesting if there is a cricket game

I might get a wii for my birthday. the wii launches here in nz about 5 days before it so if there are some decent game out for it will get it for sure. and yeah a game like cricket I think would work well with the wiimote. looks like ea cricket 07 is shaping up one to miss. I think I will continue with blic 05 until 07 comes out

good stuff mate, i havnt checked it but will when i get back from holiday

thats not til the new year o_O

Latest posts