• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EDF ENERGY ANGLO-WELSH CUP

L

loratadine

well its back, and it was interesting to here kingsley jones on scrum v saying that the english sides will be taking it alot more seriously this year because of the amount of money involved in it, kingsley actually said that sale will field a full strength side for the home games against newcastle falcons and the llanelli scarlets.

three matches on this weekend

friday there ospreys vs gloucester.

now the ospreys need to start performing, the squad theyve got should be able to match anyones in the world, just poor management at the moment. Gavin Henson was one of the rare players to stand out against ulster, and made a few decent breaks. its a tough one to call with gloucester flying high but i expect a close win for the ospreys, 24-19

wasps vs blues

this one being at the arms park, i can see the blues winning this one, wasps are commited to retaining there ***le, but against a strong blues side infront of a fierce home support i think the blues will win.

blues 28
wasps 17

scarlets vs nec harlequins

the way the scarlets are playing is very daunting for any world class side let alone a side as poor as nec harlequins, if dwayne peel is fit then id expect a cricket score, ummm im going to say

scarlets 42
harlequins 14

And I guess the Dragons don't count?????

By the way we'll be lucky if just the Scarlets win next weekend, the Ospreys and Blues will seriously have to play better to even stand a chance of winning. As for the Dragons, I'll just be happy if we lose by less than 30 points!

Yet still not one Englishman gives 2 shits about this mickey mouse of a tournament.

its a tough one to call with gloucester flying high but i expect a close win for the ospreys, 24-19
[/b]

If the Ospreys play like they did against Ulster (and assuming Dean Ryan actually takes the match seriously) then Gloucester will rip them a new hole.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see a weakened Quins team get thrashed at Stradey Park though, because as Teh Mite said, no one who is English really cares about the competition.

no, maybe the fans dont which is a shame, because wales and england is the oldest and the best rivalry in england, im in no doubt that if the english put there passion and energy behind it then this tournament could be a massive thing, but until they start respecting the welsh as opposition that aint going to happen.

no, maybe the fans dont which is a shame, because wales and england is the oldest and the best rivalry in england, im in no doubt that if the english put there passion and energy behind it then this tournament could be a massive thing, but until they start respecting the welsh as opposition that aint going to happen.
[/b]

It's not about any lack of respect for the Welsh as opposition. The fact is that compared to the Guinness Premiership and European Cup competitions, this holds no romance or tangable reward for clubs. The season is long enough as it is, and for those teams battling it out on two fronts already it is simply seen as an annoyance and opportunity to rest key men.

Plus the majority of English rugby fans (myself included) are unhappy that the opportunity for lower league clubs to meet the big guns has been removed.

It's the equivilent of the FA Cup being thrown out in football and replaced by a knockout competition with only the Premiership teams, plus Celtic, Rangers and Total Network Solutions thrown in.

Quite frankly there is no point, as the majority of clubs meet often enough as it is anyway, and it totally removes the highlight of playing teams from across the border in the Heineken Cup.

I also agree that there is a lack of interest from the English regarding this competition.

I suspect Quins will get hammered by the Scarlets, but I also suspect neither they nor the Quins fans will really care, as long as no-one picks up any injuries. Premiership survival is worth far more to Quins than winning a diluted Euro cup.

Also, as a supporter of a weaker English team, I don't feel there is anything for Quins in the tournament, as let's face it, they would need to win 4 matches against premiership standard teams to win the cup - which ain't gonna happen!
Bring back the old style cup, as not only did you give lower division English clubs the chance to cause an upset (e.g. the Bees stinging Wasps - sorry!), you also gave weaker premiership teams the chance to have a good couple of draws and end up at Twickenham (e.g. Leeds, Quins, Irish and Newcastle in the last few years) - whereas the current format favours the stronger clubs.

i do see what you mean, it would be nice if they could have put more thought into it, maybe a knockout comp ala the old english cup, just with the regions thrown in would have been alot better.

what do you think??

i do see what you mean, it would be nice if they could have put more thought into it, maybe a knockout comp ala the old english cup, just with the regions thrown in would have been alot better.

what do you think??
[/b]

Only if the regions were placed in at the first round stage and faced away trips to Mosely and West Hartlepool... ;)

but of course.

i think it would be well good, seeing gavin henson lace up at some dump in lancashire.

I feel this cup needs an FA Cup Style..... Where you have the National League 1 sides competing, so that there is likely to be the chance of an upset... and maybe also include the equivilant teams from wales... (sorry dont know whats under the Celtic League)...

Do we want a forum for this topic???

The isn't anything 'under' the Celtic League, it's like the NFL or Super 14, some players play for them as well as the premiership teams like Newport, Aberavon, Cardiff, Llanelli, Neath, Bridgend and Swansea etc.

Llandovery, Ebbw Vale, Cross Keys, Pontypridd, Pontypool, Masteg, Bedwas and Glamorgan Wanderers

It's strange that the the Anglo-Welsh Rugby Union cup is called in such a way...

I don't trust competitions with group stages where you play certain teams at home and others away. It's just not a truly fair way of doing it.

The UEFA Cup is a shambles why copy it?

PS Cymro...isn't it milking it a bit to claim Wales did the Grand Slam, Triple Crown and were Six Nations champions. Wouldn't Grand Slam on it's own cover it?

who cares, stop going on about it

i mean why bring it up

your 31, does it really bother you tht much, like the english have never milked something 1966 anyone?

grow up mate

ospreys 49
glouscester 19

gavin henson played really well, scored a nice try and wrapped up 24 pts.

Latest posts