• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh v Leinster

Has Nacewa really been that good? He drops a lot of ball and his tactical kicking is poor. He's an excellent couter attacking runner and good defender which is why I'd have him in the first choice team but on the wing rather than at fullback. That way his wayward kicking and, at times, fielding are minimised.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Has Nacewa really been that good? He drops a lot of ball and his tactical kicking is poor. He's an excellent couter attacking runner and good defender which is why I'd have him in the first choice team but on the wing rather than at fullback. That way his wayward kicking and, at times, fielding are minimised.[/b]

Snoopy you just summed it up perfectly.
When he first came and was tried at 10 it was obvious his attributes didnt match that but he is a very good runner but think he has been 1 of the star players for Leinster early on when Leinster needed their experienced players.
But who do ye reckon is 1st choice hooker is this year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When he first came and was tried at 10 it was obvious his attributes didnt match that but he is a very good runner but think he has been 1 of the star players for Leinster early on when Leinster needed their experienced players.
But who do ye reckon is 1st choice hooker is this year[/b]
If fit, Bernard Jackman is the likely first choice hooker. He's a strong scrummager, excellent ball carrier and stops attackers in their tracks when he's defending. He's prone to the odd brain fart defending around the ruck and while his lineout throwing is much improved on a couple of years ago, he still has some lapses. The positives far outweigh the negatives though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But who do ye reckon is 1st choice hooker is this year[/b]
If fit, Bernard Jackman is the likely first choice hooker. He's a strong scrummager, excellent ball carrier and stops attackers in their tracks when he's defending. He's prone to the odd brain fart defending around the ruck and while his lineout throwing is much improved on a couple of years ago, he still has some lapses. The positives far outweigh the negatives though.
[/b][/quote]

Yes and must agree but think it there that Leinster should invest as if they were to bring in a world-class hooker who could work with up and coming player too as it'd be beneficial as that position is a problem area constantly for Leinster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes and must agree but think it there that Leinster should invest as if they were to bring in a world-class hooker who could work with up and coming player too as it'd be beneficial as that position is a problem area constantly for Leinster[/b]
I strongly disagree with the bolded bit. For the last 15 years Leinster have had Shane Byrne and Bernard Jackman share the #2 jersey for the most part. Both have been more than good enough.

What I do agree with is a new hooker will probably be brought in next season. Jackman's body seems to be breaking down and Fogarty is a good backup but probably not starter material (he's also near the end of his career). Also in the squad are Jason Harris Wright who's probably 2 years from being ready and Richardt Strauss who I know little about. Sean Cronin may b available after this season. He could be subject to a bid from Leinster.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes and must agree but think it there that Leinster should invest as if they were to bring in a world-class hooker who could work with up and coming player too as it'd be beneficial as that position is a problem area constantly for Leinster[/b]
I strongly disagree with the bolded bit. For the last 15 years Leinster have had Shane Byrne and Bernard Jackman share the #2 jersey for the most part. Both have been more than good enough.

What I do agree with is a new hooker will probably be brought in next season. Jackman's body seems to be breaking down and Fogarty is a good backup but probably not starter material (he's also near the end of his career). Also in the squad are Jason Harris Wright who's probably 2 years from being ready and Richardt Strauss who I know little about. Sean Cronin may b available after this season. He could be subject to a bid from Leinster.
[/b][/quote]

I not saying they weren't able for it and i was a massive fan of Byrne but think both were frustrating although i can concede and accept Byrne did give very good account of himself in the green as well as blue but sorry while i agree Jackman is good and always put body online he was just to unpredictable at time which was probably down to 1 thing. - Jackman has never had much success at line-out time and it seemed at times his confidence was affected by this and that spread to his overall game (not all the time) but he is true warrior.

But on Sean Cronin suggestion, I agree he need to move to Munster or Leinster to break in to the IRISH set-up as well as playing at higher level but what a major blow it would be to Connacht

Kearney going well but Cian Healy need to just sort discipline as he has got alot of Sin-Binnings in recent time but is a gift of player.

Berne not playing too well but it 6-6 Leinster still have great chance if they up the gears in 2nd half

EDINBURGH while not being magnificent are playing ok but are there for taking.

Fooking hell! Leinster did their damnedest to throw that one away. In the end Sexton slotted a dg to win for us and Paterson missed with the final kick of the game, straight in front of the posts would ye believe. Geez we're gonna have to work on our defence, far too porous tonight. If we play like that JDV and Mafi will be smiling all the way back to Limerick next week.

Still a win is a win. Top of the table now I think. 21-19 in the end.

EDIT: Nop, second behind Edinburgh

Leinster win 21-19.

Sexton came on and changed game. Great drop at end but in last stages of game Heaslip had moment of madness and gave away a penalty in a great position,
But would you believe Chris (doesn't miss) Patterson, who kicked well all night, missed it :eek: :eek:

Good win though for Leinster and McFadden was superb tonight and if it were anyone but BOD he'd be starting 13 for Leinster

Mossy always misses the easy ones. If that kick was wide out on the touchline he'd have made it fine.

Gutted that we let Sexton get the drop goal though, should've reclaimed that restart easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mossy always misses the easy ones. If that kick was wide out on the touchline he'd have made it fine.

Gutted that we let Sexton get the drop goal though, should've reclaimed that restart easily.[/b]

Still crispy that missed kick may be costly come end of season

Sexton has ice in his veins. Handles pressure like some kind of steam engine.(Yes I know a steam engine is hot and ice is cold but you get the point)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gutted that we let Sexton get the drop goal though, should've reclaimed that restart easily.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah no doubt I was just pointing out that whenever I see him miss it's always the easy ones and not the hard ones. But as I said we shouldn't have been in that position we should've claimed that restart, recycled and cleared down field. Instead we turned off and let Leinster turn us over again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah no doubt I was just pointing out that whenever I see him miss it's always the easy ones and not the hard ones. But as I said we shouldn't have been in that position we should've claimed that restart, recycled and cleared down field. Instead we turned off and let Leinster turn us over again.
[/b][/quote]

Sexton and McFadden I think were difference though. Seen McFadden kick last year and he looked shaky like a player that wasn't comfortable but tonight he kicked like a seasoned international.

The answer is Gloucester v Munster for those who care.

Great kicker, but I'm always going to rip into him in these instances...

Especially when he's responsible for screwing up my predictions. <_<

24818BP.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Sep 26 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The answer is Gloucester v Munster for those who care.

Great kicker, but I'm always going to rip into him in these instances...

Especially when he's responsible for screwing up my predictions. <_<[/b]

Oh that day what a day,
Was in the Famous Shed that day :p
Patterson kicking horrible and Tipoki ready to take on Vanikolo :lol:

But Patterson kicked well tonight just had horrible finish

Latest posts