• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh v Leinster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 26 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sexton and McFadden I think were difference though. Seen McFadden kick last year and he looked shaky like a player that wasn't comfortable but tonight he kicked like a seasoned international.[/b]

McFadden's goalkicking has always been better than Sextons, he has always looked like a top class goalkicker. I only saw the last 10 minutes tonight though, so missed his Goal Kicking.

Sexton DG = good
Paterson miss = bad

Is all i gathered

Some good performances from O'Brien, Kearney, Fitzgerald and Sexton. McFadden did alright but only got MoM on the back of his kicking and defense. Leinster still looked impotent in attack. The pack need to start using their brains more. Healy for one doesnt seem to use his at all. The amount of stupid penalties he gave away today reminded me of Vickery at his best.

Overall Leinster did everything they could to throw that one away. They got themselves in a position to win it twice during the second half but couldnt manage a restart, couldnt manage a lineout and seemed only delighted to give away pointless penalties all game. Couldnt believe Patterson missed that kick in the end. A ttoal let off.

You could see by Cullens interview at the end that he wasnt happy at all. Munster should eat us for Breakfast next Saturday.

P.S. For the discussions around Leinster hooker, Strauss from SA has already been signed and will join once the Currie Cup finishes up. Rumour has it, if things work out they are going to push him through to qualify for Ireland (3 years I think).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Sep 26 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some good performances from O'Brien, Kearney, Fitzgerald and Sexton. McFadden did alright but only got MoM on the back of his kicking and defense. Leinster still looked impotent in attack. The pack need to start using their brains more. Healy for one doesnt seem to use his at all. The amount of stupid penalties he gave away today reminded me of Vickery at his best.

Overall Leinster did everything they could to throw that one away. They got themselves in a position to win it twice during the second half but couldnt manage a restart, couldnt manage a lineout and seemed only delighted to give away pointless penalties all game. Couldnt believe Patterson missed that kick in the end. A ttoal let off.

You could see by Cullens interview at the end that he wasnt happy at all. Munster should eat us for Breakfast next Saturday.

P.S. For the discussions around Leinster hooker, Strauss from SA has already been signed and will join once the Currie Cup finishes up. Rumour has it, if things work out they are going to push him through to qualify for Ireland (3 years I think).[/b]

I don't want him! We have plenty of Irish Irish hookers. Best is still quite young (for a hooker) and Sean Cronin is destined to be the greatest Hooker in the history of the world ever.

Yeah but I think it's more to get him qualified Irish so we can have another foreign player than for him to actually play for the national team.

That was an awful game of rugby.

Focusing on Leinster, Berne clearly isn't an option at flyhalf. He steadfastly refused to vary his game and merely shipped everything on. He's a solid Magners League backup 12 but nothing more. If Sexton gets injured, I'd rather see Nacewa get a shot at 10. When Ian McKinley returns to fitness, I hope he becomes the backup 10 and gets some gametime while Sexton is rested.

McFadden was good, O'Brien was excellent, Heaslip was eager, Fitzgerald was superb defensively and hungry for action, Fogarty did the basics well and Kearney was okay. On the flipside, Healy gave away too many penalties, restarts were disasterous and D'arcy didn't get involved. The lack of tries is a big concern.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Seen McFadden kick last year and he looked shaky like a player that wasn't comfortable but tonight he kicked like a seasoned international.[/b]
His kick success rate was around 90% last season.

As for the hooker situation, I'd like Cronin next season if he bucks up his lineout throwing which can be very shaky.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 26 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That was an awful game of rugby.

Focusing on Leinster, Berne clearly isn't an option at flyhalf. He steadfastly refused to vary his game and merely shipped everything on. He's a solid Magners League backup 12 but nothing more. If Sexton gets injured, I'd rather see Nacewa get a shot at 10. When Ian McKinley returns to fitness, I hope he becomes the backup 10 and gets some gametime while Sexton is rested.

McFadden was good, O'Brien was excellent, Heaslip was eager, Fitzgerald was superb defensively and hungry for action, Fogarty did the basics well and Kearney was okay. On the flipside, Healy gave away too many penalties, restarts were disasterous and D'arcy didn't get involved. The lack of tries is a big concern.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Seen McFadden kick last year and he looked shaky like a player that wasn't comfortable but tonight he kicked like a seasoned international.[/b]
His kick success rate was around 90% last season.

As for the hooker situation, I'd like Cronin next season if he bucks up his lineout throwing which can be very shaky.
[/b][/quote]
Well ye Leinster fans would know McFaddens kicking better than I do but was just commenting on what I remember.
But Berne was very bad tonight and his kicking isn't best either as is Nacewa but think Nacewa has improved greatly in previous 12months so he'd be better option at 10 if sexton were injured.

And jus about when Strauss arrive don't he gotta be here before Oct 15th to be eligible for H'Cup that why we had to get Early Release for JDV.

But Munster wont be buying all this crap about poor form next saturday because they know Croke Park still rests fresh in mind and as regards the lack of tries same was happening before croke park and well look what happened that day <_<
We'll be ready, alert and fired up ;)

f*** me, the crowd was going nuts when paterson got that final penalty. then he f***en misses it!!!

thought Leinster's 10 whoever he was (didn't have a program) was ********. Thought Murrayfield a distinctly average stadium. The place it's in is a lovely part of the world though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 27 2009, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f*** me, the crowd was going nuts when paterson got that final penalty. then he f***en misses it!!!

thought Leinster's 10 whoever he was (didn't have a program) was ********. Thought Murrayfield a distinctly average stadium. The place it's in is a lovely part of the world though.[/b]

Leinster 10 was Shaun Berne and yes he was terrible.

Well Cheika will regret not bringing in another 10 as backup after last night. Is it just me or has the standard of outhalf play in the ML this year been quite poor(Manning, Priestland, Berne, Hook etc.) Serious lack of depth in the position worldwide actually.

Thought it was a decent game last night, in fact better than that. I was impressed that Edinburgh now seem to be able to stand toe to toe with the likes of Leinster and but for a missed kick would have justifiably won that game. To be fair to Mossy the kick was fairly long (he has a range and then Godman takes over). He was also carrying a knock from early in the game and struggled with his kicking all night. We lost the game at the previous restart, something we used to be poor at but have drastically improved of late. Convinced it was illegally turned over there but I was a fair way from the ruck, let's see what the highlights show.

With my very biased eyes I thought the ref let Leinster get away with a lot, only one penalty off a back row who never bound on was ridiculous, Cullen dragging the odd maul down (with other Leinster players attached), all sorts of silliness in the rucks (there was no gate as far as the ref was concerned). The thing is that Edinburgh need to learn to do the same.

Lots of work still to do but my glass is definitely half full after last night. Visser is looking like a good signing, Hamilton is getting better every game, our two 7s are playing fabulously and the backs look keen and eager everytime they get the ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 27 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well Cheika will regret not bringing in another 10 as backup after last night. Is it just me or has the standard of outhalf play in the ML this year been quite poor(Manning, Priestland, Berne, Hook etc.) Serious lack of depth in the position worldwide actually.[/b]

Manning is our 3rd choice though we know he is very bad :eek:

But agreed so far the standard has been not poor just inconsistent alot.
Think Cheika will be worried because if Sexton were to get injured Leinster have to adjust game but agreed there is a famine in outhalf position globally.
But yet just reading a collumn in paper and Argentinian back that is tested there it seem to works. Contepomi at start of his career was not outhalf and Hernandez and 1 or 2 more were same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Edinburgh Shark @ Sep 27 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thought it was a decent game last night, in fact better than that. I was impressed that Edinburgh now seem to be able to stand toe to toe with the likes of Leinster and but for a missed kick would have justifiably won that game. To be fair to Mossy the kick was fairly long (he has a range and then Godman takes over). He was also carrying a knock from early in the game and struggled with his kicking all night. We lost the game at the previous restart, something we used to be poor at but have drastically improved of late. Convinced it was illegally turned over there but I was a fair way from the ruck, let's see what the highlights show.

With my very biased eyes I thought the ref let Leinster get away with a lot, only one penalty off a back row who never bound on was ridiculous, Cullen dragging the odd maul down (with other Leinster players attached), all sorts of silliness in the rucks (there was no gate as far as the ref was concerned). The thing is that Edinburgh need to learn to do the same.

Lots of work still to do but my glass is definitely half full after last night. Visser is looking like a good signing, Hamilton is getting better every game, our two 7s are playing fabulously and the backs look keen and eager everytime they get the ball.[/b]
Ref wasn't biased Munster do it and Leinster developed it now too we dont play to rules of game we play to rules of ref. Cullen was dragging some mauls down but in a way that was accepted by the ref (legal or illegal is another matter) but that why Munster and Leinster compete at business end constantly.

As commentator said last night "Leinster used to play lovely rugby yet end up losing, but now they play ugly rugby and grind out wins" and that what it about getting the wins

I agree totally, once Edinburgh start to push the ref's boundaries I will lose my "we won morally" attitude! Until then we will struggle. Hey ho....

Latest posts