• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ELVs - England, Ireland and Wales *OPT* out

Im pleased that atleast the SRU was happy to implement the changes. These laws should be compulsory as the overall standard of international rugby is pretty poor. So the club arguments dont do it for me. ELV's arent a huge change like some seem to think, they just make attacking a bit easier which at the end of the day is what every rugby fan wants to see. [/b]

I think the Italians and French are going to implement the ELVs in respectively the Super10 and Top14/ProD2.

Haha, sorry bro.
I was quickly reading the thread when I was on my lunch when I posted.

Thought it was strange that they'd 'opted out', since I swear I read somewhere that the WRU were implementing them either with the regions or with the principality premiership teams. I even read in Rugby World that it was definitely being implemented in the European Challenge Cup. I like some of them, like the 5 meter behind the scrum rule - that would suit both Wales and Cardiff Blues since Ryan Jones and Xavier Rush could do a hell of a lot with the extra space, and it also gives plenty of extra room for the big wingers like Tom James, Jamie Roberts, Chris Cjekai as well as the smaller playmakers/finishers like Shane Williams. Pulling down the maul isn't a favorite of mine because 1)it's still dangerous, even if you have to pull them down from the waist 2)Your always gonna get tossers who think 'I can pull it down now, lets dive at the legs!' and 3) It's a bit of a frightening prospect for youth rugby players like myself, because we don't hold meetings about the 'safe way' to pull down mauls, so it could lead to a rise in injuries in younger players.
And no, we're not 'pussies' thank you very much, and I hope you've learned that John O'Niell is a tosser, and is never a valuable source of information...

And about the whole British identity thing - I've never really seen myself as British, always seen myself as a proud Welshman, who's also proud of his Italian Heritage (there's quite a few Welsh-Italians around y'know). And the monarchy? Don't hate the Queen, don't hate any of them tbh - I just think it's daft that the Prince of Wales hasn't actually been welsh for about 725 years. Llywelyn ein Lliw Olaf was the last one, and he died in 1275 or something, but then there was Owain Glyndwr in the 1400's, but he was a bit of a rebel one, so not sure if he's counted.

and I hope you've learned that John O'Niell is a tosser, and is never a valuable source of information...
[/b]

I knew he was a tosser :p

And great to see you know your Welsh history and such :bravo:

Super 14 Players Endorse ELV's

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,...3825614,00.html

90 per cent of the 260 responding polled players said that the laws were easier to understand, with 83 per cent claiming that the ELVs had been positive for the game.

Significantly, 85 per cent of the players said they endorsed the free-kick innovation - the award of a free-kick instead of a penalty for all offences bar offside and serious foul play - which the northern hemisphere unions have, by and large, refused to trial next season.[/b]

Food for thought I guess. I'm actually quite surprised the numbers were that drastically in favour of the new rules. I figured a few more of the fatty's wouldn't approve.

<div class='quotemain'> and I hope you've learned that John O'Niell is a tosser, and is never a valuable source of information...
[/b]

I knew he was a tosser :p

And great to see you know your Welsh history and such :bravo:
[/b][/quote]

:D Just thought I'd educate the masses, y'never know when a bit of Welsh history could come in handy!

You only have to watch the highlight reel from the super 14 season to see that the ELV's are a great thing for the game and at the end of the day the direction it takes is the one that the generel public majority of fans want not what the purists think.

Nobody likes watching a game where the only way to win is kick girly field goals and rely on penalties to scrape by over stronger opponents.

well a highlights reel will make anything look good (except for that england scotland game ugggh) you can sday look highlights these rules are amazing. ill wait till i see a few full matches

well a highlights reel will make anything look good (except for that england scotland game ugggh) you can sday look highlights these rules are amazing. ill wait till i see a few full matches[/b]
Except it will be 3 times as long as the NH highlight reel. ;)

Not much different from the SH fullbacks punting the thing to each other. At least the ball doesn't spend so much time in the air... ;)

We also enjoy watching the refree lift his hand up in the air to give away penalties for things like 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side or 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side or 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side or 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side or 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side or 'hands on the ground' or 'holding on' or entering the ruck/maul from the side, the list is endless.

Also, watching the scoreline go like this makes me....well, let's just say we're lucky we have a half time, or I don't think I could cope.

0-0
3-0
3-3
6-3
9-3
9-6
12-6
12-9
15-9
18-9
21-9
21-12

I mean, holy wow!

The world of rugby will have to decide whether to accept the ELV's. I personally love the ELV's but I'm not sure how the northern teams are going to cope with them. In my opinion the way the world of rugby has taken to the new laws is childish and stupid. The laws should have been completely accepted by all nations, or not accepted at all. Having half the world playing under different, new rules is going to lead to conflict. During the winter tours are the southern hemisphere teams going to switch back to the old laws? It just seems silly.

Also, watching the scoreline go like this makes me....well, let's just say we're lucky we have a half time, or I don't think I could cope.

0-0
3-0
3-3
6-3
9-3
9-6
12-6
12-9
15-9
18-9
21-9
21-12

I mean, holy wow!
[/b]

Yeah! Those first two tri-nations games between New Zealand and South Africa this year really were, you know, wow in terms of how penalties and DGs contributed most of the points.

Seriously, lets get over ourselves here and make four points clear:

1) Very few games in the GP are decided by penalties alone. I mean, seriously Dundee, you're seriously saying that every game up here has about eleven succesful penalty kicks?

2) Just because a game does indeed see lots of penalties and DGs being scored, doesn't mean that the game is any less exciting. Go watch replays of the first two Tri-Nations games of this year for proof of that fact. Few tries scored, decided more on the boot but two of the most interesting games of the year by far.

3) If it were Chris Paterson kicking those seven penalties for Scotland against England, you're be dancing on the tables, admit it :p

4) Dan Parks for Scotland, less so, but well, the enemy of my so called enemy (even if the so called enemy has long since forgotten that he was even your enemy once) is definitely your friend!

Now, for the love of god can we just wait patiently for the new season to kick off before we pass judgement? Please?

The world of rugby will have to decide whether to accept the ELV's. I personally love the ELV's but I'm not sure how the northern teams are going to cope with them. [/b]

On the contary, I think it is going to be very interesting. First of all, we have to accept that apart from one or two areas, the new changes aren't exactly all that radical. We're not going to see NH teams have a massive mental breakdown because they can't possibly comprehend the rules. One thing to watch is if you have teams with superb packs who have traditionally been known to scrum well using the new rules about the scrum to their advantage. I could definitely see the better scrummaging sides in the GP hurriedly going over as much footage of the S14 season just gone to examine how they can make full use of it. Imagine Wales against Australia, if Australia haven't got their scrum up to scratch, could you see how lethal the likes of Hook and Henson could be with that extra 5m the new rules give them?

Once again a topic that starts poor with a poor attack and is only going to get nasiter and more personal!

Stevo-o mate stop with the little sniping comments up there, is that the article ***le?

No its not .... so why the hell make it so personal, if the NH dont want to trial the ELV's im sorry thats their decision not yours or the SH! [/b]

The sig is hilarious!

On rugby: little Shane would love those ELVs. Pity you don't have more of him.

Shtove, if the new man at Munster can wring a little bit more out of that pack at scrum time, theres a bright future ahead of them under the ELVs, thats my thought anyway.

Latest posts