• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6N 2016 - General Chit Chat

Just throwing it out there, how would people feel about Lancaster being in charge of U20, Saxons or even a generic "team development" overseeing everything from U18 through to Saxons? I do feel it is the sort of role that would have suited him better and although I do think he had to go, I would be sad if he never had a role in the English setup anywhere. The man was respected and got England playing some nice rugby in his last 2 years before the WC.

Lancaster is supposedly moseying around the Southern Hemisphere at the moment, as he been tipped for a couple of head coach roles- Stormers was one I thought, briefly?

That experience will only improve him, I'd gladly have him back at some point in the future.

It would suit him but probably not till Eddie is gone.

In fairness - he shouldn't have had to suffer that injury.

He should have spent the last 4 years watching from the sofa.

Just throwing it out there, how would people feel about Lancaster being in charge of U20, Saxons or even a generic "team development" overseeing everything from U18 through to Saxons? I do feel it is the sort of role that would have suited him better and although I do think he had to go, I would be sad if he never had a role in the English setup anywhere. The man was respected and got England playing some nice rugby in his last 2 years before the WC.

If he wanted the role, sure, but I don't think he does.

If everyone was fit and ready to go for England. What would your 10-12-13 combo be.

I'm going for
10- Farrell
12- Slade
13 Joseph

(Manu on the bench to cover 12+13)

Daly possible utility replacement but may miss out.

What's your choice?

I'd risk Slade-Manu-Daly just to see what happened.

I'd like to see that to...

Otherwise...

10 - Ford
12 - Slade
13 - JJ

Daly, Tuilagi on Bench. Happy to bring Farrell in over Ford form dependent...

10 - Andy Goode
12 - Farrell
13 - Barritt

Perfection.

In all seriousness, I'd like us to have multiple combinations available to play a sort of horses for courses thing. Ford-Slade-Daly is lightweight but gives us the most kicking and passing options. Slade-Tuilagi-JJ probably better for tighter defences. If Slade can work at 10 and 12 interchangeably, that would be fantastic as I was him involved in some capacity, really don't see his future at 13 at all though.

10 - Andy Goode
12 - Farrell
13 - Barritt

Perfection.

In all seriousness, I'd like us to have multiple combinations available to play a sort of horses for courses thing. Ford-Slade-Daly is lightweight but gives us the most kicking and passing options. Slade-Tuilagi-JJ probably better for tighter defences. If Slade can work at 10 and 12 interchangeably, that would be fantastic as I was him involved in some capacity, really don't see his future at 13 at all though.

It strikes me that all talk of Slade holding down a spot at 13 should now be superfluous. No doubting that he had a decent game in his international outing there, and plays extremely well for Exeter there, but it seems like he'd be wasted there. Not only do we have 2 (potential) top-drawer talents vying for the starting berth, but he does seem to be a serious option at 10 or 12.

In terms of Daly, I can't help but feel that his versatility will be his downfall. Having someone on the bench who can over both wings, as well as 13 and 15, seems like a handy tool to have at EJ's disposal.

I'd risk Slade-Manu-Daly just to see what happened.

With Slade as the primary goal kicker?

I just think that with over 50% of points in most games coming from goal kicking, you need someone with 80-85%+ in the modern game.

Not sure Slade is the man to hit those percentages.

Good thought. What are Slade's kicking stats?

I always like the idea of a 2nd kicker in case the first choice is having an off day and Daly will also nail a % of the kicks that Ford, or even Farrell, wouldn't even attempt. Would that offset any weakness that Slade has?

And actually we never see Daly try the easier kicks - is he potentially good enough to develop into the primary kicker?

Daly would probably be my kicking choice, but if Wilkinson could be persuaded to coach regularly then even Mako could step up.

I guess if Daly doesn't get the chance at Wasps we'll never know how good he could be. But his kicking ability is a real differentiator from JJ.

Whatever his success ratio its good enough to make teams think twice about conceding pens anywhere forward of our 10m line, which brings a slight change of mindset. If you only had Ford they'd only be worried about conceding inside their 10m line. That's a big difference, the more threats we carry, whether through he boot, ball in hand or maul, the better.

Latest posts